Contribute
Register

Guide to Installing Mountain Lion on HP Probook

Yes, I used the install file for 10.8.3. No 10.8.2 left, not even in backups, sorry. Is there a way to download the previous version again from Apple?

Nope, no way to download now. Oh well... I think BigDonkey can confirm this when he gets his laptop out of storage.

Re ssdt-1: I always deleted or overwrote the original ssdt.aml, not knowing that more than 1 ssdt is acknowledged. It still worked. Strange.

It could work, but in that case you're running w/ no "cpu pstate" SSDT. I was worried that you might get AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext panic in that case, but maybe not. If it doesn't panic, you're at least running slower (probably at x16).

On my system, I just leave the /Extra/ssdt-1.aml for the case that I want to regenerate DSDT by booting without it... usually to test things in ProBook Installer.

If it doesn't panic, you're at least running slower (probably at x16).
That's possible. During the pre-PBI installation phase I didn't pay attention to speed.

On my system, I just leave the /Extra/ssdt-1.aml for the case that I want to regenerate DSDT by booting without it... usually to test things in ProBook Installer.

Will follow your example.

Here is a video in case anyone is curious to see how it runs. (HP Probook 4530s Intel i3)

[video=youtube;3d2kz8Ku7pA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d2kz8Ku7pA[/video]

If boot0 error encountered:

The guide linked in step 15 instructs us to use Multibeast which you don't recommend for Probooks. I found a clearer and more thorough guide.

This is for people who have successfully installed OSX but can only boot with Unibeast USB and get a boot0 error otherwise.

Items needed:

Unibeast Installer USB
One Addiditonal USB
Unpkg -> http://www.timdoug.com/unpkg/
Chimera -> http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=164

Steps:

1. Give the additional USB (not the Unibeast installer) a name you'll remember.

2. Run Unpkg and Drag Chimera into Unpkg

3. Unpkg will create a new folder with Chimera's contents

4. Open the new Chimera folder and browse to usr->standalone->i386 and copy the boot1h file into the additional USB drive.

5. Restart computer and boot into Unibeast Installer

6. Do not begin installation, instead Open Disk Utility and unmount the drive on which OSX is installed

7. Exit Disk Utility

8. Open Terminal and type
diskutil list

9. This will bring up a list of drives on your computer. Find the drive with the OSX installation and write down it's identifier. (eg. disk0s2)

10. Now change your Terminal's focus to your additional USB by typing the following in the Terminal, replacing usb with the name you gave it, and including quotes.
cd /Volumes/"usb"

11. Now your bash will address your USB. In the terminal type the following replacing indentifier with the disk identifier you wrote down, don't use quotes this time.
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/identifier

12. This will copy the bootloader to your HD.

13. Reboot and now you should boot into Chimera without using the Unibeast USB.

Hi,

I cannot create the USB installer and I do not understand why as I feel I followed every single step. Unibeast says "The installation has failed", and I tried with several USB flash drives. What did I do wrong?

- I run a 4530s with OSX 10.6.8, and my purchased Install OSX Mountain Lion app is in my application folder.
- I formatted the USB flash drive with MBR partition to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with the name Installer.
- I downloaded the last UNIBEAST version 2.0.1
- I selected my usb stick (Installer) as the destination Mac App Store Mountain Lion, and Laptop Support.

Once I click Install, it says : The Installation as Failed.

Thanks.

Hi,

I cannot create the USB installer and I do not understand why as I feel I followed every single step. Unibeast says "The installation has failed", and I tried with several USB flash drives. What did I do wrong?

- I run a 4530s with OSX 10.6.8, and my purchased Install OSX Mountain Lion app is in my application folder.
- I formatted the USB flash drive with MBR partition to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with the name Installer.
- I downloaded the last UNIBEAST version 2.0.1
- I selected my usb stick (Installer) as the destination Mac App Store Mountain Lion, and Laptop Support.

Once I click Install, it says : The Installation as Failed.

Thanks.

Is your 4530s with 10.6.8 up-to-date with respect to all OS X updates? Especially the ones related to the Installer??

Otherwise, compress and post your /var/log/install.log...

This was definitely the issue... I updated and now it's working.

Thanks!

I also get the same error like you on my hp probook 4430s. and i also don't know why.

hi guys

I am new to this, have been reading as much as I could about SL & ML on a 4540s /Intel Core i3 2.4Ghz 3110M 3rd Gen.
But I can't seem to understand if usb 3 speeds and HDMI out with audio work using the latest probook installer.
I own copies of SL and ML and was wondering wich you recommend. I am making a FCP7 edit station.

thank you so much for any answers, I am in your debt.

Back