Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
macOS Sierra on the GA-Z170X-UD3

Changelog (May not be complete)
  • Updated some of the guide for Sierra (Steps should be the same, but some names may be wrong, please report any inconsistencies you have found). DATE: 20/09/16
  • Added upgrade path from El Capitan DATE: 20/09/16

My Configuration

What works
  • SATA
  • USB 2.0 and USB 3.0
  • Audio including HDMI/DP
  • CPU power management
  • GPU power management
  • Sleep
  • Build-in Ethernet (Including WOL)
  • TRIM support enabled
  • Intel HD530 integrated graphics (Untested by me, find a guide somewhere on the forums)

What sorta works
  • USB 3.1 Type A port works with a mouse. (Unable to mount any drives on that port.)
  • Nvidia GPU (Problems with dual monitors).

Untested
  • USB 3.1 Type C port

Installation prerequisites
  • A GA-Z170X-UD3 build
  • A working Mac or Hackintosh
  • A USB stick or drive, 16 GB or larger

Get Sierra
  1. Open Mac App Store
  2. Log in with your Apple ID
  3. Download OS X El Capitan (10.11.4 or higher required)
  4. When the download finishes and the setup screen appears, Quit the app from the menu bar. You should now see the application /Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app

Things to download

IMPORTANT: Unplug all monitor except your primary now! (Both for new installs and updates)

Upgrade path if my El Capitan guide was used
Prerequisites

• A working El Capitan installation
  • My USB method
  • Mac Pro 6,1 or iMac17,1 SMBIOS
  • A backup of all important data (I also like to live dangerously)
Do the following before updating to Sierra
  1. Clover (Download clover from above, install then restart).
  2. Remove the following from your Clover EFI folder:
    • /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/AppleALC.kext (Currently causes unbootable system on Sierra)
  3. Replace the following with files from Clover Files-10.12.zip:
    • SSDT-HDEF-HDAS-1.aml (/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched)
    • IntelMausiEthernet.kext (/EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other)
  4. Set CsrActiveConfig to 0x67 (Disable SIP).
Update to Sierra
  1. Run the Install macOS Sierra.app
  2. On reboot choose the Install Sierra from Clover screen (add nv_disable=1 flag.
  3. On reboot add nv_disable=1 flag.
  4. You should now be in Sierra, yay!
  5. Install beta nvidia drivers, downloaded above.
  6. If using iMac17,1: run AGDPFix.app
  7. Reboot (You should now have working graphics).
  8. Run audio_cloverALC-120.command for audio.
  9. If using macPro6,1: Unpack freqVectorsEdit.sh-master.zip, run freqVectorsEdit.sh. Choose the option called: "Mac-65CE76090165799A.plist (iMac17,1)"
  10. Run the following commands (One at a time):
    Code:
        sudo rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache
    Code:
        sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
    Code:
        sudo kextcache -system-caches
    Code:
    sudo pmset -a standby 0 && sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
  11. Shutdown your computer.
  12. Plugin your other monitors (DVI may not work currently)
  13. Start the system and enjoy Sierra

BIOS Settings
  • In BIOS Features
    • Fast Boot: Disabled
    • Windows 8/10 Fatures: Windows 8/10
    • CSM Support: Enabled
    • Network Stack: Disabled
  • In Peripherals:
    • Intel Platform Trust Technology: Disabled
    • Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot (Or whatever slot your GFX is in)
    • Legacy USB Support: Enabled
    • XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
    • Port 60/64 Emulation: Disabled
    • In Super IO Configuration:
      • Serial Port 1: Disabled
  • In Chipset:
    • VT-d: Disabled
    • Internal Graphics: Disabled
    • Audio Controller: Enabled
    • PCH LAN Controller: Enabled
    • IOAPIC 24-119 Entries: Enabled

Configure USB ports.
USB layout Z170X-UD3 backplate.jpg USB layout Z170X-UD3 board.jpg
(Credit Scabattoir)

1. Unpack USB-SSDT.zip
  2. Run USB-SSDT.command (Alt click and press Open)
  3. Use the pictures above to find the ports you need to enable.
  4. Two files (USB-SSDT.aml and SSDT-5.aml) will be saved on your desktop, save these for later.

HSxx (eg. HS01) is USB 2.0
SSxx (eg. SS01) is USB 3.0

You will need to enable both HS and SS if you want USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 on the same port.

Prepare Installer
  1. Insert USB Drive
  2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
  3. Format drive as Name: Untitled, Format: OS X Extended (Journaled), Sheme: GUID Partition Map
  4. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and run this command (Your password will not be shown when typing)
    Code:
    sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath "/Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app" --nointeraction
  5. Run Clover app from the downloaded ZIP
  6. Choose Change Install Location... and choose your USB
  7. Choose Customize
  8. Enable these flags
    • Install for UEFI booting only
    • Drivers64UEFI
      • OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
      • EmuVariableUefi-64
  9. Choose install
  10. When finished open the EFI partiton -> CLOVER folder
  11. Copy files from Desktop to these places
    • ACPI/patched/SSDT-5.aml
    • ACPI/patched/USB-SSDT.aml
  12. Copy files from Clover Files to these places
    • config.plist
    • kexts/Other/FakeSMC.kext
    • kexts/Other/IntelMausiEthernet.kext
    • kexts/Other/CodecCommander.kext
    • drivers64UEFI/HFSPlus.efi
    • ACPI/patched/XOSI-WIN10.aml
    • ACPI/patched/SSDT-HDEF-HDAS-1.aml
  13. Delete these files and folders
    • kexts/10.*
    • drivers64UEFI/VBoxHfs-64.efi

