Contribute
Register

Guide to Installing Mavericks on HP Probook

So I got it now working. Everything works, except for sound. What could be wrong here?

Is this a fresh install? What options did you use in the ProBook Installer? Compress and post your /var/log/install.log.

I updated my 10.8.5 to 10.9 and everything is working except my bootloader. I tried to reinstall it with the probook installer and with chameleon wizard but i always got the "install an operating system" on boot. I only can boot with the installer USB drive. What can be the problem? Before mavericks i never had any boot problems.

I updated my 10.8.5 to 10.9 and everything is working except my bootloader. I tried to reinstall it with the probook installer and with chameleon wizard but i always got the "install an operating system" on boot. I only can boot with the installer USB drive. What can be the problem? Before mavericks i never had any boot problems.

What is your partition setup? It sounds like you don't have an active partition.

What is your partition setup? It sounds like you don't have an active partition.

I have to partitions, one 280 gb for the system and a 40 gb for some files.

I have to partitions, one 280 gb for the system and a 40 gb for some files.

Not enough information. What is the output of this?
Code:
# in Terminal
diskutil list
sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0

Is this a fresh install? What options did you use in the ProBook Installer? Compress and post your /var/log/install.log.

How do I compress the install.log?

I think, that I now messed up my MAC OS X. I only can get into it, with -f via boot dongle.

If not, it gives me the apple screen, with the error icon on top after a while. And the wheel under it spinning.

How do I compress the install.log?

I think, that I now messed up my MAC OS X. I only can get into it, with -f via boot dongle.

If not, it gives me the apple screen, with the error icon on top after a while. And the wheel under it spinning.

Probably best to start over and follow the guide carefully.

Not enough information. What is the output of this?
Code:
# in Terminal
diskutil list
sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0

Here you go:
Code:
[FONT=Andale Mono]localhost:~ doncarlos$ diskutil list/dev/disk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]   2:                  Apple_HFS system                  279.2 GB   disk0s2[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]   3:                  Apple_HFS data                    40.4 GB    disk0s3[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]/dev/disk1[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *7.9 GB     disk1[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]   1:                  Apple_HFS Installer               7.9 GB     disk1s1[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]localhost:~ doncarlos$ sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]Password:[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]Disk: /dev/rdisk0    geometry: 38913/255/63 [625142448 sectors][/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]Signature: 0xAA55[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]         Starting       Ending[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono] #: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [     start -       size][/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]------------------------------------------------------------------------[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono] 1: EE 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [         1 -  625142447] <Unknown ID>[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono] 2: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      [/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono] 3: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      [/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono] 4: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused[/FONT]

Probably best to start over and follow the guide carefully.

Right from the start, with formating my partition and everything? But I can get in my Mac OS X Mavericks.

How do I safe my data? Is it enough to safe it via Time Machine?

Or isn't there another workaround?

Here you go:
Code:
[FONT=Andale Mono]localhost:~ doncarlos$ diskutil list/dev/disk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]   2:                  Apple_HFS system                  279.2 GB   disk0s2[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]   3:                  Apple_HFS data                    40.4 GB    disk0s3[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]/dev/disk1[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *7.9 GB     disk1[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]   1:                  Apple_HFS Installer               7.9 GB     disk1s1[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]localhost:~ doncarlos$ sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]Password:[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]Disk: /dev/rdisk0    geometry: 38913/255/63 [625142448 sectors][/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]Signature: 0xAA55[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]         Starting       Ending[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono] #: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [     start -       size][/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]------------------------------------------------------------------------[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono] 1: EE 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [         1 -  625142447] <Unknown ID>[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono] 2: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      [/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono] 3: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      [/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono] 4: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused[/FONT]

I would do a few things:

1) Can you force BIOS to boot your HDD using F9?

2) Check in Linux to see if your system partition is marked 'boot' (I don't know of a way to check that on OS X).

3) Check that the bootloader is installed correctly in MBR/PBR

Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk0 of=/tmp/mbr count=1 bs=512
xxd </tmp/mbr|tail
sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk0s2 of=/tmp/pbr count=1 bs=512
xxd </tmp/pbr|tail
sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk0s2 of=/tmp/pbr count=2 bs=512
xxd </tmp/pbr|tail

The last two bytes of all three outputs should be 55aa.

FYI: Just a guess... you ran the Mavericks installer at the desktop after it downloaded, instead of quitting it right away?

Back