Contribute
Register

Guide to Installing Mavericks on HP Probook

Hi RehabMan
i'm new in the forum and i'm tryng to install Mav on my 4540s..

I now have my first doubt for the point 4 of the guide:

4. Copy the latest HP Probook Installer to the flash drive. You will need it later.

Have I to copy the .zip file or the .pkg one ?

thanks for reply

Either one.

I think if you tried Clover by following the guide, you'd be surprised how easy it is.

Hi RehabMan,

I think Clover is a good option. Many switched to it lately. I have some issues though. I have Mavericks installed using Unibeast - version 3 I think - and probook installer, basic version. As you suggested and hope it will work better will try do a probook installer clover version. So far I've managed to make the USB stick and reached point 3 here
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html

Have enabled UEFI but as warned in bios, had to disable preboot authentication and drive lock. Don't know where to do that from. Anyway, I left it as is and tried to boot normally as no new OS X was installed. It does a screen reading - boot device not found, install operating system, hd (3F0), F2 system diagnostics. Problem is, the bios does run weird. When I press Esc/F10 for bios setup, most of the times it goes to system diagnostics as though I've pressed F2. I rarely get to bios setup. When I managed to do that I went and disabled UEFI, restored bios defaults but still the bios acts weird like I said.

Took the hard drive to a mac, deleted and disabled the partition for clover but the problem remains. I remember long time ago I added a new partition in the blank space of the drive and couldn't run the OS X though I didn't touch the OS X partition. I had to reinstall everything. Do you know why is that? Could it be fixed?

And regarding two system partitions - old unibeast/probook installer basic and clover probook installer, if I manage to proper install probook clover how can I select which one to boot?

Thank you

Hi RehabMan,

I think Clover is a good option. Many switched to it lately. I have some issues though. I have Mavericks installed using Unibeast - version 3 I think - and probook installer, basic version. As you suggested and hope it will work better will try do a probook installer clover version. So far I've managed to make the USB stick and reached point 3 here
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html

Have enabled UEFI but as warned in bios, had to disable preboot authentication and drive lock. Don't know where to do that from. Anyway, I left it as is and tried to boot normally as no new OS X was installed. It does a screen reading - boot device not found, install operating system, hd (3F0), F2 system diagnostics. Problem is, the bios does run weird. When I press Esc/F10 for bios setup, most of the times it goes to system diagnostics as though I've pressed F2. I rarely get to bios setup. When I managed to do that I went and disabled UEFI, restored bios defaults but still the bios acts weird like I said.

Took the hard drive to a mac, deleted and disabled the partition for clover but the problem remains. I remember long time ago I added a new partition in the blank space of the drive and couldn't run the OS X though I didn't touch the OS X partition. I had to reinstall everything. Do you know why is that? Could it be fixed?

And regarding two system partitions - old unibeast/probook installer basic and clover probook installer, if I manage to proper install probook clover how can I select which one to boot?

Thank you

Make sure you have up-to-date BIOS. And reset BIOS to defaults before making your changes for UEFI.

Note: This thread is for installing legacy using Unibeast/Chameleon. Questions regarding UEFI should be posted to a separate thread or to the Clover guide thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html

Make sure you have up-to-date BIOS. And reset BIOS to defaults before making your changes for UEFI.

Note: This thread is for installing legacy using Unibeast/Chameleon. Questions regarding UEFI should be posted to a separate thread or to the Clover guide thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html

Thanks RehabMan. Will address the clover related issues in the specific thread accordingly. Still, what I have to deal with is a Unibeast/basic probook installer install that worked flawlessly before I made that partition in the blank drive space. Is it this that altered the boot? I also did it a year ago and had to reinstall everything. Maybe a bios restore to defaults or update would've worked, I don't know

In this case I remember I didn't restore to defaults before enabling UEFI - you know, the idea was to try install clover first but gave it up. Didn't install anything new. Does it count for not being able to run unibeast OS X again though I disabled UEFI, like it was before? Could this be the cause for altering the bios? The bios version worked fine before. Don't think it's time to update. But as mentioned, bios runs weird and don't know what's what. Will a possible bios update clear things or mess it up since it's already messed up? :) Like i said I didn't touch the OS X partition but some things you do with the other partitions seem to mess it up.

Thank you

Thanks RehabMan. Will address the clover related issues in the specific thread accordingly. Still, what I have to deal with is a Unibeast/basic probook installer install that worked flawlessly before I made that partition in the blank drive space. Is it this that altered the boot? I also did it a year ago and had to reinstall everything. Maybe a bios restore to defaults or update would've worked, I don't know

In this case I remember I didn't restore to defaults before enabling UEFI - you know, the idea was to try install clover first but gave it up. Didn't install anything new. Does it count for not being able to run unibeast OS X again though I disabled UEFI, like it was before? Could this be the cause for altering the bios? The bios version worked fine before. Don't think it's time to update. But as mentioned, bios runs weird and don't know what's what. Will a possible bios update clear things or mess it up since it's already messed up? :) Like i said I didn't touch the OS X partition but some things you do with the other partitions seem to mess it up.

Thank you

I do not have the ability to predict the future.

What would you do in the case mentioned?

Which specific 'case' are you referring to? There was a lot of rambling (without sufficient details) in your last post.

Which specific 'case' are you referring to? There was a lot of rambling (without sufficient details) in your last post.

Take the first issue in the series. After making a new partition on the blank space of the drive laptop shows "boot device not found" on start up. Moved the drive onto a mac, deleted that partition like it was before. Nothing. Problem still remains. Didn't touch the OS X partition.

Thank you

Take the first issue in the series. After making a new partition on the blank space of the drive laptop shows "boot device not found" on start up.

Caused by not having an active partition. Or.. the active partition doesn't have a valid PBR. Most likely the former though.

Moved the drive onto a mac, deleted that partition like it was before. Nothing. Problem still remains. Didn't touch the OS X partition.

Same thing. No active partition.

Caused by not having an active partition. Or.. the active partition doesn't have a valid PBR. Most likely the former though.

Same thing. No active partition.

What work-around would you recommend? Since I didn't touch the OS X partition I wonder why it showed it as not active

Thank you

Back