Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
INTRODUCTION:

Are you getting choppiness, and no audio from this build or similar build with Mavericks 10.9.3? Read the steps below in order to solve these problems!

Building my Hackintosh from tonymacx86's "Buyers Guide May 2014" (with the following build: i7 4820k processor, Gigabyte X79-UP4 motherboard, Nvidia's GeForce GTX 760, with 32GB RAM), and I ran into so many problems that only a few were solved by hours and hours and hours of research and reading through these forums.

But finally, after about 5 days, I've finally got everything fully operational with Mavericks 10.9.3.

tonymacx86's 10.9 Installation may be outdated or missing steps, because I encountered a load of problems like choppiness and no audio that weren't accounted for in the guide; hence why I'm writing this guide now, because I've seen other people in the same position and I have the answers!

MISC:

• Getting audio: No audio input? See all steps. No sound but input? You might have the wrong audio jack, make sure your speakers/headphones are connected to the green audio socket labelled "Out".
  • Boot errors? You might not have selected the right drivers in Misc in Multibeast, see Step 2. No error, but just stays at Apple Logo? Kernel flags npci=0x3000 cpus=1 should be used, see Step 1, Step 4, Step 6, and Step 7.
  • You can get bluetooth via Belkin USB Bluetooth!
  • Can only boot with "cpus=1"? See Step 6 & Step 7.

NOTE: THIS GUIDE IS FOR INSTALLING MAVERICKS 10.9.3, OLDER/NEWER VERSION'S REQUIREMENTS MAY DIFFER FROM BELOW. THE SAME APPLIES TO DIFFERENT HARDWARE.

(But if you've ran out of options, continue anyway!).

STEP ONE:
(By the way, you NEED a wired USB Keyboard for this process in order to certain things without bluetooth.)

Go and read tonymacx86's 10.9 Installation guide from the "Guides" tab to Step 4, with ONE exception:

Download Multibeast and Unibeast from the "Download index" under "Downloads". AND from the "Downloads Index", go to the bottom and find the "Archive" link. Click this and then click "Multibeast" from the Archive section. Once you're in Multibeast's Archive section, find Multibeast Mavericks 6.0.1, download it, and then put it on your USB that has all the other stuff for the process on. This is key to getting audio working.

So now you're at Step 4 of tony's guide: In order to boot successfully into the installation process, before you hit enter (with a wired USB keyboard) type the kernel flags exactly as this follows: "npci=0x3000 cpus=1" withOUT the quotation marks. Note: npci=0x3000 kernel flag is temporary as it will disable audio, and so is cpus=1. We will change this later.

NOTE: It will take a long time to boot into the installation process, so be patient. It will also be very choppy, maybe a bit slow, when you do boot into the installation process, but, again, this is only temporary.

STEP TWO:

Once you're in the installation process, follow tony's guide to Step 5 part 6 (where you open Multibeast). It'll still be choppy as hell, or a bit slow. I think this may be because we're booting a demanding OS through a USB haha? Not too sure, but, again, it's only temporary, so patience is key.

Now, you want to open the newest Multibeast, which should be in a folder instead of just a lone application (you can check it's the newest one of the two by opening the application, then clicking "About Multibeast" under "Multibeast" in the top left corner of your screen, and the version should be 6.3.0.)

Once you have the right Multibeast open, click "Quick Start" and choose from the options: "DSDT Free", this is because X79-UP4 motherboard does not require DSDT.

Then click "Drivers". Under each heading, click the following (if it's not there, then it's not needed):

Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC892
Disk > 3rd Party SATA (should already be selected
Misc > ElliottForceLegacyRTC
EvOreboot
The two FakeSMC's
NullCPUPowerManagement
USB 3.0 Universal

Network > Don't actually know, but this is just for ethernet cable, but it should be one in Intel

After you've clicked all of these, click "Build" and check that everything's getting installed in the right place (i.e., the hard drive you have installed).

This installation will take a while, so sit tight and occupy yourself whilst the process undergoes.

STEP THREE

Once installation has completed, find the older version of Multibeast (6.0.1) and open it up. The layout of this version is exactly the same, so navigate your way into Drivers > Audio.

Once you're there, click on Realtek, then click WithoutDSDT, and then click ALC892. Then click "Build" and install that shizz onto the same hard drive as all the other drives etc. from the other Multibeast.

This shouldn't take too long, so once it's installed, go ahead and restart your computer.

STEP FOUR

After you've restarted the computer, you should boot straight into Chimera. However, press a button to stop Chimera from booting into the OS. At this point, you need to type the kernel flags used before, so just type "npci=0x3000 cpus=1" again, and then hit enter.

