Contribute
Register

Guide to Installing Mountain Lion on HP Probook

Well I blew it big time now. I used HP Probook Installer using all options from point 14 in the OP. And then made a big error, I think, by deleting the DSDT.aml from /Extra. In the OP was written that there shouldn't be a dsdt.aml in the /Extra folder and I mis-interpreted that. Booting results now in a black screen. Is there a way to get back in the system? Booting from USB also results in a black screen.

You should read the instructions carefully. With 1600x900, you need the SSDT referred to as the "mini SSDT" if you are to boot without a patched DSDT.

You should read the instructions carefully. With 1600x900, you need the SSDT referred to as the "mini SSDT" if you are to boot without a patched DSDT.

I know, I know.

Is there a bootflag out of this misery?

I know, I know.

Is there a bootflag out of this misery?

Boot using the USB you originally used to install. It has the SSDT present.

If your USB has a new enough Chimera on it, you can use IGPDeviceID=0122

Boot using the USB you originally used to install. It has the SSDT present.

If your USB has a new enough Chimera on it, you can use IGPDeviceID=0122

Tried it, still a black screen on boot. The SSDT is still on the harddisk BTW. I deleted the DSDT.

Tried it, still a black screen on boot. The SSDT is still on the harddisk BTW. I deleted the DSDT.

SSDT on HDD doesn't matter if you're booting from USB. What matters is USB configuration...

SSDT on HDD doesn't matter if you're booting from USB. What matters is USB configuration...

So, is there a way out of this, self inflicted, mess. Please without complete reinstallation.

I re-installed ML 10.8.4. The ML installer was created back in 2013 and has HP Probook Installer 6.1.2 on it. Is that the correct version for ML upto 10.8.4? When I install the 10.8.5 combo should I then use a newer PBI. What is then the preferred version?

Earlier this week, before I made the stupid error of deleting the DSDT, everything was working fine. LAN, WiFI, audio. Now after re-installing 10.8.4 everything seemed OK. WiFi didn't work, but that was to be expected. I ran PBI to insert the 9285 patch and it should be OK. WiFi shows up under Networks but it doesn't find any router in the neighborhood. Earlier this week it found about 10. Is there any special setup needed?

So, is there a way out of this, self inflicted, mess. Please without complete reinstallation.

I re-installed ML 10.8.4. The ML installer was created back in 2013 and has HP Probook Installer 6.1.2 on it. Is that the correct version for ML upto 10.8.4? When I install the 10.8.5 combo should I then use a newer PBI. What is then the preferred version?

Earlier this week, before I made the stupid error of deleting the DSDT, everything was working fine. LAN, WiFI, audio. Now after re-installing 10.8.4 everything seemed OK. WiFi didn't work, but that was to be expected. I ran PBI to insert the 9285 patch and it should be OK. WiFi shows up under Networks but it doesn't find any router in the neighborhood. Earlier this week it found about 10. Is there any special setup needed?

You should use the latest ProBook Installer. I believe it is: HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (6.1.13r3).

Alternatively, consider moving to Clover. System updates are not as messy.

You should use the latest ProBook Installer. I believe it is: HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (6.1.13r3).

Alternatively, consider moving to Clover. System updates are not as messy.

Clover for Mountain Lion?

Or Yosemite?

Already created an USB installer for Yosemity, and it does the EFI boot but after selecting Boot OS X Install from OS X Base System I get a black screen. I put the plist from HD3000 1600x900 on the stick and as I can see in the correct folder.

Clover for Mountain Lion?

Or Yosemite?

Already created an USB installer for Yosemity, and it does the EFI boot but after selecting Boot OS X Install from OS X Base System I get a black screen. I put the plist from HD3000 1600x900 on the stick and as I can see in the correct folder.

Most Probook people are running Yosemite. If you need help booting the installer, post your EFI/Clover folder that you're trying to use. It is easy to make a mistake first time through. Sometimes you need to use an HDMI monitor for installation (1600x900 displays have always been quirky).

Most Probook people are running Yosemite. If you need help booting the installer, post your EFI/Clover folder that you're trying to use. It is easy to make a mistake first time through. Sometimes you need to use an HDMI monitor for installation (1600x900 displays have always been quirky).

The Efi/Clover is a Windows readable folder isn't it?

Attachments

• clover.jpg
    clover.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 144
  • EFICloverDir.zip
    4 MB · Views: 141
Back