Contribute
Register

Guide To Install Yosemite on HP Laptops with Clover UEFI

Use a plist editor.

I thought that's what I did with the Clover Configurator :) I just wanted to make sure that really was the right thing to do with the repo file containing such radically different syntax.

FakePCIID_BCM94352Z_as_BCM94360CS2.kext recently renamed to FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext. It is covered in the README.

I must have overlooked that. Which README was it in? I'd like to go back over it.
The card in 4440 wasn't supported so I put in a AW-CE123H I just got for another project. It's not an HP part and wifi didn't just work after the install so I followed the instructions for a new installation of the card. The rest of the OS was running OK.

No other patches are required to make WiFi work. No SSDT nor DSDT patching needed.

Fair enough. I'm trying to undo the patching now. Are there instructions for undoing a patch with Clover or is it the naive idea of removing the AML file from the CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder?
I'm giving that a try now, but I'm not sure if it's working correctly (I'm still seeing wifi after removing the SSDT-1.aml file, and with the FakePCIID_BCM9...kext file removed from CLOVER/kext/10.10). I have not undone the config.plist edits yet.

Not true. It says it will not work in EFI/Clover/kexts. It works with Clover just fine when installed to /S/L/E or /L/E. Read carefully.
[/QUOTE]

OK, fair enough. Could I request the instructions get updated to reflect that the subtle difference?

Thanks for all the help!

I thought that's what I did with the Clover Configurator :) I just wanted to make sure that really was the right thing to do with the repo file containing such radically different syntax.

Use a plist editor such as PlistEdit Pro or Xcode.

I must have overlooked that. Which README was it in? I'd like to go back over it.

FakePCIID README: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Fake-PCI-ID

The card in 4440 wasn't supported so I put in a AW-CE123H I just got for another project. It's not an HP part and wifi didn't just work after the install so I followed the instructions for a new installation of the card. The rest of the OS was running OK.

Perhaps you neglected to add the network interface for it in SysPrefs->Network->[+]. If you use PBI-CE, all the kexts needed are installed. But since you're adding the card after the installation process, you need to add the network interface manually.

Fair enough. I'm trying to undo the patching now. Are there instructions for undoing a patch with Clover or is it the naive idea of removing the AML file from the CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder?

You can re-patch ACPI using PBI-CE by following the instructions in post #1.

OK, fair enough. Could I request the instructions get updated to reflect that the subtle difference?

I can't think of a way to make it any more clear.

From the README:
Install one of BrcmPatchRAM.kext or BrcmPatchRAM2.kext depending on OS X version, never both.

BrcmPatchRAM.kext: for 10.10 or earlier.

BrcmPatchRAM2.kext: for 10.11 or later.

Also, install one firmware kext BrcmFirmwareData.kext or BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, depending on installation location, never both.

BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext: Install to /System/Library/Extensions. This kext is much more memory efficient than BrcmFirmwareData.kext and is the preferred configuration.

BrcmFirmwareData.kext: Most appropriate for EFI/Clover/kexts. BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, while much more memory efficient, cannot be injected as can BrcmFirmwareData.kext

Advanced users: For custom firmware injectors, install the injector plus BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext. This works from either /S/L/E or EFI/Clover/kexts. Optionally, you may remove all the firmwares from BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext/Contents/Resources.

And...
BrcmPatchRAM.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext can be installed either through Clover kext injection or placed in /System/Library/Extensions. Install only one, not both, depending on system version.

BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext does not work with Clover kext injection, unless using a device specific firmware injector. BrcmFirmwareData.kext can work with Clover kext injection.

You can also use a device specific firmware injector (in conjunction with BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext). In this scenario, BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext does work from Clover kexts.

You will find device specfic injectors in the 'firmwares' directory of the git repository. They are not included in the distribution ZIP.

Please explain what you find unclear.

BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext: Install to /System/Library/Extensions. This kext is much more memory efficient than BrcmFirmwareData.kext and is the preferred configuration.

BrcmFirmwareData.kext: Most appropriate for EFI/Clover/kexts. BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, while much more memory efficient, cannot be injected as can BrcmFirmwareData.kext

"Most appropriate for EFI/Clover/kexts." To me, this sounds like it is specifying the installation method for Clover based installs. After several re-reads, I see that is is actually specifying a location. However, it is a location that AFAIK, is exclusive to Clover and would seem to imply that this is the correct method if using Clover.

Much of what Clover can do seems like magic :)

Furthermore:
BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext does not work with Clover kext injection, unless using a device specific firmware injector. BrcmFirmwareData.kext can work with Clover kext injection.

Again, this sounds like the kext is not compatible with Clover based installs. After being instructed to use the S/L/E method, it now clear that the two methods are not exclusive. This seems obvious in hindsight, but this is all still mostly magic to me now.

Proposed change:

BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext: Install to /System/Library/Extensions folder. This kext is much more memory efficient than BrcmFirmwareData.kext and is the preferred configuration.

