Contribute
Register

[Guide] Sierra on HP Spectre x360 native Kaby Lake Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting we have similar IA and DRAM, but something else is being added on to my wattage. I can't figure it out sadly spent hours looking everywhere.

I got really impatient and just tore the dam thing out. My wattage is at 0.69 right now, disconnected the power cable and put the SD Card reader back in so there isnt a strange hole in the chasis. Problem solved!

I got really impatient and just tore the dam thing out. My wattage is at 0.69 right now, disconnected the power cable and put the SD Card reader back in so there isnt a strange hole in the chasis. Problem solved!

If it works it works I suppose!

If it works it works I suppose!

Just wondering how did you setup the touchscreen? Without the voodoo kext I can touch and drag with easy, but I can't double click, scroll, gestures etc

With the kext I can't tap anything but I can scroll.

Just wondering how did you setup the touchscreen? Without the voodoo kext I can touch and drag with easy, but I can't double click, scroll, gestures etc

With the kext I can't tap anything but I can scroll.

Your touchscreen is a unique case, since it is on the USB bus I believe. I setup my touchscreen by following the VoodooI2C guides but I'm not sure if that would work for you, probably a good question for the support thread for VoodooI2C

Your touchscreen is a unique case, since it is on the USB bus I believe. I setup my touchscreen by following the VoodooI2C guides but I'm not sure if that would work for you, probably a good question for the support thread for VoodooI2C
Alright thanks!

Step 2: Format Disk to 4k sectors and partition:

In this step, we will format the disk to 4k sectors, and repartition it for use with OS X and Windows.

Note this will erase your ENTIRE DISK!! If you have any important data BACK IT UP

With that disclaimer, lets hop back into the guide

Now is a good time to disable secure boot, so go ahead and do that before you boot into Linux

Formatting your disk to 4k sectors

You will want to insert your linux live CD, and press F9 while booting to get to the boot loader selection menu, where you should be able to select the entry corresponding to your linux drive (These entries are usually named after the drive, not the boot loader, so you may accidentally pick OS X the first time, if so just reboot and try again)​

Once booted into linux, connect to wifi and install the following packages:
  • nvme-cli
  • smartmontools.
Now go into your terminal and enter the following:
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
Make note of the device path for your nvme drive (mine is /dev/nvme0n1)
now enter
Code:
sudo smartctl -a path-to-your-nvme-drive
(replacing path-to-your-nvme-drive with your device path)

the output should contain something similar to this
Code:
Supported LBA Sizes (NSID 0x1)

Id Fmt  Data  Metadt  Rel_Perf

0 +     512       0         0

1 -    4096       0         0
The two lines show us our drive supports 512 byte and 4096 byte (4k) sectors. (If this table isn’t showing up in output, try updating smartmontools)

The “+” shows us we are currently using the 512 byte format

To switch formats, issue the following command (replacing 1 with the Id column of the 4096 byte sector size)

Code:
nvme-format -l 1 path-to-your-nvme-drive

THIS COMMAND WILL FORMAT YOUR DRIVE, WIPING THE ENTIRE PARTITION TABLE!

Once the command runs, verify it worked by issuing:
Code:
sudo smartctl -a path-to-your-nvme-drive

Your output should now have a plus sign by the 4096 line and not the 512 one, like this:
Code:
Supported LBA Sizes (NSID 0x1)

Id Fmt  Data  Metadt  Rel_Perf

0 -     512       0         0

1 +    4096       0         0

Now, reboot into the Sierra installer. You should see the drive in disk utility. Format is as a GUID drive, with two HFS+ (Journaled) partitions. We will reformat one of these partitions in the windows installer, but if we create this partition as MS-DOS FAT or ExFAT will will write a hybrid MBR to the disk, causing Windows installation to fail.

Now install Mac OS Sierra onto your hard drive.​
Would be nice to include some credits;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back