Contribute
Register

Guide To Install Yosemite on HP Laptops with Clover UEFI

6-series laptops don't have the custom boot option.

Rename EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

You can also use 'efibootmgr' in Linux to add a Clover entry and fix the boot order.

For example:
Code:
# add Clover entry
sudo efibootmgr -c -L "Clover UEFI" -l "\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI"

Most of the time, the new entry will be added to the BootOrder first. But if not, you can change it.

Change the argument to -o based on output from efibootmgr (assumes "Clover UEFI" entry was added as Boot0004):
Code:
# change order (if needed)
sudo efibootmgr -o 4

This assumes the HP 6-series BIOS isn't broken. I've used this on my desktop and my Lenovo u430... haven't tried it on my ProBooks.

Edit: Like one might have expected, the 6-series BIOS is too buggy for this to work. I tried it on my 4530s. It loses the setting of BootOrder across a restart. I fiddled with it quite a bit, but could never make it stick.

I've noticed that if I leave my 8460p laptop on for awhile (an hour plus) the screen goes to sleep.

Then when I try to wake it, there is nothing I can do to get the screen to come back on.

The caps lock lights up, the keys seem to be functioning, the fan is running but no response.

I am forced to hold the power button and restart it to get my screen back on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I've noticed that if I leave my 8460p laptop on for awhile (an hour plus) the screen goes to sleep.

Then when I try to wake it, there is nothing I can do to get the screen to come back on.

The caps lock lights up, the keys seem to be functioning, the fan is running but no response.

I am forced to hold the power button and restart it to get my screen back on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Download patchmatic: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-maciasl-patchmatic/downloads/RehabMan-patchmatic-2015-0107.zip
Extract the 'patchmatic' binary from the ZIP. Copy it to /usr/bin, such that you have the binary at /usr/bin/patchmatic.

In terminal,
Code:
if [ -d ~/Downloads/RehabMan ]; then rm -R ~/Downloads/RehabMan; fi
mkdir ~/Downloads/RehabMan
cd ~/Downloads/RehabMan
patchmatic -extract

Note: It is easier if you use copy/paste instead of typing the commands manually.

Post contents of Downloads/RehabMan directory (as ZIP).

Also, post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

And output from:
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y applelpc
pmset -g

Also, post EFI/Clover folder.

Okay, I have gathered all of the information you requested and attached it below.

I also noticed just a minute ago, when the laptop screen wouldn't come on, I waited a bit longer before forcing a restart and after about 2 minutes it auto restarted itself. Guessing this is related to the restart-on-wake problems with 6-series laptops.

Attachments

• RehabMan.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 70
Okay, I have gathered all of the information you requested and attached it below.

I also noticed just a minute ago, when the laptop screen wouldn't come on, I waited a bit longer before forcing a restart and after about 2 minutes it auto restarted itself. Guessing this is related to the restart-on-wake problems with 6-series laptops.

Hibernate mode is enabled. Should be disabled on hacks:
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage

My understanding was that PBI-CE did this for you, but maybe something is changed or it re-enabled somehow.

Also, you're using USB WiFi. Not recommended. USB WiFi is known to cause instability, especially with sleep. Better to install a compatible PCIe WiFi. USB WiFi is more stable if plugged into a USB2 port. You have it plugged to a USB3 port.

Thanks RehabMan!

That seems to have fixed the sleep issue :)

Thanks for the wifi tip, I moved the wifi dongle to a usb2 port, at least until my PCIe wifi card comes in.

Ok tried and tried to do this own my own but this is where I'm at :

Install Windows UEFI as dual boot

Install Windows UEFI (and other UEFI OSes) are quite easy because you don't need to mess up with Boot records. See FAQ for more detail.

**To Install Windows 7 UEFI on 7-series laptops, you must select UEFI hybrid (with CSM) in BIOS.

**If you have OS X / Windows on secondary drive, you have to disable fast boot in BIOS.

**If you're installing Windows to secondary drive (upgrade bay), you will get error while installing. You can only install Windows UEFI to internal drive.

1. Create your Windows UEFI install USB key by following the guide here:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...e-windows.html

2. Use Disk Utility or GParted to create a partition with Mac OS X Extended format on hard drive for Windows. This will prevent OS X from convert your drive to GPT/Hybrid MBR.

3. Restart and press F9 to choose Boot devices > Boot from EFI file > choose your Windows Install USB key > EFI > Boot > BOOTX64.efi

4. Use Windows installer to remove the partition you prepared, and create new partition for installation. Complete install and now you will boot to Windows by default, Clover disappears.

Step 3
Just isn't happening for me. I'm trying to use (2) separate hard drives. Yosemite is installed on a drive caddy and Windows 8 is installed on the internal. I see the EFI option but there is no Windows option.

Thanks in advance

...I see the EFI option but there is no Windows option.

Guessing at what you actually mean...

The "EFI" option (in Clover... "Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI") *is* Windows UEFI.

You can change the title with a custom entry.

RehabMan!! Thanks for the quick reply and thanks for all the help through out this post!

"Guessing at what you actually mean...

The "EFI" option (in Clover... "Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI") *is* Windows UEFI."

Exactly..I was able to do a dual boot no problem I just have to exit Clover (very last option on the right) and then it's boots into Windows 8 as advertised. Please point me in the right direction to make a custom entry.

Should have said this earlier HP ProBook 4430 with Yosemite in the caddy and Windows 8 in the internal

RehabMan!! Thanks for the quick reply and thanks for all the help through out this post!

"Guessing at what you actually mean...

The "EFI" option (in Clover... "Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI") *is* Windows UEFI."

Exactly..I was able to do a dual boot no problem I just have to exit Clover (very last option on the right) and then it's boots into Windows 8 as advertised. Please point me in the right direction to make a custom entry.

No need to exit Clover. Just boot Windows from Clover.

Should have said this earlier HP ProBook 4430 with Yosemite in the caddy and Windows 8 in the internal

You should reverse it, so you have Clover on the primary drive.

Back