Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] SFP+ 10Gb Optical Fiber macOS Ventura

Hi guys! I haven't forget this thread, but today I finally got everything and my fiber connection attatched!

PHOTO-2023-05-17-20-57-59.jpg

I had 0 problems, i was able to pass fiber through walls and solarflare is really great.

I'm here to thank you @etorix and @Edhawk and everyone else, the fiber cable was the way not cat8, cheaper and a lot better.

I am also attatching my final setup that might be useful for someone:

Screenshot 2023-05-20 alle 00.12.27.png

Thanks for giving me this idea and for all the advices!!

Andyapple

Hi guys! I haven't forget this thread, but today I finally got everything and my fiber connection attatched!

View attachment 566855

I had 0 problems, i was able to pass fiber through walls and solarflare is really great.

I'm here to thank you @etorix and @Edhawk and everyone else, the fiber cable was the way not cat8, cheaper and a lot better.

I am also attatching my final setup that might be useful for someone:

View attachment 566856
Thanks for giving me this idea and for all the advices!!

Andyapple
Very interesting! Hai TIM come provider? Did you experience any problem in dealing with fibre cables along the walls? I have very narrow conduits in my house.

Very interesting! Hai TIM come provider? Did you experience any problem in dealing with fibre cables along the walls? I have very narrow conduits in my house.
Hi!
@Azimuth1 Yes I have TIM, it' really great, great speed and 0 problems at the moment.
It uses xgspon for 10gb and I am using internal ont of tim modem, so I can use the 10gb port to use it with Mirkotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN switch, which is an amazing switch, it has a lot of features, but I use it in default mode.

For cables there were no problems but I had to study a way to put the cable inside conduits, since i passed two duplex cable, 30 and 20 meters, and in my conduit it can fit only an LC per time so I had to separate all the cables from each other and put them like in a row see my posts: #51 and #53 .

This thread can be useful to anyone who wants these speed for sfp+ 10gb on macos and maybe these advices can also help somebody to have fiber in conduits like I did with this method shown in post 53.

Thanks to everyone again,

Andyapple

Screenshot 2023-05-20 alle 20.20.16.png

Cable I used @Azimuth1, you can also try to buy a short one and do some test with your conduits

This thread can be useful to anyone who wants these speed for sfp+ 10gb on macos
Indeed—but you're too modest on one point: This is useful beyond SFP+ and/or 10 GbE.
Let's complete the case study.

Approximate Bill of Materials for this project:

Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN 150 E
SFP+ optical transceiver 25 E * 6
SFP+ RJ45 transceiver 80 E
OM4 patch cables (20m, 30m, 2m) 20 + 30 + 10 E
Solarflare SFN5122F NIC from eBay 45 E * 3 (+ possible 20-25% custom duties) (amazingly, the PCIe 3.0 SFN7122F come at the same price as its older PCIe 2.0 siblings…)
Edit. The archived drivers work for SFN5122F and SF6122F and other PCIe 2.0 cards, but not for the PCIe 3.0 7122F.

Total: about 600 E for a complete optical network. 200 E per computer.

Possible variants:
  • A 2m DAC at 17 E to replace a 60 E optical solution at 10+2*25=60 E for the computer in room A.
  • CRS309-1G-8S+IN (300 E) for more ports.
  • QNAP QSW-M408S or M408-2C to integrate gigabit RJ45 (8 ports) and 10 gigabit (4 ports, 4*SFP+ or 2*SFP+ + 2 combo SFP+/RJ45) (300 / 400 E… but combo ports avoid buying RJ45 transceivers to integrate some 10 GbE devices on copper); the 2.5 GbE equivalent are the QSW-M2106.
Conclusion:
Fibre is cheap. Bringing copper RJ45 in the mix increases costs. (Some would say that 2.5 GbE was devised solely for consumers to keep spending on RJ45 devices…)

Fibre comes in a dizzying variety of types (single mode / multimode), ratings (OS1, OS3 for SMF; OM3, OM4, OM5), connectors (SC, LC, MTP/MPO…), matings, and possible vendor locking. For home use, the go-to solution is multimode fibre (MMF) of OM3/OM4 grade (teal/aqua/purple), with duplex LC connector, and corresponding short range (-SR) optics (850 nm).

For short distances, there are Direct Attach Cables (DAC) or Active Optical Cables (AOC) for not-so-short distances. These come cheaper than a patch cable and a pair of modules, but are a fixed configuration which may make it difficult to connect, say, a vendor-locked Intel NIC to a vendor-locked Dell switch (Dell wants you to buy the Dell-coded Intel NIC at Dell mark-up price…). Separate modules allow to mix-and-match, or to replace the Intel NIC by a Mellanox NIC by swapping the Intel-coded module for a Mellanox-coded module without touching the rest of the cable.