Install Sierra
  1. Insert USB drive Please use one of the black ports near the PS/2 port on the motherboard I/O
  2. Hit F12 and choose UEFI: USB Drive Name
  3. When in Clover, please add the bootflag "nv_disable=1" (Whitout the quotes), then highlight Boot Mac OS X from USB, hit space and choose Boot verbose
  4. When in the installer, choose your language.
  5. Choose Disk Utility and format the drive you want to install OS X onto.
  6. Close Disk Utility and choose Install OS X
  7. Choose your harddive and hit install
  8. Go take a cup of tea and wait for reboot (This may take up to 30 min)
  9. When in Clover again, if there is no drive with the name you chose in the installer choose Boot Mac OS X from USB again, else choose your drive name. (Remeber to add the "nv_disable=1" flag again)
  10. If you chose Boot Mac OS X from USB an installer should begin again, take another cup of tea now.
  11. When your chosen drive name shows up in Clover highligt it, hit space and choose verbose boot.
  12. You should now be at the OS X setup screen, choose your username and so on Do not login to your Apple ID at this time.
  13. You should now be at the Desktop, go pet you cat/dog/child/wife/husband/rubberduck.

Post-Installation Configuration
  1. Run Clover installer (Choose the same as before, but also choose Install RC scripts on target volume (To fix missing NVRam))
  2. Copy the same files as for the installer
  3. CPU PM:
    1. Unpack freqVectorsEdit.sh-master.zip, run freqVectorsEdit.sh. Choose the option called: "Mac-65CE76090165799A.plist (iMac17,1)"
    2. Reboot
    3. Run the ssdtPRGen.sh script that was downloaded earlier (If your CPU is overclocked, add "-turbo xxxx" without the quotes. Ex: "-turbo 4400" for 4.4GHz)
  4. To get HDMI audio run audio_cloverHDMI-110.command Do not do this if you use an Nvidia GPU!
  5. Run the following command to fix long sleep crashes:
    Code:
    sudo pmset -a standby 0 && sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
  6. If you want to use iMessage, use An iDiot's Guide To iMessage. (Not my idea for the name, that is what it's called). Generate values for MacPro6,1.
  7. Make sure that this variable is NOT removed in config.plist: <key>UseARTFrequency</key> <false/>, it should be present under CPU, but Clover Configurator remove the variable.
  8. Reboot, you should now be able to boot into a working OS X

Setup NVIDIA Graphics
Do all of these steps before rebooting!
If you use another Graphics Card, please search the forum for how to setup.
  1. If you use a 9xx series graphics card install the NVIDIA Web Drivers
  2. From Clover Files copy: ACPI/patched/SSDT-HDMI-NVIDIA-PEG0.aml to the same place in your Clover folder.
  3. Reboot

You can now plugin all your monitors (DVI may not work with Nvidia)

Credits

Last edited:
Thanks @cnrd, I'm going to run through the upgrade path when this is released later today. I see there is a Clover v3751 out, is there a reason you are using v3662 or have you just not gotten around to updating to latest version? Wanted to make sure there isn't a known issue with the later versions.

Clover changelog: https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/HEAD/log

Thanks @cnrd, I'm going to run through the upgrade path when this is released later today. I see there is a Clover v3751 out, is there a reason you are using v3662 or have you just not gotten around to updating to latest version? Wanted to make sure there isn't a known issue with the later versions.

Clover changelog: https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/HEAD/log

Sorry uploaded the wrong version, should be fixed now :)

BIOS F7c - disputed recommendation. What does not work with v.F6? I have worked all on GM2 including current AppleALC.kext.

Some people have problems with multiple boot entries, they reported that F7c fixed it without having to do the manually adding boot entires to UEFI.

AppleALC.kext (Newest version) is causing boot hangs on my system, with both clean install and upgrade.

Ok I'm up and running on Sierra.

I've had to fight a bit with the nvidia graphics going to black screen on boot again. Previously I've been using PikerAlpha's clover patch to enable this (https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/patching-applegraphicsdevicepolicy-kext/), but that doesn't seem to be working anymore with Sierra (or maybe its the new Clover version). Until this gets figured out, I've just directly edited the AppleGraphicsControl.kext plist for my board-id (which maybe what AGDPFix.app does).

Now for audio I went ahead and tried the latest version (1.0.16) of AppleALC.kext and that appears to be working for me. I know @cnrd was getting boot issues with this, so I will keep an eye on it.

Ok I'm up and running on Sierra.

I've had to fight a bit with the nvidia graphics going to black screen on boot again. Previously I've been using PikerAlpha's clover patch to enable this (https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/patching-applegraphicsdevicepolicy-kext/), but that doesn't seem to be working anymore with Sierra (or maybe its the new Clover version). Until this gets figured out, I've just directly edited the AppleGraphicsControl.kext plist for my board-id (which maybe what AGDPFix.app does).

Now for audio I went ahead and tried the latest version (1.0.16) of AppleALC.kext and that appears to be working for me. I know @cnrd was getting boot issues with this, so I will keep an eye on it.
Yeah, the nvidia drivers still seem pretty unstable... I cannot use DP + DVI at all, that always results in a black screen.

I just tested the 10.0.16 release of AppleALC.kext with macPro6,1; iMac17,1; and iMac14,2 and it did boot up correctly two times after I switched to iMac17,1 but then it got stuck while booting again.

If anyone is using the onboard Intel 530 for their graphics, you are best off waiting on this upgrade, otherwise you'll experience the known tearing and flickering of the upper left area of the screen. Hopefully, a fix arrives soon.

Do you seen no sound after sleep? How to fix it?
Audio is working after sleep (back/front audio switching also works) with RAM sleep.

I see that you are on a GA-Z170X-UD5?

If that is an ALC1150, you can try adding the CodecCommander.kext from the Clover Files zip in the guide to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back