Contribute
Register

[Guide] Stork's MyHero Sierra Installation: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Contents

The Installation
Summary
Benchmarks
Updates

The Installation

This installation guide was originally part of my build description which I moved here, when High Sierra 10.13.4 was release, to keep the build description from getting too long. I'm going to only hit the essentials of the installation which are only peculiar to the HERO. The following assumes you've got all your components installed in the computer system's case

The following installation procedures are written for Sierra. I have a written separate, step-by-step installation guide for El Capitan which you can copy & paste into a document for printing to check off each step as you accomplish the step so as not to miss a step: :thumbup:
El Capitan: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-storks-myhero-el-capitan-installation-asus-rog-maximus-viii-hero-i7-6700k-gtx-760.203849

Making the UniBeast USB Thumb Drive

Use the tonymacx86 guide UniBeast: Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC. Note: your USB Thumb drive needs to have 7.63 GB of free space to build the UniBeast installation thumb drive. Otherwise, you'll need a 16GB USB thumb drive which is a better size so you can copy the following items to the thumb drive for use in the post installation phase:
:ch: MultiBeast v9 for Sierra which you can probably put on a 8GB USB thumb drive, but a 16GB drive is best
:ch: EFI Mounter V3
:ch: KextBeast which you'll use to install the Codec Commander kext
:ch: For proper processor power management, get the SSDT for your processor from ammulder's Guide and rename it SSDT.aml; I chose the SSDT for my i7-6700K. Note: ammulder's SSDTs are for non overclocking speeds; for overclocking, you'll need to create a SSDT for your processor using PikeRalpha's ssdtPRGen.sh script located here.
:ch: Rehabman's Codec Commander kext for making the audio (after wakeup from sleep) work which we'll install using KextBeast
:ch: Clover Configurator for fine tuning
:ch: (Optional) the nVidia Web drivers for the Maxwell chipset cards (750, 750 Ti, 950 Ti, etc). See tonymacx86's sticky thread in the Graphics forum section or the tonymacx86 driver list.

BIOS Setup

Follow Step 3 in the tonymacx86 guide.
:ch: Update the BIOS to the latest version which is 3703 as of January 15, 2018. Follow the USB BIOS Flashback method on page 2-12 of the HERO User's Guide. Note: BIOS versions greater than 2202 will no longer save NVRAM (important) between boot ups. This impacts iMessage and Nvidia web drivers. So, if your BIOS version is greater than 2201, you will need to fix this in MultiBeast as I point out below.
:ch: Once the BIOS is updated, boot into the BIOS, use the Advanced Mode and make the following changes:
Extreme Tweeker
:ch: AI Overclocker Tuner > X.M.P.
:ch: Extreme Tweeking > Enable​
Advanced Items
:ch: System Agent (SA) Configuration > VT-d > Disable
:ch: PCH Configuration > IOAPIC 24-119 > Disabled
:ch: USB Configuration > Legacy USB Support > Auto
:ch: USB Configuration > XHCI Hand Off > Enabled <--- See BIOS Note below.
:ch: USB Configuration > Keyboard and Mouse Simulation > Disabled <--- See BIOS Note below.
:ch: APM Configuration > Power on by PCI - E/PCI > Disabled​
Boot Menu
:ch: Fast Boot > Disabled
:ch: Boot Logo Display > Disabled
:ch: Secure Boot > OS Type > Other OS
:ch: Boot Option 1 > USB installer thumb drive (the UEFI choice if there are two entries)​
:ch: Exit > Save Changes​

Note: The BIOS starting with version 3504 has eliminated the XHCI Hand Off parameter and added a KeyBoard/Mouse Simulation parameter which must be disabled.

Installation Notes

If you are installing Sierra over El Capitan, do the following before proceeding to the next steps:
:ch: Update all your apps so you are current with El Capitan.
:ch: Backup your El Capitan installation disk. I use Carbon Copy Cloner.​

If you are updating from Sierra 10.12.1,2, or 3. Note that Sierra 10.12.6 requires the latest Clover, so run the Clover updater Updated Clover Required for Kext Injection in macOS 10.12.4 or run MultiBeast v9.1.0+ selecting just the following:
Bootloaders > Clover v2.4k r4063 UEFI Boot Mode
OR
Bootloaders > Clover v2.4k r4063 UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM <---Use for those motherboards that don't preserve NVRAM between boots
THEN
Build > Install​
When the installation has completed, reboot.

