i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Please Note

If you have an issue with this guide, please post a reply in this thread and I will try to address it with an edit (and then delete your post).

If you have an issue with your laptop after following this guide, please DO NOT reply to this thread. I do not want this thread to be one of those 25-page threads with a bunch of random questions in it. So, open a new thread for your issue, or resolve your issue by reading the FAQ or doing a search.

Installation

Installing Mavericks on the HP Probook 4x30s/4x40s/6x60b/8x60p/6x70b/8x70p/4x0s G0 series laptops is actually pretty easy (compared to other hacks you may attempt). This is mostly thanks to the fact that the hardware is very generic and well supported by current versions of Mac OS and to all who have contributed to the process including tonymac, MacMan, blueking, tegezee, Mieze, Zenith432, kozlek, bcc9, BigDonkey, philip_petev, Mac4Mat, RehabMan and others who spend many hours messing with the technical details to make things run smoothly.

This version of the guide is updated to use ProBook Installer v6.1.9 (beta), which has support for 10.9 and the ProBook models mentioned above.

Here is what you will need:
- A genuine download "Install OS X Mavericks.app" from the Mac App Store
- philip_petev's HP ProBook Installer from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/87816-hp-probook-installer-6-1-4x30s-4x40s-support.html
- The latest Unibeast from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3
- Access to an OS X computer, where the "Install Mac OS X Mavericks.app" is. Whether this is Lion or Snow Leopard, or Leopard, hackintosh or Mac, it doesn't matter.
- A flash drive that can be formatted, anything 8 GB or bigger is fine.
- For computers with high resolution displays (1600x900 or greater), a "mini SSDT" from here: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/raw/master/Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml

1. Go to the Mac where "Install Mac OS X Mavericks.app" downloaded from the Mac App Store is. Your "Install Mac OS X Mavericks.app" must be present in the Applications folder before running Unibeast. Make sure you download the Unibeast intended for Mavericks. Unibeast requires your language is set to English. No support for other language settings is provided.

2. Insert your flash drive, and open disk utility. Format it as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) with a MBR partition map. Name it Installer. Note: If your flash drive is larger than 8GB, create a partition that is 8GB instead of the full size of the drive.

3. Exit Disk Utility, and run Unibeast, installing to that flash drive. When installing, be sure to select "Laptop Support." Then select your flash drive to install it to. Let it finish to create your Unibeast USB flash drive.

4. Copy the latest HP Probook Installer to the flash drive. You will need it later.

4a. If you have upgraded your screen from the standard 1366x768 screen in the 4x30s to either 1920x1080 or to 1600x900, or you have a Probook 4730s with a 1920x1080 or 1600x900 screen, you must copy a "mini SSDT" to the Unibeast flash drive as /Extra/ssdt.aml. So, copy the Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml from your Downloads to the clipboard, navigate to the Unibeast drive's /Extra folder, and paste it. Then rename it to ssdt.aml. You may have to show hidden files or navigate to /Volumes/Installer/Extra directly via Finder's Go -> Go to Folder.. option. Having this /Extra/ssdt.aml on your Unibeast drive will enable you to have a working screen during installation. Note that this step will not work for the 4x40s series (really any 7-series chipset based ProBook).

5. Now we are moving on to the laptop. If you have discrete graphics card (switchable graphics) other than the Intel HD 3000 or HD 4000, disable it in BIOS now. It currently does not work in OS X. If your laptop has an i5 or i7 processor, be sure to disable "Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O" in BIOS, if available. If you can't boot for some reason, set all BIOS settings to default, and then try again, again making sure any other graphics cards are disabled, and "Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O" is disabled. For 4x40s series, be sure to turn off "Wake on LAN/Wake on USB." Also for 4x40s series, be sure legacy boot is enabled. There are 2 places to look for Legacy: Enable legacy boot in "Device Configurations" AND in "Boot Options" set "Legacy" or "UEFI Hybrid (With CSM)". Finally, be sure that "Fast Boot" is disabled as it will keep the bootloader from seeing a second hard drive connected to the DVD SATA port and can cause issues for internal USB devices (camera, bluetooth, etc.).

