Contribute
Register

[Guide] Sierra on HP Spectre x360 native Kaby Lake Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, more like audio crackling and some sleep issues. I think the codec needs to be patched for this laptop specifically, but I have not had the time to learn how to do that yet.

Try eapdfix It seems to be a different approach to a similar issue that CC tackles and you can configure the pins if you need to. It's more simple asking for the speaker, mic etc

Also, on the battery patch, here's a text file for an HP spectre battery patch I made, for BIOS F.36 (tested on F.40). I also have the same files as an SSDT hot patch if anyone wants those.

Thanks for your comment on that -- I'd like to try it. I patched my DSDT using the battery_HP-G6-2221ss.txt from RehabMan's repo (as per olirehacek's guide). As things stand, my battery status info disappears from the menu bar sometimes, but what are hallmarks of a more functional patch? Is this another consideration in lowering power consumption?

I tried looking at battery_HP-G6-2221ss.txt and your patch side by side, but it is not easy to compare them. Thanks.

Thanks for your comment on that -- I'd like to try it. I patched my DSDT using the battery_HP-G6-2221ss.txt from RehabMan's repo (as per olirehacek's guide). As things stand, my battery status info disappears from the menu bar sometimes, but what are hallmarks of a more functional patch? Is this another consideration in lowering power consumption?

I tried looking at battery_HP-G6-2221ss.txt and your patch side by side, but it is not easy to compare them. Thanks.

It's just for battery status and stabillity, but you're not going to get low power consumption regardless if you use nvme

Having the same issue, read acpi specs and research _bif and _bst methods

Just realized I accidentally blocked you somehow, I wasn't able to see any of your guides or posts and I thought there was something wrong with my adblocker.. It's funny how it's right next to the follow button.

I never realized that the brightness went to zero on a real mac, it just seems so.. unnatural.

Is there any other form of power management beyond PluginType1 and vectorfreq? Pretty sure there are multiple CPU power management guides, but you only use one of each. My laptop seems to be managing power and during light load, it will jump to 8W or higher and quickly return to 1.7W. Not sure if this is due to the NVMe drive alone which I will be replacing shortly, but my battery life is a joke, lasting 3-4 hours.

My laptop seems to be managing power and during light load, it will jump to 8W or higher and quickly return to 1.7W.

Normal.
"rush to idle"

Is there any other form of power management beyond PluginType1 and vectorfreq? Pretty sure there are multiple CPU power management guides, but you only use one of each. My laptop seems to be managing power and during light load, it will jump to 8W or higher and quickly return to 1.7W. Not sure if this is due to the NVMe drive alone which I will be replacing shortly, but my battery life is a joke, lasting 3-4 hours.

The only battery life optimizations I have made are PluginType=1, Customizing frequency vectors to in i5-7200U, and removing the NVME drive. Of these, the only one to make any real impact was removing the NVME drive. Without power management, the NVME drive heats up, causing your fans to kick on. The computer basically is now drawing a lot of power for the NVME drive and a lot of power to continuously run its fans. Before swapping my NVME drive for a SATA drive, I probably maxed out at 5 hours of battery life on Mac OS. Now, I get anywhere from 8-9 I'd say, 5-6 under a heavier workload.

The only battery life optimizations I have made are PluginType=1, Customizing frequency vectors to in i5-7200U, and removing the NVME drive. Of these, the only one to make any real impact was removing the NVME drive. Without power management, the NVME drive heats up, causing your fans to kick on. The computer basically is now drawing a lot of power for the NVME drive and a lot of power to continuously run its fans. Before swapping my NVME drive for a SATA drive, I probably maxed out at 5 hours of battery life on Mac OS. Now, I get anywhere from 8-9 I'd say, 5-6 under a heavier workload.

What sata drive did you specifically ourchase?

Using an 850 EVO
Finally got an 860 EVO which is sata and did a quick time machine backup. However it's still very similar in wattage, It dropped to around 1.4 now.

Finally got an 860 EVO which is sata and did a quick time machine backup. However it's still very similar in wattage, It dropped to around 1.4 now.

Very strange. You've correctly set up power management and injected USB power properties? Another thing to look into would be X86 Platform Plugin modification, which enables lower idle speeds for the processor.

Actually, just looked up your model and it could very likely be your SD card reader (Dell XPS 13 users have this issue)

If your machine is anything like mine, the UEFI settings will have no options to disable your SD card reader. If you want to attempt it, then you'll need to dump you SETUP IFR data from your BIOS file and then use setup_var2 to toggle it. I've used this to disable CFG-Lock on my hack successfully. Here's a like to a guide for using the technique to change DVMT prealloc to 64 MB, which you can follow and simply look for settings related to your SD card reader instead.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/305710-guide-intel-hd-graphics-5500-on-os-x-yosemite-10103/

Keep in mind, if you don't have an SD card reader this is not worth your time, and if you can find the setting in your UEFI settings just turn it off there. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back