Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Sierra on the GA-Z170X-UD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad day - no dice. Still a black screen at boot. Uploading my EFI folder & the nvram.plist file (renamed it _sierra, but it was at the root of the / dir)
I have a GTX 950 and following the guide and using the agpfix 1.3 worked perfectly for me. HDMI and DP are working (the latter with a cinema display.)

Sir, one question:

What solution do you currently use to get audio working?
Ever since 10.9.x I have been using Toleda's script, but it now doesn't work for me under Sierra.

Thanks!

I just finished building my rig and am preparing to install OSX from scratch. Would I need to do anything differently for a Z170X-UD5 TH?

Also, if fixes for the mentioned issues come about, would they be applicable to the installed OS, or would they require reinstallation?

Edit: Nevermind, managed to get Sierra up & running.

Was there anything different you needed to do to get it up and running? I have the same motherboard and am having problems upgrading from El Capitan. Thanks in advance.

Just my two cents as I'm now on Sierra (10.12.1 Beta to be precise):
Using the last version of AppleAlc.kext (https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases/tag/1.0.16) and injecting layout-id 3 via SSDT-HDEF-HDAS-1.aml

View media item 187604
gives me basic audio support without any hangs on boot:

View media item 187603
As you can see, I use an external USB sound card but the integrated audio is fully working (I don't have test the HDMI audio as I don't have any HDMI display but system report seems to say it's working:

View media item 187605
Waiting that Tolead finds a complete solution for our soudchip patching this is for me the simplest option. You can find attached modified SSDT-HDEF-HDAS-1.aml.

Cheers and happy hack to everyone.

P.S.: sorry for french in screenshots, I've been lazy and don't modify system language...

Attachments

• SSDT-HDEF-HDAS-1.aml
    259 bytes · Views: 203
Last edited:
Configuring the USB ports I get: [Errno 86] Bad CPU type in executable (this on a 10.6.8 Core Duo Macbook)

But the files still appear on the desktop... Can I trust them? Will try Sierra tomorrow...

From Terminal:

Do you want to enable: HS01? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: HS02? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: HS03? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: HS04? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: HS05? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: HS06? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: HS07? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: HS08? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: HS09? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: HS11? [Y/n] Y
You enabled: HS11, are you using it as an externally connected port (For example front USB)? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: HS12? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: HS13? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: HS14? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: SS01? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: SS02? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: SS03? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: SS04? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: SS05? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: SS06? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: SS09? [Y/n] Y
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/jweb/Downloads/USB-SSDT/USB-SSDT.command", line 188, in <module>
call([os.path.join(currentpath,"iasl61"), os.path.join(savepath,"USB-SSDT.dsl")], stdout=f)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 444, in call
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 595, in __init__
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1106, in _execute_child
OSError: [Errno 86] Bad CPU type in executable
logout

[Process completed]

Configuring the USB ports I get: [Errno 86] Bad CPU type in executable (this on a 10.6.8 Core Duo Macbook)

But the files still appear on the desktop... Can I trust them? Will try Sierra tomorrow...

From Terminal:

Do you want to enable: HS01? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: HS02? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: HS03? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: HS04? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: HS05? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: HS06? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: HS07? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: HS08? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: HS09? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: HS11? [Y/n] Y
You enabled: HS11, are you using it as an externally connected port (For example front USB)? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: HS12? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: HS13? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: HS14? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: SS01? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: SS02? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: SS03? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: SS04? [Y/n] n
Do you want to enable: SS05? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: SS06? [Y/n] Y
Do you want to enable: SS09? [Y/n] Y
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/jweb/Downloads/USB-SSDT/USB-SSDT.command", line 188, in <module>
call([os.path.join(currentpath,"iasl61"), os.path.join(savepath,"USB-SSDT.dsl")], stdout=f)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 444, in call
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 595, in __init__
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1106, in _execute_child
OSError: [Errno 86] Bad CPU type in executable
logout

[Process completed]
Hmm could be that your MacBook is 32bit and the aisl61 executable is 64bit only.

You /should/ be able to install using the black ports and then run the script directly on your hack.

Thank you, cnrd, for your work very interesting.
I've a question (my motherboard is a GA-Z170X-Gaming5) :
Is your "sudo pmset -a standby 0 && sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0" to fix long sleep crashes compatible with my motherboard ?
If I try it and malfunction, is it possible to go back and how ? (Sorry for my bad English, I'm French ;) )
PS : I've the same issue with second (or more) display : black screen when I boot again computer... An idea ? :)
PS 2 : issue displays solved :-if necessary- I boot a second time and it's OK !!>

Last edited:
Thank you, cnrd, for your work very interesting.
I've a question (my motherboard is a GA-Z170X-Gaming5) :
Is your "sudo pmset -a standby 0 && sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0" to fix long sleep crashes compatible with my motherboard ?
If I try it and malfunction, is it possible to go back and how ? (Sorry for my bad English, I'm French ;) )
PS : I've the same issue with second (or more) display : black screen when I boot again computer... An idea ? :)
PS 2 : issue displays solved :-if necessary- I boot a second time and it's OK !!>

As for the pmset comment, pmset is just a terminal command to manage your power management settings. pmset -g shows you what they are currently set to. Let's say you do pmset -g and you get this:

Currently in use:
standbydelay 10800
standby 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
powernap 0
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 1
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 3
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 10
acwake 0

(the settings vary by desktop or laptop; just ignore anything you don't recognize)
That command sets standby to 0 and autopoweroff to 0. These values show that standby is already 0, but autopoweroff is 1. So note your current values, then if you use that command and it doesn't help, rerun the command with your old values, and it will restore your system to what it used to be.

Let's say your standby is 5 and your autopoweroff is 1. You run the command, setting them both to 0. It doesn't help. Just run
sudo pmset -a standby 5 && sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 1
to reverse the changes you made.
In terminal you can see what all these values mean by running man pmset.

As for dual monitors, I'm waiting for an HDMI - DP adapter to try out dual monitors. Folks report that dual monitors can work if you boot with only one active, and hot plug in the second one after POST, or at the desktop. Patches are required for this to work for some folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back