Hopefully, you should be able to boot into Mavericks smoothly with absolutely no choppy-ness.

BUT, everything's not over yet. Just a couple more things to do.

STEP FIVE

Once you're in Mavericks, click on "Finder", then from the bar at the top click "Go", "Computer", then double-click the hard drive you installed the OS onto, then go into the "Extra" folder and find "org.chameleon.Boot.plist". Right click this file, copy it, and then paste it onto the Desktop.

Open that file from the Desktop which should open a window with a list of commands (e.g., EthernetBultIn etc.). Find where it says:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

If this isn't in that list, then we can just add it. Under <string>mach_kernel</string>, type what's above below it. Make sure it's in line (not sure if that actually does anything, but just do it anyway)!

Once you've found it/typed it in, after <string>, type "npci=0x2000 cpus=1" without the quotation marks. And yes, that's 2000, not 3000 (3000 disables audio). Once you've added that in, save it (File, Save), then drag it from your desktop back into the Extra folder, and when it prompts you with options, click "Replace".

Once you've done that, restart your computer but be ready to change the boot drive during start-up (i.e., pressing F12 to change boot drive)

STEP SIX

This next step wouldn't be possible without Turnipio, so big thanks!

Once you've restarted your computer, you want to boot into your USB for the last time, and select to boot to your main hard drive name with Mavericks installed on. It may be necessary to type in the kernel flags "npci=0x3000 cpus=1" if you cannot boot into Mavericks from here.

Once you're in Mavericks, load up the newer Multibeast for Mavericks, and navigate your way to Drivers > Misc > VoodooTSCSync, and select 4 Core. Build this driver onto your hard drive and once it's installed, restart your computer.

STEP SEVEN

Once you've restarted your computer, you may find that Chimera can't boot Mavericks. This is likely because of the kernel flag "cpus=1" in our chameleon.plist file. Since we just installed a kext driver that says there's 4 Cores and not 1, Chimera might not be able to boot Mavericks.

No worries. Simply boot into Safe Boot using the kernel flag "-x" without the quotation marks. Note: cpus=1 ncpi=0x2000/3000 should NOT be used here; just use -x alone.

Once in Safe Boot mode, Mavericks should boot up and you should be able to login/see the desktop again. From here we want to now remove "cpus=1" from our chameleon.plist file. So Finder > Go > Computer > Hard Drive > Extra > chameleon.plist, copy this to desktop, open desktop copy, delete "cpus=1", save, drag to Extra folder, replace, and restart your computer.

After you've restarted your computer, you should have no problems booting and should be operating fully!

Audio should be working via the motherboard's audio, the input that say "Out" with two repelling audio symbols.

Once you've done this, restart your computer and you should be done!
Thanks again to Turnipio for noting the cpus=1 problem!
All the best,

David Hyde

All i did was step 3 and you saved my editors build! Audio is what i needed fixed! Now I'm at 100% !

very nice write-up.

I have a question though:
By editing the chameleon plist to include "cpus=1", are you not limiting the cpu and OS to 1 core?

A way around that would be to install the VoodoTsync kext.

very nice write-up.

I have a question though:
By editing the chameleon plist to include "cpus=1", are you not limiting the cpu and OS to 1 core?

A way around that would be to install the VoodoTsync kext.

Oh my jesus Christ!!!

Editing my guide now, it's so much better now!

Thank you so much!

How many time takes to boot into installation process?

My Configuration is: i7 4930k processor, Gigabyte X79-UP4 motherboard, Nvidia's GeForce GT 750ti, with 16GB RAM

Can be as long as 10-15 minutes. As long as you follow the steps correctly it should only take that amount of time.

still hanging in

[IOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed

because this will be connected to the hdmi?,
i'll keep trying...
:banghead:

I don't understand. Are you trying to boot into the installation process for the first time? If you're booting the OS with verbose mode, that would be unnecessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Explain your problem. Make sure you follow the steps exactly as it says in the guide (and on tony's guide).

thanks Davidhyde18, these instructions worked for me.

deets:
10.9.3 mavericks
unibeast
multibeast (2 versions, earlier one for the audio driver, as per these instructions)
8gb usb drive
128gb ssd
ga-x79-up4 f7 bios
i7 4930k 6 core
16gb 2133 ram
geforce gtx 780 6gb ram

the only different setting i added was at step 6: VoodooTSCSync 6 core.

thanks again! just wanted to let others with a similar setup know it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back