Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Sierra on the GA-Z170X-UD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hy Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming 4 GB

Does the "Hy" refer to anything special, is it a Hydro-cooled version?
Does you model have the word "Windforce" on the side?
Is this the model number? GV-N980G1

Do you have a photo of it I can see? (There are so many different versions of these graphics cards, it gets a bit confusing trying to pick the correct one)

Do you have an Amazon link for the card you bought? I'm not sure I can find the same one you are talking about.
If you want help, you may better put all the details of your system in your signature, so people can point you in the right direction.
It seems you have a 980Ti, which is very common among the people around here and seems to work fine with NvidiaWeb drivers like any other Maxwell card (9XX series). So there is probably some other issue with your system.
This guide was extremely helpful for me and I think it is the best for this motherboard but I would say it's not the easier for beginners. Multibeast guides like this:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0k-skylake-gigabyte-gtx-970-imac-14-2.206173/
or this:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...170x-ud3-ultra-intel-i7-6700k-gtx-950.208305/
might be easier as a start (I would later come back to this one if you want a deeper understanding of USB issues, CPU pm, etc.).
Also, if you have problem with Nvidia driver not sticking I would also recommend this post:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/
specifically Problem 6.
Don't give up ;-)

Don't give up ;-)

Thanks marcomk.

Honestly I think my GPU may be faulty. I get a scrambled screen (from boot!) when using my 2560x1440 Asus monitor using DVI. (But no scrambled screen on my old 1080p monitor w/ DVI) I get "Out of range error" on my monitor when I use the other DVI. HDMI works, but after the Nvidia web driver installs, the machine powers off before the apple logo boot screen is finished. Display port... doesn't even turn my screen on.

I'm thinking I can't even see the boot screen on a hi-res monitor, then either my GPU is broken, or maybe there's not enough power? I'm using 650 watt.

Attachments

• 0-02-01-7ad13c1871b27411dee2365b0d8725aa088736e34223afad241699bacf4430f2_full.jpg
    0-02-01-7ad13c1871b27411dee2365b0d8725aa088736e34223afad241699bacf4430f2_full.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 121
Thanks marcomk.
Honestly I think my GPU may be faulty. I get a scrambled screen (from boot!) when using my 2560x1440 Asus monitor using DVI. (But no scrambled screen on my old 1080p monitor w/ DVI) I get "Out of range error" on my monitor when I use the other DVI. HDMI works, but after the Nvidia web driver installs, the machine powers off before the apple logo boot screen is finished. Display port... doesn't even turn my screen on.

I would restart from scratch with a Display Port connection. Can you see your bios? Can you install Sierra and make it bootable with Multibeast or Clover before installing Nvidia drivers? If you can manage to get to this point, I don't think your system is faulty.
After that, you may need a couple of fixes to make Nvidia drivers stick or to avoid black screen after Apple logo, but first you need to make sure that everything is ok before installing Nvidia drivers.

Yeah I found the sound drivers a bit hit and miss to install.

I ended up using the script mentioned in the guide. (audio_cloverALC-120.command)

I repaired the permissions by running the KextUtility, then quit this.
Logged in as the super user so I would not get any permissions issues.
Dragged the command to the super user terminal window.
The ran the KextUtility again to repair permissions, then quit this, and re-booted.

Then it worked. Pay attention to the result of the command to make sure it has worked.
And you should have a realtekALC.kext in your refi/clover/kexts/other folder, and some more lines in your config.plist in the
KextsToPatch section.

Hope this works for you.

Hey folks,

I have a ga-z170x-ud3 and was happy to get my USB ports to life. Now while speed testing I discovered that I only get USB 2.0 speed with the USB 3.0 ports. I did the increase max port limit patch with multibeast which includes the usbinjectall.kext and then I ran the usb-ssdt.command to create the usb-ssdt.aml
I'm on Sierra and everything else runs smooth. I searched the forum but maybe someone knows
a thread that I oversaw or knows a solution.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back