6. Insert the flash drive in one of the USB ports on the right (you want a USB2 port, not USB3). The "right front" USB2 port seems to work best on most ProBooks.

7. Upon boot-up, hit Esc, and F9. Then, select the USB hard drive. Select the Flash Drive, called Installer, and hit enter. Let it load.

7a. Note (for 7-series laptops only): These laptops may not be able to boot with Unibeast defaults. If you run into trouble booting your 7-series/Ivy laptop, try typing the boot flags 'IGPEnabler=No GraphicsEnabler=No dart=0 -v -x -f' before hitting enter. If you have HD4000, you may need to use 'IGPEnabler=Yes IGPlatformID=01660003' (for low resolution display) or 'IGPEnabler=Yes IGPlatformID=01660004' (for high resolution display). It may require some experimentation with boot flags to get the installer to boot. Note that the Mavericks installer is much slower to appear than the Lion or Mountain Lion installers were, so please be patient and allow plenty of time for the OS X installer to boot.

8. Now you should be at the Installer screen. Hit continue to select your language.

9. Along the top, click Utilities. Then select Disk Utility.

10. Select your hard drive, and format it in however many partitions you want, with a GUID partition map. At least one "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" (HFS+J) is required, as that is where you'll install OS X.

11. Hit Alt+Q to return to the installer after you have finished. Finish the install process like normal, selecting the partition you just made.

12. After it restarts, you will need to once again hit Esc then F9. Then select the USB hard drive again. This time, select the partition you just installed Mavericks on, and hit enter (if you have a 4x40s and you needed to use boot flags in step 7, use the same boot flags here). Make sure you leave the flash drive plugged in.

12a. If you get an indication for "no keyboard," use a USB keyboard to get past the message. Plug it in on the other USB port on the right, and after the stupid prompt goes away, you can unplug it.

13. Finish the setup process like normal. After you get to the desktop, open the flash drive (it's called Installer in Finder) and copy the HP Probook installer to your desktop. If your need the "combo update" to upgrade your system to the latest version, copy it as well.

13a. In order to run the installer, you must allow applications downloaded from the Internet to be run (this is a new default in Mavericks). Go into System Preferences, then Security & Privacy. Click the lock (lower left) to make changes. Then select "Anywhere" from the "Allow applications downloaded from:" section. You can then close System Preferences.

14. Run the installer, and select:

- From "OS X support kexts," select only the version that matches your laptop (4x30s, 4x40s, etc).
- From "DSDT generator/patcher" select your "ProBook model," a "Fan behavior" that matches your preferences, and your "Display type." There are some additional patches in "Optional Patches," but generally they are not required. Note: you must select one option from each of the first three groups to generate a patched DSDT. In addition, you must have no DSDT present in /Extra/dsdt.aml at the time you run this option. If you wish to regenerate a DSDT later, you must remove /Extra/dsdt.aml, reboot, and then run the ProBook Installer using your desired DSDT options.
- Check the option for "SSDT" generator.
- From "System definitions," select ONE system definition which matches closest your laptop.
- Chameleon: This allows you to boot from your main HDD/SSD
- From "Optional hardware-specific fixes,"
- "AHCI 3rd party kext," You can apply this option later if it turns out your DVD drive is not recognized by the system. It is not needed on every laptop.
- "EDID generator" Recommended.
- "FanReset.dylib mod" Select only if you have a laptop with a WiFi whitelist implemented in BIOS and have a WiFi card that is not present on the whitelist.
- From "Misc OS X fixes"
- "Color profiles," Recommended.
- "Sleep fix," If you have SSD, "Sleep image fix" is recommended. This disables OS X version of "hybrid sleep" where upon entering sleep, a "hibernation image" is written to the boot drive. For SSD, you don't really want to write this file every time your laptop goes to sleep.
- "Extra tools" All optional. Select the ones you want.

After making, your selections, click 'Continue' and allow the ProBook Installer to work.

