Contribute
Register

[Guide] Solving Media Kit reports not enough space on device for requested operation error!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I was following your guide because I was about to install Sierra on my current Windows drive (which partitioned) but I ran into the erase/formatting error. But after following the first few steps I got stuck at trying to access the EFI partition even after restarting explorer.exe with admin privileges. It says
"You have been denied permission to access this folder"
"To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab".

Thing is there is not security tab. Tried to look around in the threads and on microsoft support but couldn't get anywhere. Suggestions?

Hello, guys!

I have same problem (not enough space on device.....) and i am found this forum.
I tried it and i have the EFI partition assigned on V.
EFI partition is hidden in diskpartion - not system. Is it normal???

I uploaded image here : http://2.1m.yt/faB8kE2Fv.png - thats my screenshot.

I cant see two windows boot loader in bios , I see only one......

I have ASUS motherboard.

Please help, and sorry for my bad English.

Marian
I had the exact same problem as you. Even though the partition I had was labelled as "System", it was not classified as an active partition (according to MiniTool Partition Wizard) and therefore my BIOS boot options could not find the partition.

Since crazyboy's method didn't work, I instead attempted to extend the 100 MB EFI partition, and the Disk Management software built into Windows would not work for this as it does not allow you to shrink or extend the EFI Partition under any circumstances.

My first attempt was done using a GParted (GNOME Partition Editor) Live USB installation. This did not work for me because for some reason, GParted did not allow me to shrink my Windows Partition (even though it allowed me to do this earlier). Even if this didn't happen, GParted would be ridiculously inconvenient to use for this purpose anyways, since every time I wanted to shrink the Windows partition and put the unallocated space behind the partition rather than in front (before the program restricted the resizing of the Windows Partition in the first place), the program would want to move the entire 250 GB Windows Partition for whatever reason (this would have taken hours, and if a failure occurred within that time, it could have devastated the data).

So instead, I attempted to use MiniTool Partition Wizard. The 16 MB Microsoft Reserved Partition was right in-between the EFI Partition and the Windows Partition, so I deleted it (without any problems at the boot surprisingly!). Then, I shrinked the Windows Partition by 300 MB and extended the EFI Partition using that unallocated 300 MB. Once the program restarted my computer and applied all of these changes, I was able to carry on with my Clover installation.

I had the exact same problem as you. Even though the partition I had was labelled as "System", it was not classified as an active partition (according to MiniTool Partition Wizard) and therefore my BIOS boot options could not find the partition.

Since crazyboy's method didn't work, I instead attempted to extend the 100 MB EFI partition, and the Disk Management software built into Windows would not work for this as it does not allow you to shrink or extend the EFI Partition under any circumstances.

My first attempt was done using a GParted (GNOME Partition Editor) Live USB installation. This did not work for me because for some reason, GParted did not allow me to shrink my Windows Partition (even though it allowed me to do this earlier). Even if this didn't happen, GParted would be ridiculously inconvenient to use for this purpose anyways, since every time I wanted to shrink the Windows partition and put the unallocated space behind the partition rather than in front (before the program restricted the resizing of the Windows Partition in the first place), the program would want to move the entire 250 GB Windows Partition for whatever reason (this would have taken hours, and if a failure occurred within that time, it could have devastated the data).

So instead, I attempted to use MiniTool Partition Wizard. The 16 MB Microsoft Reserved Partition was right in-between the EFI Partition and the Windows Partition, so I deleted it (without any problems at the boot surprisingly!). Then, I shrinked the Windows Partition by 300 MB and extended the EFI Partition using that unallocated 300 MB. Once the program restarted my computer and applied all of these changes, I was able to carry on with my Clover installation.

I had the same issue as you and the method you suggested worked. Thank you.

So I followed this guide all the way to "assign letter=z" and this is where I faced a problem.

I went into task manager and closed explorer.exe (or as it is called for me: Utforskaren) and then started it with admin privileges, but when I try to open the Z: drive it first tells me I have to click continue to get permission to the folder and when I click continue it tells me I have been denied access to the folder and I have to go to the "Security" tab (which I don't even see or have).

Should I be worried now when my SYSTEM partition is visible? Can I still reboot my PC without any issues? How would I come to fix this problem so I can continue with this guide?

Yeah, please help me if you can.

- XenForq

Hello,

For me, creating the new EFI partition didn't change anything. In my case, what fixed this issue was making sure my laptop had the "Legacy BIOS mode" disabled and used UEFI mode exclusively in the UEFI/BIOS configuration. So give that setting a look as well before modifying the partitions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back