CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks a lot RehabMan. It worked just fine. IOY.

Why doesn't the OS X installs make partitions active in the first place? The mac I used runs well without any active partition and am sure probook didn't have that either when it worked before. So it can do without as well is most of the cases

Many thanks
The OS X installer doesn't need to make anything active because Macs use EFI firmware to boot, not BIOS/MBR.

When you initially install the bootloader (with the ProBook Installer), the first partition is made active. But as you discovered, if you start messing with the partition table, you can lose that setting. To real Macs it doesn't make a difference (eg. not a bug), but with PCs it does.

Motherboard
HP ProBook 6560b
CPU
i5 2430M / HM65
Graphics
HD3000, 1366x768
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
The OS X installer doesn't need to make anything active because Macs use EFI firmware to boot, not BIOS/MBR.

When you initially install the bootloader (with the ProBook Installer), the first partition is made active. But as you discovered, if you start messing with the partition table, you can lose that setting. To real Macs it doesn't make a difference (eg. not a bug), but with PCs it does.

Thanks again for the useful technical answers and patience

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks again for the useful technical answers and patience
Keep in mind that UEFI booting gets rid of all such worries over "active partition"...

(but admittedly, brings other things to manage).

Motherboard
HP ProBook 6560b
CPU
i5 2430M / HM65
Graphics
HD3000, 1366x768
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Keep in mind that UEFI booting gets rid of all such worries over "active partition"...

(but admittedly, brings other things to manage).

Thanks a lot. I would also like to keep the old install for comparison. How can I get boot option?

Thank you

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks a lot. I would also like to keep the old install for comparison. How can I boot both?
Not recommended. You can try Clover boot with a USB. But keep in mind that certain files must be restored to vanilla for proper Clover configuration. For example, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext should be vanilla with Clover, as it is hot-patched with AsusAICPUPM=true, but it is patched on disk for Chameleon.

Motherboard
HP ProBook 6560b
CPU
i5 2430M / HM65
Graphics
HD3000, 1366x768
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Not recommended. You can try Clover boot with a USB. But keep in mind that certain files must be restored to vanilla for proper Clover configuration. For example, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext should be vanilla with Clover, as it is hot-patched with AsusAICPUPM=true, but it is patched on disk for Chameleon.
Thanks. So a clean single clover install would be the norm from now on you reckon

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks. So a clean single clover install would be the norm from now on you reckon
Yes, if you're going to move to Clover... you use only Clover.

Motherboard
HP Probook 4430s
CPU
Intel® Core™ i3-2350M
Graphics
intel HD 3000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi,

I have upgraded my hp probook 4430 from 10.8 to 10.9 following your guide. Everything works fine except the screen brightness. In 10.8 i have used blikscreen workaround for screen brightness. But in 10.9, the screen brighness changes to a lower level after login, and after that i cant adjust the brightness. Is there any solution to this ??

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi,

I have upgraded my hp probook 4430 from 10.8 to 10.9 following your guide. Everything works fine except the screen brightness. In 10.8 i have used blikscreen workaround for screen brightness. But in 10.9, the screen brighness changes to a lower level after login, and after that i cant adjust the brightness. Is there any solution to this ??
Did you re-patch DSDT per the guide?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html