Contribute
Register

Guide to Semi-Working Dell Inspiron 1525

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand this part:The Installer Log, when set to all, should show Phase 4 of 7 Starting. The reason it has to be done now is because I was unsuccessfully to get the usb to boot if I did the next step after UniBeast finished without using a different app to help. I have tried to manually take ownership and rebuild the kernelcache and I can't get it to boot.

Which part specifically?

All of it pretty much

I do not advise this to be used as an every day OS. The graphics problem I'm still having makes a lot every todays difficult to do. Once that issue has been resolved it should be almost fully functional. My USB stick is titled Installer. If you want to call yours something else just replace Installer with whatever you call yours every time you see it. Also I have not tested this as a update to Lion or Snow Leopard, I have only done a fresh installation. I have taken a lot of things from a lot of places to make this work and had to tweak a few things myself. I am in no way taking credit for all the hard work that went in to these kexts but I don't know where I got most of this stuff so I can't give the due credit.

1. Download the folder of goodies.

2. Create a USB installer using UniBeast - Mountain Lion Edition.
The time remain will start at 3 minutes and then increase as it runs. Don't be alarmed, it will take between 20-30 minutes do create. About 5 minutes after you start Unibeast do the next step. The Installer Log, when set to all, should show Phase 4 of 7 Starting. The reason it has to be done now is because I was unsuccessfully to get the usb to boot if I did the next step after UniBeast finished without using a different app to help. I have tried to manually take ownership and rebuild the kernelcache and I can't get it to boot.

3. Resolve kext issues
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Installer/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext
sudo cp -r /path/to/downloaded/folder/sle/IOPCIFamily.kext /Volumes/Installer/System/Library/Extensions

4. Copy downloaded folder to your USB stick

5. Install Mountain Lion
Boot into your USB installer and install Mountain Lion to your preferred partition. Once again I have not tested this as an update to a Lion partion and I do not recommend you using this as your primary OS. Again the time estimated is not correct. It takes 30-40 minutes to install. If you are sitting next to your computer when the install finishes and you can perform the next step without having to restart your computer. Just open terminal before the automatic timer on the Successfully Install screen restarts your computer and enter the code.

6. Fix Mountain Lion
To be able to get your new install to boot we have to replace IOPCIFamily.kext again. Boot back into your USB installer and in terminal enter
cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions
where OSX is the name of your newly installed Mountain Lion label.

7. Booting in to Mountain Lion
Since we don't have Chimera installed on our new partion yet we have to boot from USB but select our Mountain Lion platrform to boot from. If you have having problems or you think it is stuck boot with -v and have patience. If you're have problems and post on here please don't just stay that wheel is spinning of you have a kernel panic. No one can help you with that information. Boot -v and let us know what is causing the kernel panic or what line its freezing at. Run your setup and you will be taken to your Mountain Lion desktop. You probably want to copy your folder of goodies over the desktop now. The rest of my guide will assume this just edit some of the stuff if you want it different.

8. Post Install

a. *****Bootloader*****
Use Chimera stand alone installer to install just the bootloader.

b. *****Wifi*****
sudo cp -r /Users/username/Desktop/mlfiles/sle/IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions
where username is your username

c. *****Partial Sound, and other necessities*****
mkdir /Extra
sudo cp -r /Users/username/Desktop/mlfiles/e* /Extra
This gives us a DSDT and a new com.chameleon.Boot.plist and Extensions.

d. *****Sound and Trackpad*****
sudo cp -r /Users/username/Desktop/mlfiles/sle/* /System/Library/Extensions
This gives us sound, better power management and fan control as well mouse and keyboard. Trackpad still doesn't work like a mac trackpad just a regular mouse.

e. *****Color scheme*****
sudo cp -r /Users/username/Desktop/mlfiles/Graphics/* /System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles
Now go to System Preferences -> Displays -> Color and select Dell 1525. This will give us more a more mac-like display profile. Also copy all AppleIntellGMA* kexts from mlfiles/sle to your /System/Library/Extensions This will help the graphics work a little better, still not perfect though.

To reboot you have to kill the power to you laptop. On next boot cycle, Restart/Shutdown will work properly.

What doesn't work,
Graphics aren't boot correctly. It's using the stock drivers rather than special drivers for our display. I'm still trying to get this to work. This is what I'm spending my time on.
no QE/CI so lauchpad takes about 30 seconds to load.
No brightness dimmer.
Sleep, was sketchy back in Lion. I haven't even looked in to getting it working on here.
Trackpad was also sketchy in Lion. Haven't looked in to it.
HDMI probably will never work
Card Reader- Works with VooDooSDHC.kext

***Update 05/27***

So I finally got around to trying to update to 10.8.3 and with a couple tweaks I got it to work. First use the combo updater, not the app store to update. Again it will say that the update failed, I think this is due to removing AppleGraphicsControl.kext. Anyways before you restart you need to roll back some kexts which are all include in the zip which I just updated. AppleACPIPlatform.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext, IO80211Family.kext, and AppleHDA.kext all need to be replaced so do this command

sudo cp -r /path/to/all/those/kexts /System/Library/Extensions

Then after a restart you should be up and running a 10.8.3 system. Let me know if you have any issues.

**Update 07/14***

I finally needed to use my SD card reader and it didn't work so I added VooDooSDHC.kext to /Extra/Extensions and victory. This has been included in the attachment.

I also went ahead and updated to 10.8.4. This latest update does break a bunch of stuff so just like 10.8.3

sudo cp -r /all/kext/in/sle/folder/of/mlfiles /System/Library/Extensions

Also there is a new file in the mlfiles attachment, airportd. This is the 10.8.3 rollback and it allows you to actually connect to wireless networks. 10.8.4 just gives a connection time out any time you try to connect to a secure wireless network.

sudo cp -r /path/to/mlfiles/airportd /usr/libexec

Now you can reboot and everything should be working great.

Hi I have made a usb drive with unibeast for ML. Could you please help me with point no 3. Because I tried and am getting a hault pl refer the snapshot.
System - Dell Inspiron 1525
Ram - 4GB
HDD - 500 GB
CORE2DUO INTEL.

Attachments

• 5CC40081-7ABF-466B-9178-07140B44570E.jpeg
    5CC40081-7ABF-466B-9178-07140B44570E.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 87
Any one got passed [PCI Configuration Begin] screen on installation for Dell Inspiron 1525 as i am stuck on the screen.
Tried -v, -v -x, npci=x200, PCIRootUID=1 but no luck.....
Help appreciated Thanks. BTW i have LION 10.7.3 installed on the laptop.

HI,
Could you please explain more on :
3. Resolve kext issues
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Installer/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext
sudo cp -r /path/to/downloaded/folder/sle/IOPCIFamily.kext /Volumes/Installer/System/Library/Extensions

4. Copy downloaded folder to your USB stick

Now what I understand is i need to copy IOPCIFamily.kext to my USB (Installer) in the folder sle Right?
And copy the mlfiles to USB drive..... or only have to copy sle folder.. Waiting for your kind response... I am stuck at this point.
I have a dell inspiron 1525 4gb ram and have lion 10.7.2 running on it.

Stuck at screen - any help???????????????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 116
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back