15. Shutdown the computer, unplug the USB flash drive and attempt to boot from the hard drive. If it does not work (you don't see the Chimera boot loader), it is very likely you have a 4k/AF (advanced format) HDD. If that is the case, see this link for more information (start at solution 1 step 4, or solution 2 step 2): http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html. If you see the Chimera boot loader, but booting OS X times out after a long time (and you didn't install the AHCI patch in step 14), you will need to boot "Ignore Caches" (either type "-f" at the Chimera boot loader screen, or use down-arrow to choose it from the menu). After booting with ignore caches, you can run the installer again to select and install the AHCI patch from "Optional hardware-specific fixes"

15a. Generate SSDT once again. The latest SSDT generator requires a proper smbios to be active when it is run. Run the ProBook Installer, and select:
- Check the option for "SSDT" generator.

Let the installer do its work, then reboot.

16. At this point everything should be working (WiFi, Audio, keyboard, trackpad, ethernet, etc.). Note for WiFi: You must have Atheros, or for 4x40s a compatible card (Atheros 9485 is not compatible), for it to work. If you don't, you should consider replacing the mini-PCI card that provides WiFi.

Updates

Instructions for any update 10.9.x to 10.9.x

1. Install the update from either Software Update or the combo update from Apple downloads.[/url]

2. After the update, the computer will restart (and finish installing the update).

3. You will need to boot using your Unibeast USB (eg. F9 at BIOS). Use "-f" to boot the installation on your HDD.

4. After reaching the desktop, run the latest ProBook Installer and select only "OS X Support Kexts" appropriate for your computer.

5. Click continue to install your ProBook Installer choices, allow it to complete.

6. Restart your computer.

Note: If you have not re-patched your DSDT in a while, now would be a good time. Continue reading for instructions.

Other Updates

When new updates come out it is best to wait until someone here has analysed what is in the update and if any additional patches or rollbacks are required. And with all updates it is wise to create a backup before performing the update, because you never know what is going to happen.

If you want to understand more, get Pacifist so you can look inside PKG installers...

Upgrading from 10.8.x to 10.9.x

If your OS X install uses a relatively recent version of the ProBook Installer (v6.1 or newer), then it is probably safe to upgrade directly from 10.8.5 to 10.9. You should always create a backup before attempting an upgrade on major version upgrades such as 10.8.x to 10.9.x just in case something goes wrong and you aren't able to recover.

1. If you use the 'blinkscreen' workaround for screen brightness, use the latest ProBook Installer, prior to beginning the update process to update blinkscreen to the current version. This insures you have a blinkscreen compatible with Mavericks.

2. First download Mavericks and create your Unibeast USB and launch the Mavericks installer according to the Installation section above (steps 1 through 8).

3. Since you'll be installing to an existing partition and upgrading it, do not use Disk Utility to erase your partition. Instead, select your existing partition to install Mavericks to and complete the Mavericks installation.

4. After Mavericks installs, it will restart your computer. After it restarts, you will need to once again hit Esc then F9. Then select the USB hard drive again. This time, select the partition you just installed Mavericks on, type "-f" then press enter.

5. After reaching the desktop, run the ProBook Installer, and select the "OS X support kexts" appropriate for your laptop, and the AHCI patch, if you need it. Also, if you have not used the ProBook Installer DSDT patches in a while, and you use the Atheros AR9285 for WiFi, select only the "Atheros 9285 patch" from "DSDT generator/patcher -> Optional patches." In addition, if you have not upgraded your bootloader in a while, now is a good time to upgrade to the latest Chameleon via the ProBook Installer, because otherwise you may not have a bootloader compatible with Mavericks.

6. Click continue to install your ProBook Installer choices, allow it to complete, then restart the computer.

7. If you have an SSD (Solid State Drive) and wish to enable TRIM, run Trim Enabler to turn on TRIM (it patches IOAHCIBlockStorage). Repair permissions & rebuild cache, then reboot.

BIOS updates/hardware upgrades

If you ever make a hardware change or update the BIOS, you should re-patch your DSDT. See this thread: DSDT patch: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/70490-hp-probook-4x30s-4330-4430-4530-4730-patches-updated.html and this thread for a guide using MacIASL: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/83573-patching-your-dsdt-probook-4x30s-using-maciasl.html

You can also re-patch your DSDT using the ProBook Installer. Follow these instructions

1. Remove /Extra/dsdt.aml. If you have a high-resolution screen, install Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml to /Extra/ssdt-1.aml. Then reboot. After reboot, you are running without a DSDT (no audio, WiFi, battery, etc)
2. Run ProBook Installer and select only the DSDT options you did before in step 14.
3. Allow the ProBook Installer to create your DSDT, then reboot.

