Contribute
Register

Guide to make a bootable Recovery HD partition for clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!

I'm on Capitan.

Whenever I choose the "Recovery" partition in clover, it ends in a kernel panic. Verbose mode doesn't give me much information.

It starts with "Recovery Image verification fail with status [0x800000000000000e]"

The rest of the text was then compressed to one line and unreadable during boot process.

I did everything like in your guide, deleted the old recovery partition and then created a new one. The script ran fine and the partition appeared in my volumes list, but the boot process ends in a kernel panic.

It is possible to boot the recovery system fine from an USB stick. But the configuration on that stick differs from the configuration I use on my computer. different kexts and config.plist. It is optimized to run the El Capitan installer. With this bootloader, I can select "Recovery" and it boots without problems! If I could just make clover use different kexts and a different config.plist and make it work directly on my computer, that would be super awesome.

Hi there!

I'm on Capitan.

Whenever I choose the "Recovery" partition in clover, it ends in a kernel panic. Verbose mode doesn't give me much information.

It starts with "Recovery Image verification fail with status [0x800000000000000e]"

The rest of the text was then compressed to one line and unreadable during boot process.

I did everything like in your guide, deleted the old recovery partition and then created a new one. The script ran fine and the partition appeared in my volumes list, but the boot process ends in a kernel panic.

It is possible to boot the recovery system fine from an USB stick. But the configuration on that stick differs from the configuration I use on my computer. different kexts and config.plist. It is optimized to run the El Capitan installer. With this bootloader, I can select "Recovery" and it boots without problems! If I could just make clover use different kexts and a different config.plist and make it work directly on my computer, that would be super awesome.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with missing kexts. OSX main is loading a couple of extra kexts which makes it start up smoothly. So I just learned how to add customizations to the BaseSystem.dmg and I tried to swap the one on the recovery partition with my patched one. Guess what, the partition is too small and I am unable to resize it - not via GParted and not through the Disk Utility. Guess I am stuck here...

good idea! however my BaseSystem is 1,8 GB and the partition only 200 MB. I guess there is no compression that is so extremely effective ;)

good idea! however my BaseSystem is 1,8 GB and the partition only 200 MB. I guess there is no compression that is so extremely effective ;)

Weird, my BaseSystem is only a bit more than a GB and my recovery partition 650 MB. Do you know why your recovery partition is so small (something might be amiss here)?

I want to make a bootable recovery but I'm on Sierra. Any chance this method will work on Sierra too?
It's possible give it a try and report back haven't had time to mess with anything lately

And can this be done on High Sierra, 10.13.6 with a APFS SSD ?

Any tried it?

And can this be done on High Sierra, 10.13.6 with a APFS SSD ?

Any tried it?

I have not had any time to do any testing give it a go and report back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back