Contribute
Register

Guide To Install Mavericks with Clover Bootloader

Maybe when I get a chance to test it... Frankly, I'm a little confused right from the start, in step 1, because I can't determine where you're creating partitions (is this on the USB installer or are you using Unibeast to create an installer, and this is after launching the OS X installer on the target machine?)

You can create partitions on USB or hard drive (if you don't have USB). No need to use Unibeast or anything. 1st step is the partition for Clover bootloader. 2nd step is the partition for Mavericks installer. You can create them on 2 USB drives, or 1 USB drive with 2 partitions. They are used only for install.

You can create partitions on USB or hard drive (if you don't have USB). No need to use Unibeast or anything. 1st step is the partition for Clover bootloader. 2nd step is the partition for Mavericks installer. You can create them on 2 USB drives, or 1 USB drive with 2 partitions. They are used only for install.

So, I'm doing that in Windows or Linux, or moving the HDD to a Mac to do that setup?

So, I'm doing that in Windows or Linux, or moving the HDD to a Mac to do that setup?

1st step can be done in any OS. Create a FAT32 partition and extract file in clover.zip, copy config.plist to EFI/Clover.
2nd step has to be done on a Mac.

1st step can be done in any OS. Create a FAT32 partition and extract file in clover.zip, copy config.plist to EFI/Clover.
2nd step has to be done on a Mac.

So the partition(s) created in step 1 and 2 are on the same device (USB stick)?
If so, one might as well create all partitions required in one step in Disk Utility inside of OS X.

I think that section should be made more clear...
In addition, some idea about the sizes of these partitions should be stated.

So the partition(s) created in step 1 and 2 are on the same device (USB stick)?
If so, one might as well create all partitions required in one step in Disk Utility inside of OS X.

I think that section should be made more clear...
In addition, some idea about the sizes of these partitions should be stated.

Thank you, I will make it clearer about the size of partitions.

The partitions in step 1 and 2 can be on any drives you want. 2 flash drives or 2 partitions in one drives works.

Thank you, I will make it clearer about the size of partitions.

The partitions in step 1 and 2 can be on any drives you want. 2 flash drives or 2 partitions in one drives works.

I see, but practically, no one is going to use two separate USB sticks for that purpose...

The purpose of a guide is to tell people what to do (what will work) and not give too many opportunities for choices (because choices cause mistakes).

I see, but practically, no one is going to use two separate USB sticks for that purpose...

The purpose of a guide is to tell people what to do (what will work) and not give too many opportunities for choices (because choices cause mistakes).

You're right, it's a bit confusing to give multiple choices. Can you check the new guide for me?

You're right, it's a bit confusing to give multiple choices. Can you check the new guide for me?

Also, I would like to see the guide use the ProBook Installer, instead of a ZIP full of kexts that will be obsolete/incorrect in a couple of months (eg. when Apple releases 10.9.1...), since this the best way to get properly patched kexts for any version of Mavericks (thinking to the future).

Known issues

- Sleep is not reliable on Sandybridge laptops.

Is this specific to Sandy Bridge CPUs or specific to the board chipset used? There are 7-series ProBooks with a more up-to-date UEFI with Sandy Bridge CPUs.

I thought the issue here was the implementation of UEFI in BIOS, so it would depend really on whether the ProBook is a 7-series or 6-series, sinice 6-series ProBooks are the ones with the gimpy UEFI implementation, right?

Also, I would like to see the guide use the ProBook Installer, instead of a ZIP full of kexts that will be obsolete/incorrect in a couple of months (eg. when Apple releases 10.9.1...), since this the best way to get properly patched kexts for any version of Mavericks (thinking to the future).

Is this specific to Sandy Bridge CPUs or specific to the board chipset used? There are 7-series ProBooks with a more up-to-date UEFI with Sandy Bridge CPUs.

I thought the issue here was the implementation of UEFI in BIOS, so it would depend really on whether the ProBook is a 7-series or 6-series, sinice 6-series ProBooks are the ones with the gimpy UEFI implementation, right?

The guide has been updated for easier installation. Thank you for your help!:thumbup:

Back