Discrete modules also allow to swap for higher speeds. OM4 fibre is rated for up to 100 GbE over 150 m (70 m for OM3). 25BASE-SR SFP28 modules for 25 GbE, come at 50 E a piece. This could be a realistic upgrade.
Higher speeds come at higher costs: QSFP+ (40 GbE) and QSFP28 (100 GbE) modules for duplex LC are over 300 E / 500 E. Affordable modules (50 / 120 E) for these speeds use MTP/MPO-12 connectors, which bundle multiple fibres in a single package—and thus different cables. 100 GbE is probably more useful as backbone for a datacentre than for a home network, but it is not completely beyond reach.

Last edited:
Indeed—but you're too modest on one point: This is useful beyond SFP+ and/or 10 GbE.
Let's complete the case study.

Approximate Bill of Materials for this project:

Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN 150 E
SFP+ optical transceiver 25 E * 6
SFP+ RJ45 transceiver 80 E
OM4 patch cables (20m, 30m, 2m) 20 + 30 + 10 E
Solarflare SFN5122F NIC from eBay 45 E * 3 (+ possible 20-25% custom duties) (amazingly, the PCIe 3.0 SFN7122F come at the same price as its older PCIe 2.0 siblings…)

Total: about 600 E for a complete optical network. 200 E per computer.

Possible variants:
  • A 2m DAC at 17 E to replace a 60 E optical solution at 10+2*25=60 E for the computer in room A.
  • CRS309-1G-8S+IN (300 E) for more ports.
  • QNAP QSW-M408S or M408-2C to integrate gigabit RJ45 (8 ports) and 10 gigabit (4 ports, 4*SFP+ or 2*SFP+ + 2 combo SFP+/RJ45) (300 / 400 E… but combo ports avoid buying RJ45 transceivers to integrate some 10 GbE devices on copper); the 2.5 GbE equivalent are the QSW-M2106.
Conclusion:
Fibre is cheap. Bringing copper RJ45 in the mix increases costs. (Some would say that 2.5 GbE was devised solely for consumers to keep spending on RJ45 devices…)

Fibre comes in a dizzying variety of types (single mode / multimode), ratings (OS1, OS3 for SMF; OM3, OM4, OM5), connectors (SC, LC, MTP/MPO…), matings, and possible vendor locking. For home use, the go-to solution is multimode fibre (MMF) of OM3/OM4 grade (teal/aqua/purple), with duplex LC connector, and corresponding short range (-SR) optics (850 nm).

For short distances, there are Direct Attach Cables (DAC) or Active Optical Cables (AOC) for not-so-short distances. These come cheaper than a patch cable and a pair of modules, but are a fixed configuration which may make it difficult to connect, say, a vendor-locked Intel NIC to a vendor-locked Dell switch (Dell wants you to buy the Dell-coded Intel NIC at Dell mark-up price…). Separate modules allow to mix-and-match, or to replace the Intel NIC by a Mellanox NIC by swapping the Intel-coded module for a Mellanox-coded module without touching the rest of the cable.

Discrete modules also allow to swap for higher speeds. OM4 fibre is rated for up to 100 GbE over 150 m (70 m for OM3). 25BASE-SR SFP28 modules for 25 GbE, come at 50 E a piece. This could be a realistic upgrade.
Higher speeds come at higher costs: QSFP+ (40 GbE) and QSFP28 (100 GbE) modules for duplex LC are over 300 E / 500 E. Affordable modules (50 / 120 E) for these speeds use MTP/MPO-12 connectors, which bundle multiple fibres in a single package—and thus different cables. 100 GbE is probably more useful as backbone for a datacentre than for a home network, but it is not completely beyond reach.
Thanks again for all your knowledge and your support in this thread. This post is very helpful and specific.

I forgot to mention I read on one of your previous posts about DAC, I bought one and I am using it in room A

IMG_1846.jpeg

This one. Everything is working really great so far

[..]
On my Gigabyte Z390 Designare (Intel CPU) and B550 Vision D (AMD Ryzen CPU) I have Gigabyte GC-AQC113C. I use a simple SSDT to spoof the device ID because it uses a slightly different controller.

But sleep works properly with cable connected (both Monterey and Ventura).
..is it still valid CaseySJ? I just found that GC-AQC113C is available and was thinking to buy one or two to fix once and for all the issue we have on the Asus Creator Z690 when connecting a cable to the 10Gb port. Otherwise, an Intel X540... @etorix could you please chime in?

Most AQC-107 cards should work properly (i.e. no sleep issue).
Not sure whether it's true or not -- I read in some comments that AQC113 replaced AQC107, which was running hot, too, and that's what the Asus uses now in the V2 version of XG-C100C; however, many people complain have complains when it comes to the XG-C100C V2.

..is it still valid CaseySJ? I just found that GC-AQC113C is available and was thinking to buy one or two to fix once and for all the issue we have on the Asus Creator Z690 when connecting a cable to the 10Gb port. Otherwise, an Intel X540... @etorix could you please chime in?

Yes the GC-AQC113C continues to work well (no sleep issue in latest Ventura).

Back