Contribute
Register

Guide To Install Mavericks with Clover Bootloader

In previous versions of windows (not sure about 8 /8.1) you could activate in cmd prompt, if thats still the case, you could create a script that does it at boot up if there is no other option.

Don't ask me how to though lol
Cheers, Rob. I will try that.

I am concerning about backup solutions when we switch to UEFI.
Do backup softwares (such as Clonezilla and CCC) support GPT disk in UEFI yet ?

I am concerning about backup solutions when we switch to UEFI.
Do backup softwares (such as Clonezilla and CCC) support GPT disk in UEFI yet ?

It's even easier with CCC, we don't have to reinstall bootloader after restoring Mac hd. real Mac uses GPT disk in UEFI, so those programs work best.

Btw, I'm using Time Machine, it's quite good and automatic.

Nguyen, I have a couple of questions on the Gui/plist, please.

Is there an option/means of setting (say) Windows to be the default OS on booting? I cannot find such an option. Is it simply related to the order in the <dict> block?

Secondly, I cannot get the hotkeys m and w to work. They are set (like your figure) in the plist but do not appear to do anything. Neither is the term Hotkey in the Clover documentation (such as it is). Does yours work (i.e. you simply press m or w at boot) or am I missing something?

Nguyen, I have a couple of questions on the Gui/plist, please.

Is there an option/means of setting (say) Windows to be the default OS on booting? I cannot find such an option. Is it simply related to the order in the <dict> block?

It's a bug in Clover, I reported but "that's how Clover works, and they don't want to change":thumbdown:.....

Secondly, I cannot get the hotkeys m and w to work. They are set (like your figure) in the plist but do not appear to do anything. Neither is the term Hotkey in the Clover documentation (such as it is). Does yours work (i.e. you simply press m or w at boot) or am I missing something?

Ok, it does not work now, I will report then.

EDIT: I don't see it in WIKI too, maybe it does not exist.

It's a bug in Clover, I reported but "that's how Clover works, and they don't want to change":thumbdown:.....

It seems like Clover remembers the last partition you booted and uses that as the default. It is not a bad choice... Of course, the source is available, so if you want to implement your own option for default boot, you could.

It seems like Clover remembers the last partition you booted and uses that as the default. It is not a bad choice... Of course, the source is available, so if you want to implement your own option for default boot, you could.

You don't use EmuVariable driver right (it's in my first guide).

Without EmuVariable driver, I see that 7-series laptop remembers the last partition, which is saved in native nvram, but other variables won't be saved (brightness, Clover variables). I remember that they were saved in old BIOS version, and there was option in BIOS to save violate variable, but it's gone in the latest BIOS. Apianti suggests that native nvram only works with Secure Boot enabled in new system.

You don't use EmuVariable driver right (it's in my first guide).

Without EmuVariable driver, I see that 7-series laptop remembers the last partition, which is saved in native nvram, but other variables won't be saved (brightness, Clover variables). I remember that they were saved in old BIOS version, and there was option in BIOS to save violate variable, but it's gone in the latest BIOS. Apianti suggests that native nvram only works with Secure Boot enabled in new system.

Actually, right now I'm using Emu (this is on my Envy 15 Haswell). I haven't really tested the nvram too much to notice if there is a difference between using Emu or not. Have been trying to fix bigger problems, such as why Clover doesn't boot the install when using "without caches." Bigger fish to fry I guess...

My point is that the intention of Clover is to remember your last selection.

Actually, right now I'm using Emu (this is on my Envy 15 Haswell). I haven't really tested the nvram too much to notice if there is a difference between using Emu or not. Have been trying to fix bigger problems, such as why Clover doesn't boot the install when using "without caches." Bigger fish to fry I guess...

My point is that the intention of Clover is to remember your last selection.

I see, so you're using multiboot OS X right? So it will work because Emu will save the "efi-boot-device" at shutdown for all OS X, but in other OSes like Windows or Linux, Emu can't save nvram to disk at shutdown.

It leads to problem that OS X will always be selected at Clover screen, Windows and Linux can't be selected. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Back