BrcmFirmwareData.kext: This is used if the kext is installed at the EFI/Clover/kexts location. BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, while much more memory efficient, cannot be injected by Clover from this location. If you encounter issues with Bluetooth, please remove BrcmFirmwareData.kext and use the preferred method.

Thanks for all the help!

"Most appropriate for EFI/Clover/kexts." To me, this sounds like it is specifying the installation method for Clover based installs.

No. Clover can be used as bootloader without the subject kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts.

The kexts can be installed to /S/L/E.

Although not covered in the README, you would need to use BrcmFirmwareData.kext if you installed to /Extra/Extensions using Chameleon. Kext injection isn't really exclusive to Clover.

After several re-reads, I see that is is actually specifying a location. However, it is a location that AFAIK, is exclusive to Clover and would seem to imply that this is the correct method if using Clover.

You're not reading very carefully. When using Clover, you can choose to inject these kexts... or not.

The fact that the BrcmFirmware* choice depends on installation location is clear in the text... "Also, install one firmware kext BrcmFirmwareData.kext or BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, depending on installation location, never both."

Personally, I prefer to install to /S/L/E or /L/E (depending on OS X version). I use kext injection only for essential kexts involved in booting the installer or recovery partition.

Much of what Clover can do seems like magic :)

No magic.

Furthermore:
Again, this sounds like the kext is not compatible with Clover based installs. After being instructed to use the S/L/E method, it now clear that the two methods are not exclusive. This seems obvious in hindsight, but this is all still mostly magic to me now.

No. It says nothing about compatibility of BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext with Clover-based installs. You're reading something into the text that simply isn't there. BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext cannot be used with kext injection except in the (advanced) case of using a firmware injector kext. But BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext can be installed to /S/L/E or /L/E where it works using any bootloader.

Question related to HP ProBook installation...

I just got a MacBook Pro and loaded El Capitan on it. I restored the system from a Time Machine backup from my Yosemite installation on my HP Probook 4540s.

My sound worked on here (the MacBook) but then I rebooted then noticed it's not working, and neither is my microphone. It simply shows up as no devices in my settings.

Is there a chance that when transferring my settings from the Time Machine (only selected to move over my Documents and Data, just that 1 checkbox) that I could have transferred over some drivers as well that are conflicting? Is there a specific sound Kext I can look for on here that was specific to the HP Probook that I could try and remove and see if it fixes it?

Question related to HP ProBook installation...

I just got a MacBook Pro and loaded El Capitan on it. I restored the system from a Time Machine backup from my Yosemite installation on my HP Probook 4540s.

My sound worked on here (the MacBook) but then I rebooted then noticed it's not working, and neither is my microphone. It simply shows up as no devices in my settings.

Is there a chance that when transferring my settings from the Time Machine (only selected to move over my Documents and Data, just that 1 checkbox) that I could have transferred over some drivers as well that are conflicting? Is there a specific sound Kext I can look for on here that was specific to the HP Probook that I could try and remove and see if it fixes it?

Rebuild cache to see if anything shows up that might be hack related:
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Rebuild cache to see if anything shows up that might be hack related:
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Quite a bit of things showed up, here is a copy/paste of the results

Code:
RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext has no Info.plist file.
RtWlanU.kext has no Info.plist file.
Untrusted kexts are not allowed
VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
VoodooPS2Mouse.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
VoodooPS2Controller.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
JMB38X.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
IOath3kfrmwr.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/HSSDBlockStorage.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
FakeSMC.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
FakePCIID_BCM94352Z_as_BCM94360CS2.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
FakePCIID.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
AppleHDAIDT.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
ACPIPoller.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
ACPIBatteryManager.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
ACPIBacklight.kext has invalid signature; omitting.

Should I just go and delete all of those?

Quite a bit of things showed up, here is a copy/paste of the results

Code:
VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
VoodooPS2Mouse.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
VoodooPS2Controller.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
JMB38X.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
IOath3kfrmwr.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/HSSDBlockStorage.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
FakeSMC.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
FakePCIID_BCM94352Z_as_BCM94360CS2.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
FakePCIID.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
AppleHDAIDT.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
ACPIPoller.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
ACPIBatteryManager.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
ACPIBacklight.kext has invalid signature; omitting.

Should I just go and delete all of those?

Remove it all (should have never installed most of that on your Mac).

Remove it all (should have never installed most of that on your Mac).
Okay I'll try it when I get home from work.

I didn't realize that a Time Machine restoration with only selecting to move my User over would move those things over. I thought that would have been under the "Computer and network settings" checkbox.

After I remove them, do I have to rebuild the cache or should I just reboot and hope for the best?

Okay I'll try it when I get home from work.

I didn't realize that a Time Machine restoration with only selecting to move my User over would move those things over. I thought that would have been under the "Computer and network settings" checkbox.

After I remove them, do I have to rebuild the cache or should I just reboot and hope for the best?

Never trust software like that...

I'm not sure why people need a program like TM to copy files... Doesn't Finder copy files pretty well?

Back