Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] [SUCCESS] MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X full acceleration in macOS Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried no acceleration then! Can not use FCPX etc

Did you verify the FakeID actually worked? Check About|System Report|Graphics and make sure the ATI card actually has your injected ID.
Also depending on your version of clover you may have to make sure you ARE NOT injecting ATI; as it may override your fakeID.

FCPX will likely crash unless you do some additional things related to the iGPU; you'll have to dig around for that since it's not something I use so I never bothered to fix it.

I had to do a bit of fiddling to get my FakeID to actually work, ended up having to enable FixDisplay, AddDTGP and the ATI option under Drop OEM_DSM. You may have to do the same depending on what sections of the DSDT already existing on your hardware.

Did you verify the FakeID actually worked? Check About|System Report|Graphics and make sure the ATI card actually has your injected ID.
Also depending on your version of clover you may have to make sure you ARE NOT injecting ATI; as it may override your fakeID.

FCPX will likely crash unless you do some additional things related to the iGPU; you'll have to dig around for that since it's not something I use so I never bothered to fix it.

I had to do a bit of fiddling to get my FakeID to actually work, ended up having to enable FixDisplay, AddDTGP and the ATI option under Drop OEM_DSM. You may have to do the same depending on what sections of the DSDT already existing on your hardware.
Yes I did checked the FakeID was working. And I was not injecting ATI but I can try more I just did not bother when I had edited the 4100 Kext but I also would like to have one thing that will still work even after update's.
I don't use DSDT patches at all. I like to avoid that and to everything in clover I like to work that way more I think it is also more update proof because when booting you can still change things and you can't with DSDT patch.
Also in the first rig I don't need DSDT all is superb (ASRock X99) but in that rig I needed an helper card and I tried with an gefrons gt210 but it did not work, my motherboard always switched to the RX480 even when switching PCIe ports and I am using Xeon E5-2658v4 in that an it the board has 40PCIe lanes so it should be working fine with both cards (GT210. is x8 ) so I have lots of lanes free....
I gave it up it is now in my old rig (i7-4770) and stilll using the GTX970 in my 1 rig.

I have no idea but it was a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
Just got it to work thanks so much for your guide. Currently running 10.12.3!

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 1.11.04 PM.png

It seems like most peoples issues with the loading screen going black is because you need to plug the monitor into the Radeon card, not the internal IGPU or helper card. the IGPU and helper cards are there just to get the setup working, once its working and you edit cover to inject the right fake ID you should reboot and plug the monitor into the other card. you wont see anything till macos is mostly booted and initializes the card but thats how its supposed to work.

if your motherboard supports NVME then you can use the boot drive chooser in system preferences in macos to select your windows drive. it will reboot into windows, when you reboot windows it will go back to macos or you can load the bootcamp utilitiy to switch back from windows. once macos is all set you shouldnt need to see the bios or clover to switch between OSes if you use this method.

thats because the RX480 is beint initialized before macos, you have to set another card as primary and have your motherboard use that initially so the RX480 doesnt get initialized early. if you set your HD2000 as primary, even if it doesnt work in macos, and plug your monitor into the RX480 it should work if you have it setup correctly.

see post 272: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/enabling-amd-rx-4xx-cards-in-sierra.201364/page-28

I figured out my FCPX problem.
Here's the link to the forum I posted my solution in:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/enabling-amd-rx-4xx-cards-in-sierra.201364/page-18#post-1375817

Just updated to 10.12.3.
Updated using terminal command: sudo softwareupdate -i -a
Doing so allowed me to edit the kexts prior to the reboot.

After updating, I applied the "enable-baffin-cus-script" mentioned on the ITSage website to enable more computing cores on the RX480.
Much to my delight, there does seem to be a nice OpenCL performance boost with the changes.
My benchmarks, the steps used, and links are posted here:
Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

I followed step by step and now my machine is booting to a black screen.

Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
XFX radeon RX 480 8GB
Intel Core i7-4770

Hey guys, i have for now my RX480 in my old i7-4770 machine, my screen is also connected to the HDMI on the internal card just for boot. I have to disconnect the HDMi everytime other wise osx will have 2 screens or when in sync mode it will slow down very fast... is is so sluggish then and when in different i have to watch out i don't loose my mouse pointer everytime.
Now how can i avoid macOS will find the intel HD4600? i did already unchecked the Intel injection in clover but still it finds it but as a 7mb graphics card, this make the performance even worse

MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X (not the reference) is now working on macOS Sierra with full acceleration!
To make it work you need to:
1. install the macOS Sierra 10.12.2 public beta
2. go to /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4100.kext/Contents/, open info.plist and replace "0x67FF1002" to "0x67DF1002"
3. run Kext Utility (download Kext Utility.app.zip) and wait until the access rights restored
4. reboot, go to BIOS>Peripherals, and set the Initial Display Output in "IGFX", then go to the section Chipset and set the Internal Graphics in "Auto"
5. save, reboot, and wait a few minutes (you must set the partition "Macintosh HD" by default and turn on timer in Clover) and you will see a login screen!
And more: in "About This Mac" will be displayed "AMD R9 xxx". To fix this, do the following:
1. download app "iHex" from App Store
2. go to /System/Library/Extensions/AMD9500Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/
3. open the file "AMD9500Controller" with iHex
4. find (Edit>Find) text "xxx" and replace text "R9 xxx" to "RX 480"
5. run Kext Utility and wait until the access rights restored
6. reboot!
That's all, good luck!)
[All that I have written refers to mobo Gigabyte Z170 D3H - on other motherboards names may differ]
UPD: It also works on 10.12.1
View attachment 219245

Hello, I followed these instructions and also these other instructions on this weblink. https://www.theitsage.com/install-radeon-rx-480-gpu-macos-sierra/
Both helped get my msi rx 480 recognized and full acceleration working with final cut pro x. Now I am still having issues. I could use some help from the community. as you can see in the uploaded image. This Is how most of the graphics on my screen are appearing. I can use all the help I can get at this moment. Im stuck and out of options. Thanks in advance!.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.31.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.31.17 AM.png
    434.1 KB · Views: 428
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.35.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.35.42 AM.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 493
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 12.53.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 12.53.37 PM.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 345
Status
Not open for further replies.