Optional Optimizations:

If you ever make a hardware change or update the BIOS, you should re-patch your DSDT. See this thread: DSDT patch: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/70490-hp-probook-4x30s-4330-4430-4530-4730-patches-updated.html and this thread for a guide using MacIASL: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/83573-patching-your-dsdt-probook-4x30s-using-maciasl.html

A number of the kexts that are in the installer are under active development. If you want, you can update to these kexts as they are updated.

- Battery Manager: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/69472-battery-manager-fix-boot-without-batteries.html
- Keyboard/Trackpad: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/75649-new-voodoops2controller-keyboard-trackpad.html
- Fan Control: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/72043-new-fan-control-dsdt-silent-fan-higher-temps.html

For those with 1600x900 displays (4730s)

Using SwitchResX may be helpful with HD3000 graphic glitches. Read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-4530s/33113-hp-probook-4730s-17.html#post379880

FAQ: Please see this post for common questions/issues: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77058-faq-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html

*** This guide adapted by RehabMan from blueking's original guide for Lion.

Is it safe to update ML to Mavericks from app store?

Is it safe to update ML to Mavericks from app store?

It is not possible (unless you're using Clover boot loader). You must make a Unibeast USB and launch the USB-based installer to upgrade.

In Step 10, is it necessary to format the hard drive? Can we install to an existing partition with an existing ML installation? I'm assuming the rest of the steps would be the same?

In Step 10, is it necessary to format the hard drive? Can we install to an existing partition with an existing ML installation? I'm assuming the rest of the steps would be the same?

Hang tight. I will write upgrade instructions 10.8.5 -> 10.9 later.

Thanks for this guide! I'm already up and running on my ProBook 4530s!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Note that the Mavericks installer is much slower to appear than the Lion or Mountain Lion installers were, so please be patient and allow plenty of time for the OS X installer to boot.

Does anyone know on average how much longer it takes? I have been sitting here on a black screen for what seems to be 10 minutes...I used the "PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No -x" to boot, anything else to help with the speed?

I am using a 4540s, with 10.8.5 +supplemental update. It wouldn't have anything to do with that fact I originally got the boot0 error when using mountain lion and used the "unmount/terminal" fix to allow it to boot?

Update: still nothing, waited for what seemed like 15 minutes on a black screen (after the white apple screen with spinning wheel) and the computer finally went to sleep (led power light flashing). I wonder what I am doing wrong...anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone know on average how much longer it takes? I have been sitting here on a black screen for what seems to be 10 minutes...I used the "PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No -x" to boot, anything else to help with the speed?

I am using a 4540s, with 10.8.5 +supplemental update. It wouldn't have anything to do with that fact I originally got the boot0 error when using mountain lion and used the "unmount/terminal" fix to allow it to boot?

Update: still nothing, waited for what seemed like 15 minutes on a black screen (after the white apple screen with spinning wheel) and the computer finally went to sleep (led power light flashing). I wonder what I am doing wrong...anyone else have this problem?

Try with IGPlatformID=01660003 IGPEnabler=Yes (assuming you have stock screen, and in addition to the other flags).

Try with IGPlatformID=01660003 IGPEnabler=Yes (assuming you have stock screen, and in addition to the other flags).

Thanks! Okay I will give it a try, thought it may be my copy of Mavericks so I re-downloaded it and am making my Unibeast usb right now. I will let you know you if it works in a few minutes.

Update THAT DID IT!! I got a little worried when it looked like I couldn't fit all the flags in the input bar, but I kept typing hoping they just weren't visible. But I am in the installer now, about 41 minutes to complete the update. Appreciate it, thanks for the quick reply RehabMan!!

Update 2: Followed your guide and everything worked perfect, used the newest HP Installer (6.1.8.1 beta) and on restart everything worked (wifi, audio etc.) AND I didn't lose any of my files/settings.
...Is it just me or did Mavericks really boost the colour? Everything seems to pop!

Back