:ch: Follow Steps 4 & 5 in the tonymacx86 guide: UniBeast: Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC. But,
:ch: Insert the UniBeast created installation USB Thumb Drive in the USB port in the bottom USB port at the bottom of the stack with the PS/2 port at the top (see Rear Port graphic above);
:ch: Boot into the Sierra Installer with the UniBeast Installer USB thumb drive to begin the installation;
:ch: (Optional) If you have a current nVidia graphics card, then Boot with nv_disable=1 (Keyboard SpaceBar at the Clover boot screen) until you install the nVidia web drivers;​
:ch: When the installer is through, it will reboot; at the Clover boot screen, double click on the Sierra installation drive. Upon booting into the Desktop, the process will ask you to log into iCloud, do not log in - skip it - as it messes up Messages.
:ch: Drag & drop MultiBeast and Codec Commander zip files from the thumb drive to your Applications folder, unzip them, run MultiBeast and selection the following:
:ch: Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode
:ch: Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC1150
:ch: Drivers > Audio > 100/200 Series Audio
:ch: (Optional) Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins
:ch: (Optional) Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC HWMonitor Application
:ch: Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausiEthernet
:ch: Drivers > USB > Increase Max Port Limit (and adds RehabMan's USBInjectAll.kext)
:ch: Bootloaders -> Clover v2.4k r4063 UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM <--- Required if BIOS version is greater than 2202
:ch: (Optional) Customize -> Graphics Configuration -> NVIDIA Web Drivers Boot Flag <--- Required for use of Nvidia drivers
:ch: Build <--- To see your full configuration
Note: MultiBeast for Sierra default System Definition is iMac14,2. The Mac Pro 3,1 & 4.1 is not supported in Sierra. I recommend you use the iMac14,2 SysDef for your installation and to get Sierra up and running. You can change it later if need be. Also note that the below MultiBeast screen snapshot has not be yet updated for the Bootloader option for NVRAM as of this date/time which I'll update soon.

:ch: Save <--- Save your MultiBeast configuration file somewhere convenient
:ch: Click on the Install button in the MultiBeast window bottom right hand corner and wait for MultiBeast to finish.
:ch: Important. MultiBeast v9.2.0's FakeSMC Plugins' FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext has not been updated to support Pascal graphics cards. To prevent Kernel Panics and Reboot
:ch: Open the installation drive's /Library/Extensions/ folder;
:ch: Find and trash the FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext;
:ch: Delete the Trash.​

:ch:(Optional) If you have a current Nvidia graphics card, copy the Nviida driver from the thumb drive onto your Desktop, unzip it and install the driver now, but don't reboot when the installer is done, just leave it along as we'll come back to it.
:ch: Drag & drop the Codec Commander zip file from the thumb drive onto your Desktop and un-zip the file. Drag the CodecCommand.kext from the Release folder to the Desktop. Drag the zip & the two folders to the Trash.
:ch: Drag & drop the KextBeast on your Desktop, unzip it and run it; chose to put the kexts in the /Library/Extensions folder. Drag and drop the CodecCommand.kext to a safe place.
:ch: Now you need to install your processor's SSDT.aml (if your EFI partition has been mounted from doing the Nvidia mod above, then skip the first three steps):
:ch: Open the Terminal and run the following:
Code:
diskutil list
:ch: Note the Sierra drive's EFI partition's "diskXs1" designation - could be something like "disk1s1";
:ch: Run EFI Mounter v3 to mount the UniBeast USB drive's EFI partition;
:ch: Navigate to EFI > EFI > CLOVER > ACPI > patched folder;
:ch: Drag & drop the SSDT.aml from the thumb drive ino the ...ACPI > patched folder.​

:ch: Now click on the Restart button in the Nvidia Web Driver window or reboot the computer if you didn't install the Nvidia drivers.
:ch: Reboot into the BIOS.
:ch: Change BOOT > Boot Options Priorities > Select your installation disk to either the:
UEFI Samsung 951 M.2 drive
or
UEFI setting for the Sierra drive.
Note: Always pick the UEFI choice if there are two entries for the same drive.​
:ch: EXIT to save the BIOS update and reboot.

