Contribute
Register

Guide To Install Mavericks with Clover Bootloader

You have your additional scenario to test in post #2515. But it is not valid to test GenericUSBXHCI.kext with the USB3 multiplex patch (your previous tests of GenericUSBXHCI.kext are invalid).

Your 4540s has an Ivy CPU. Therefore you're using a different SMBIOS. It could make a difference. You could always try using MacBookPro9,x as another thing to try.

I tried all the proposed solutions... Finally using MacBookPro9,x the USB3 ports works perfectly.

Thank you very much for all your help and useful information

Clover Multiboot 2 Disks questions: How To?
This is what I did so far.
1st drive (internal):
Installed Mavericks on internal Disk and another small Mavericks system as alternate boot volume on last partition on same disk. (Not sure if I really need 2nd OS X as with Clover I now have the Recovery partition - what do you think)
Partition Table:
/dev/disk0
0: GUID_partition_scheme *512.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS OSX 481.6 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
4: Apple_HFS OSXSafe 29.5 GB disk0s4

2nd drive:
For Win8 installation, HFS+ partition used for backups, Fat32 partition for file transfer purpose between OS X and Windows.
Created 3 HFS+ partitions with diskutil (GPT / GUID): started Windows setup from USB stick, reformated Win8 partition to NTFS. Could not install Win8 because setup probably could not create an EFI partition, because of HFS+ format created with diskutil.
Solution: used diskpart from Windows install stick to clean the drive (raw format), created 1 NTFS partition in windows setup and installed Win8 on it.
Setup wrote the EFI boot files to EFI partition on disk0 (internal disk)
Made the other 2 partitions with gparted and formatted as fat32 and HFS+ (with hfs-utils installed for gparted). That worked out.
Result:

/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
1: Microsoft Basic Data WIN8 125.8 GB disk1s1
2: Microsoft Basic Data TRANS 32.2 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_HFS Backup 842.0 GB disk1s3

As there is no EFI partition on 2nd drive there are some drawbacks:
1. can not virtualize that drive with VMware Fusion because it does not find EFI
2. diskutil can not check the disk: Error - EFI Partition is missing
3. Tried to repair with diskutil what probably damaged my Win8 install and the windows repair fails. Will I have to reinstall Windows or can I solve this?

General questions:
Should I install Win8 on the 2nd drive without pre formatting and do the partition manipulations afterwards?
Will I need an EFI partition on both of the 2 disks?
Which EFI partition does Windows setup use to write the EFI boot files when there are multiple EFI partitions?

Additionaly my EFI on 1st disk was corrupted. After backing that up I repaired EFI with diskutil an used Probook Installer Clover to reinstall. Only I couldn’t get back:
/EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS/Firmware.scap
What is this for? And how to solve this?

Sorry for the long post, but I’m really confused. o_O

1st drive (internal):
Installed Mavericks on internal Disk and another small Mavericks system as alternate boot volume on last partition on same disk. (Not sure if I really need 2nd OS X as with Clover I now have the Recovery partition - what do you think)
Partition Table:
/dev/disk0

2nd drive:
For Win8 installation, HFS+ partition used for backups, Fat32 partition for file transfer purpose between OS X and Windows.
Created 3 HFS+ partitions with diskutil (GPT / GUID): started Windows setup from USB stick, reformated Win8 partition to NTFS. Could not install Win8 because setup probably could not create an EFI partition, because of HFS+ format created with diskutil.
Solution: used diskpart from Windows install stick to clean the drive (raw format), created 1 NTFS partition in windows setup and installed Win8 on it.
Made the other 2 partitions with gparted and formatted as fat32 and HFS+ (with hfs-utils installed for gparted). That worked out.
Result:

/dev/disk1

1. can not virtualize that drive with VMware Fusion because it does not find EFI
3. Tried to repair with diskutil what probably damaged my Win8 install and the windows repair fails. Will I have to reinstall Windows or can I solve this?

General questions:
Should I install Win8 on the 2nd drive without pre formatting and do the partition manipulations afterwards?
Which EFI partition does Windows setup use to write the EFI boot files when there are multiple EFI partitions?

Additionaly my EFI on 1st disk was corrupted. After backing that up I repaired EFI with diskutil an used Probook Installer Clover to reinstall. Only I couldn’t get back:

Why didn't you create EFI partition with diskpart? It's much simpler then.

/EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS/Firmware.scap is created by OS X and is not used at all on Hackintosh.

Why didn't you create EFI partition with diskpart? It's much simpler then.

Thanks for the input.
Can I use dispart to create the EFI partition still now without distroing the other partitions?
If so, how would that go?

Once in Clover Configurator, I set SMBIOS to MacBooKAir5,2.
As for the boot argument, I check -xcpm but what about "kext-dev-mode=1" which was previously checked, should I leave it as is or uncheck it ?

kext-dev-mode is not needed in the current version of OS X.

1st drive (internal):
Partition Table:
/dev/disk0

2nd drive:
Result:

/dev/disk1

General questions:

Generally, it is a good idea to disconnect your OS X drive when installing Windows to its own drive.

I followed this guide but everytime I load win 8.1 from Clover bootloader and reboot then the system automatically starts with windows and I can't see the clover bootloader screen anymore where I can choose osx vs win.
I have to load osx with usbkey, and rename every time bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi in EFI partition.
I also noticed that once clover bootloader screen appears after having renamed that file on reboot, It pics windows partition to load automatically and not osx one.
Any hint on how to fix it with clover configurator?
THanks

I followed this guide but everytime I load win 8.1 from Clover bootloader and reboot then the system automatically starts with windows and I can't see the clover bootloader screen anymore where I can choose osx vs win.

Make sure you disable "Fast Startup" inside Win8.1.

I have to load osx with usbkey, and rename every time bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi in EFI partition.
I also noticed that once clover bootloader screen appears after having renamed that file on reboot, It pics windows partition to load automatically and not osx one.
Any hint on how to fix it with clover configurator?
THanks

You don't need to load os x with usb key, use F9 and select CloverX64.efi. You can try copy CloverX64.efi to Microsoft/Boot folder and rename it to bootmgfw.efi. Windows should not create bootmgfw.efi you restart UNLESS you do Windows update.

See #1 to see how to set Default Volume...

Make sure you disable "Fast Startup" inside Win8.1.

I don't have any problem with Fast Startup inside Windows 8.1 UEFI.

Thanks for this great post!

All works fine on 4540s, but one problem for me is too long wake up. It takes aprox 1 min to wake up to login screen.
I think it caused by hibernation method of sleep. My desktop mac wakes up in 2-3 seconds.

I also tryed to disable hibernation with: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
but it doesn't help at all.

Any way to make it faster? :)

Done those too ;) see:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...wake-up-taking-long-since-about-10-9-4-a.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...wake-up-taking-long-since-about-10-9-4-a.html

Back