Contribute
Register

GUIDE: Toshiba C655-S5212 (HD3000 w/ full QE/CI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0

UPDATE (7/31/2011): Added list of extensions to the profile below (i.e., replaced the screen image that folks couldn't read with a Word file).

UPDATE (7/27/11): LAN interface now works using the Atheros 8152 kext for Lion located at kexts.com. External monitor interface and sleep confirmed not working. Added boot.com.plist and smbios.plist files below. Also added a list of the contents of Extras/Extensions.

UPDATE (7/26/11): As airplaneman19 points out, the i3-2310m processor has an HD3000 graphics processor, not the HD2000. Ignore my comments about HD2000. Thanks airplaneman19!

Just wanted to pass along a brief guide for loading Lion on a Toshiba C655-S5215.

I picked up a C655-S5212 at Best Buy for $400. It has a second-gen Core i3-2310M processor with Intel HD2000 HD3000 graphics. Turned out I also needed a USB wireless interface, and I bought an Asus N10 miniature USB interface at Microcenter for $20.

Things that are working:
HD2000 HD3000 graphics interface with full QE/CI.
Audio
Camera
Keyboard and trackpad
USB ports
LAN interface

Things not working:
Wireless interface (Realtek 8188CE)
Function keys (e.g., brightness).
Sleep mode
Things not tested:
Sleep mode
Ethernet (wired interface)

Summary of the install procedure:

1) Installed OS X 10.7 onto a laptop drive loaded in an external drive enclosure with a USB interface. I used the Lion installer loaded in a separate partition on my hackintosh hard drive, per Tony's procedure in his blog.
2) Used Multibeast to load Chimera and various kexts. (See below).
3) Moved the drive into the laptop.
4) Key things to note: (a) Needed to use the MacbookPro 8,1 system definition in Multibeast in order to get the display to work properly. (b) The display worked correctly with both the 64 bit and 32 bit kernel, but had to use the 32-bit kernel in order to use the Voodoo PS2 kexts for the keyboard and mouse.
4) Downloaded Voodoo Battery from kexts.com, and loaded it, works without issues.
5) Downloaded the Atheros 8152 LAN kext for Lion from kexts.com, loaded it, and it works.

That's all it took. I was amazed that the HD2000 HD3000 graphics worked out of the box, no tweaks required. It shows up in system profiler as an HD3000, but works fine. I confirmed that QE/CI was working by running glzgear in a terminal window.

Could not get the onboard wireless interface to work – couldn't find a driver. The Asus N10 loaded and worked without effort (just remember to add the Asus utility (that is loaded in your Applications folder) to your start-up list in your user account). The N10 extends only about ½" from the USB port, so using it is no big deal.

Next step will be to get the display brightness controls to work. Haven't yet found a kext or DSDT edit, but I'll keep looking.

I suspect Realtek drivers for the 8188CE will appear at some point. Until then, the N10 is fine.

Geekbenched at about 4600. Not bad for $400 bucks.

Will try Cinebench tonight.

I suspect that Lion will open the door to using many generic laptops.

(Multibeast settings:

Easybeast Install
System utilities (rebuild caches/repair utilities)
Audio – VoodooHDA 0.2.72
Miscellaneous – FakeSMC plugins
Voodoo PS2 Keyboard
Voodoo trackpad
Chimera 1.4.1 r877
Boot options – 32 bit GraphicsEnabler=no
System Definition – Macbook Pro 8,1

Also, get Voodoo battery and Atheros 8152 LAN kext for Lion from kexts.com.

Attachments

• com.apple.Boot.plist
    476 bytes · Views: 476
  • smbios.plist
    485 bytes · Views: 440
  • Toshiba C655-5212 Extensions.docx
    50.8 KB · Views: 449
Re: GUIDE: Toshiba C655-S5212 (HD2000 w/ full QE/CI)

Which guide did u use ? Been running into dead ends when trying this on same
Laptop

Doesn't the i3-2310m use HD3000?

Thanks Silentsage

you and tonymac are awesome got lion finally inning in my c655- s5212 too.

cheers

Besides what you posted for the Multibeast settings and kexts, were there any DSDT edits or boot flags or issues when installing Snow Leopard?

I don't use a DSDT, and didn't use any boot flags.

I looked into editting the DSDT to get the brightness controls to work, but it doesn't appear to use the same device names as motherboards.

hey,

i bought the same computer from best buy, let me ask you some specific questions:

1- since by default OS LION recognizes HD 3000 natively, did you try to connect the external monitor using the VGA interface?

2- please let me know about wired ethernet, does it work natively or extra kext is needed for it?

3- since the touchpad is multi touch capable, does OS LION recognizes it as multi touch capable touchpad? if it does then did you try gestures?

4- sometimes built in webcam doesn't sync with voice and there is lag under windows 7, did you experience such thing under OS LION?

5- as for 64bit OS LION boot you stated it works fine but since you only got 32bit voodoo PS2 kext thats why you boot into 32bit in order to use keyboard, so i assume besides this particular kext there is no other problem running this laptop in 64bit mode?

6- wifi kext is missing as you stated i am sure it will pop up some where on web.

7- how is the overall performance of your laptop under OS LION.

8- after your reply i'll begin turning my laptop (same as yours) into hackintosh, so would you please itemized all the kexts you have used for this laptop's different components.

thanks in advance man.

joeymac - see update in first posting

1) Tested the external monitor connection, no luck. I suspect that when Tony updates Multibeast the kexts that are provided for the HD3000 may fix this.

2) Wired internet requires the Atehros 8152 LAN kext for Lion that is available at kexts.com. Works fine once installed.

3) Trackpad supports 2 finger scrolling, but not gestures. Tap to click and two finger clicks are unreliable. I think the problem is with the trackpad hardware itself, not software, since it behaves the same way in Windows.

4) I haven't tested the webcam. I only know it works because it tries to take your picture when you install Lion. Facetime works (shows your image on screen).

7) Overall performance is excellent. This laptop was a real bargain for the amount of performance you get.

8) See image in the profile.

Good luck, keep us posted on how it works for you.

WOW :eek:
This is exactly what I was looking for: low-budget laptop with internal graphics.
I'll go to BestBuy ASAP and take a careful look at this model!

In the mean time, I have some questions for you.
1) Has any of you tried to tweak DSDT to enable external VGA?
One could extract DSDT while you're running Windows. Right?
If this is possible I'll be willing to switch to this model.

2) Can I replace wireless adapter with one compatible with OSX?
In snow leo era, people have purchased wireless adapter that is compatible with snow and installed to their laptops.
Would this trick work with this laptop?
Do you think it is easy to replace?
For example, my current laptop has separated covers in the bottom for HDD/ RAM/ Wireless adapter.
I replaced them without having to disassemble the whole laptop.

3) Could you let me know the name of the audio codec?
I'll google a way to enable it by DSDT (not by the voodoo kext).

4) For whatever region, I cannot see the image file you uploaded (from Firefox).
I could download the other two plist files.
Why is that?

Thanks a lot!

I changed the list of extensions to a Word file, see the first posting.

System profiler says the codec is "Intel High Definition Audio'.

FYI, the VoodooHDA extension works fine with the codec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back