:ch: Important! Due to a quirk with Apple's cache (see the Note in MultiBeast v9.2.0 Announcement), you'll need to rerun MultiBeast v9.2.0 selecting only the following:
:ch: Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC1150
:ch: Drivers > Audio > 100/200 Series Audio
:ch: Build > Install
:ch: Reboot after installation is complete​

To get audio working you'll need to use the Green sound port on the Rear Panel with the System Preference's Sound pane set up as follows:

Finally, since we're using the iMac14,2 system definition, we have to make one more change since Sierra broke wake-up from long (4+hours) sleep. Special thanks to pastrychief for discovering this "fix"; see his Build Description and Post #63 in his Build Description thread for more details. So, in the Terminal, execute the following command:
Code:
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
See also my Post #557 in this thread for a summary of pastrychief's explanation.

One last tip/note, to check to see if your SSDTs are loading, use the following command in the Terminal:
Code:
bdmesg|grep -y aml
You can also add this to your .profile in your user folder so that, upon opening the Terminal, it shows the results. :thumbup:

USB Charging
RehabMan has a guide to allow USB 3 ports to charge iDevices. Rather than repeat it here, see Post #1081 for the details on adding a DSDT patch in the config.plist.

Welcome to Clover and Sierra! :clap: :thumbup:

Summary

This hackintosh is fantastic! Enjoy your hackintosh. I am really enjoying MyHero.

What Works
  • USB 3.1 ports work, but at USB 3.0 speeds. The USB 3.1 Type C connect must be inserted at the Clover boot screen and disconnected after shutdown or at reboot because, somehow, the BIOS won't boot with it plugged in. :rolleyes:
  • USB 3.0 ports charging iDevices.
  • Sleep & Wake-up, both manual (Apple > Sleep) and scheduled (Energy Saver SysPerf pane). Wake-up takes about 15-20 seconds to complete while CodexCommander does its thing.
  • Audio through the Green back panel port. Audio works after sleep/wake-up with the Codec Commander kext.
  • iMessages (See P1lgram's build description on how to get iMessages working.)

What Doesn't Work
  • So far, everything is working as it should.
  • Continuity and Handoff because I don't have a Broadcom iMac wireless/Bluetooth 4 card and PCIe yet, but is on order.

Benchmarks

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC GAMING ACX 2.0

Updates

September 10, 2017. Updated the BIOS information for v3504. Thanks to Pandabox, for this information. See Post #1247. This BIOS update also applied to my Gene build.
August 01, 2017. Removed the Optional MultiBeast configuration item "3rd Party SATA as it is not needed. Thanks to WedgeTail and pastrychef for pointing out that it is not needed for Z170 chipset motherboards. (My excuse is that I've been using that option since 2010 and just assumed that it might be needed. Shame on me. :lol:)
July 02, 2017. Added note to update BIOS to latest version to correct HyperThreading processor microcode problem. See Post #1176 for more information. Thanks to Iwagsz for this information.
May 20, 2017. Corrected the name of the FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext to delete. Thanks to Maddeen for catching that mistake.
May 19, 2017. Patched the /EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist for enabling USB 3 power/charging. See Post #1081.
May 16, 2017. Update to Sierra 10.12.5.
May 15, 2017. Update the MultiBeast v9.1.0 Build screen snapshot.
May 05, 2017. Updated the MultiBeast installation procedures due to MultiBeast v9.1.0 installation problems.
March 10, 2017. Added the Fenvi WiFi/BT PCIe card that works OOB including Continuity/Handoff.
February 28, 2017. Removed the the GenericUSBXHI.kext from the MultiBeast configuration as it is not needed for Sierra. Thanks to pastrychef for this insight.
February 09, 2017. Added RehabMan's check for SSDT & DSDT loading.
December 12, 2016. Added pasytrychief's Terminal command to fix wake-up from long (4+hours) sleep with references to his explanation on why it's necessary for using the iMac system definition.
December 11, 2016. Thanks to robaird for catching a typo.
November 23, 2016. Added Heaven and Valley benchmarks for the GTX 980 that replaced the GTX 760.
November 09, 2016. Added the post link on the Utube video, which trs96 found, on how to build up a HERO based computer system.
November 03, 2016. Sierra 10.12.1 introduced a problem with wake-up after sleep. Need to add to Boot Arguments darkwake=0.