Contribute
Register

Guide To Install Mavericks with Clover Bootloader

I don't have the original microsoft ISO, only the HP Windows 8 DVD
Maybe it does not support UEFI? Download original ISO and contact HP for license.

Hello guys and girls.

I have been using the inforrmation on this website to run a marvelous instance of MacOsX versions on my 4330s. Right now, I'm running 10.9.2, and I use Chameleon r2286 as bootloader.

I want to try Clover (basically because I'm fed up with the whole updating process whenever an OS update is posted), but here's the problem:

My stock internal drive is formatted as MBR. Inside there are three OSes: 10.9.2, Ubuntu 14.04, Windows 8.1 .There also are two FAT partitions that were originally put there by HP: HP_TOOLS and SYSTEM. I boot 10.9.2 in a strange way (don't ask why I got there!) : I load Grub, then chainlink to the chameleon bootloader installed on my 10.9.2 partition, and go from there. Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04 also load through GRUB.

How do you propose I migrate to clover?

I am thinking two ways:

1) Either convert this MBR drive to GPT using Gparted from an ubuntu stick, then see what to do next (basically follow the Clover migration guide in this thread.) OR

2) Clone both OSes, format the internal drive as GPT, then put both OSes that I want inside (Windows and 10.9.2) and install the Clover bootloader as needed.

Which way would you propose that I go? What are your thoughts on all this? Thanks for all comments in advance: You are doing a wonderful job here!

PS: Can I discard the SYSTEM and HP_Tools partitions without consequences?

I suggest data backup and do a clean disk install. Convert from MBR to GPT won't be easy because you have to create EFI partition, and you have to reinstall Windows UEFI, Ubuntu UEFI anyway.

Delete those partitions will remove the recovery function that restores your Laptop to stock. I removed them right after receiving laptop.

Nguyenmac, thanks for your prompt response!

Do you believe that if I use CarbonCopyCloner to make an image of MacosX to an external hard drive, it will be easy to transfer that image back to the re-formatted drive?

And one last question: My external drive, a WD Passport, is already formatted as GPT. Can I install Clover there, for testing reasons?

Thank you once more for your time.

Nguyenmac, thanks for your prompt response!

Do you believe that if I use CarbonCopyCloner to make an image of MacosX to an external hard drive, it will be easy to transfer that image back to the re-formatted drive?

And one last question: My external drive, a WD Passport, is already formatted as GPT. Can I install Clover there, for testing reasons?

Thank you once more for your time.

You can install full OS X UEFI to any External drive, but you have to always press F9 at boot to boot there.

it works :headbang::headbang:

thank you for this guide and your hard work :clap:

@nguyenmac,
I believe I've read in your guide that there was a computer restart upon resume from sleep with the 6-series laptop. I couldn't find it now, does that mean the problem has been solved ?

@nguyenmac,
I believe I've read in your guide that there was a computer restart upon resume from sleep with the 6-series laptop. I couldn't find it now, does that mean the problem has been solved ?

Many users confirm it's been fixed, so I removed it. If anyone report it again, I will put it up :banghead:

Back