Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] SFP+ 10Gb Optical Fiber macOS Ventura

I am far from an expert on Aquantia Ethernet configurations, maybe @CaseySJ might like to comment, as he has created a number of Kernel Patches and and SSDT for Aquantia 107 and 113 Ethernet cards for AMD systems running Monterey and Ventura.

I am not sure if these patches and the SSDT (when edited) will work the same in an Intel system, so I am reluctant to provide a link to the post he created over at AMD OS X.
To clarify the purpose of those patches:
  • They allow Aquantia AQC-107 and AQC-113 controllers to work in Monterey and Ventura in the absence of AppleVTD
  • On AMD Ryzen we don't have AppleVTD, so these patches are necessary
  • On Intel systems we can enable AppleVTD, but if for some reason this is not doable, then the patches can be used in place of AppleVTD
Patches are available here:

OK, I knew there was more to it than just using the patches and SSDT.

Thanks for your input and clarifications.

Thank you guys, you've been very helpful @CaseySJ @Edhawk @zipb

Soon I'll get 10gb and I'm starting to get all that is needed to use it as the best that I can.
Now I can understand what to do, thanks to you all.

Andyapple

PS.
I'll let you know as soon as I get the 10gb fiber and the ethernet card If I'm able to use it.
Thanks a lot for your advices :)

Last edited:
If you're going for optical—which is the best option going forward—you may as well go for SFP+ on the card itself!
I've seen Aquantia cards with SFP+ cages, but this is where the $50 Solarflare cards on eBay become a very attractive option. There's a thread with drivers to download. Add suitable modules or DAC from fs.com (link to European branch) and you're all set.

If you're going for optical—which is the best option going forward—you may as well go for SFP+ on the card itself!
I've seen Aquantia cards with SFP+ cages, but this is where the $50 Solarflare cards on eBay become a very attractive option. There's a thread with drivers to download. Add suitable modules or DAC from fs.com (link to European branch) and you're all set.
I would love to, but I will have to change all the cables in my house and I think It would be to expensive, but I know, that would be the best solution! And thanks for your assist, those are great cards, affordable and with drivers.
I have to stick with Ethernet cable. I was thinking about a CAT 8 cable, if it fits :)
And I would also have to buy some switches 10gb :( and Ethernet cards for PCs.
It would be an expensive upgrade but I think "cheaper" than the one in fiber (even if that's the best).

Thanks

There's no need to redo your whole network. You only need a small optical switch for the few clients on fibre, e.g. a Mikrotik CRS-305-1G-4S+IN.
Alternatively, there are entry level switches like the QNAP M408 series which can accommodate eight "legacy" clients on 1 GBase-T and four 10 GbE clients on SFP+, 10 GBase-T (a real Mac?), or a mix of both.

Cat. 6A/7/8 copper cables are a dead end: Beyond 10 GbE it's all optical.

Hi guys here is an update!

I got 10gb ethernet card from Amazon IT Asus XG-C100C based on Aquantia (107 or 113).

So If I enable ForceAquantia and disable DisableIoMapper, the card works!
Otherwise, with only ForceAquantia card is detected, but It can't assign IP, so disabling DisableIoMapper, make it work.
The card is fully working, I can not test if at 10gb since I don't have that fiber connection, yet.

But there is a BIG problem! Enabling ForceAquantia, breaks my sleep!
It creates the instant wake sleep problem :(

I don't know how to fix this.

Can you please help me? @CaseySJ
Thanks,

Andyapple

@CaseySJ

Another update, DisableIoMapper is not need to be disabled IF I use ForceAquantia and your patches Set 1!

But the problem remains, ForceAquantia breaks my sleep and create instant wake issue.

Please help me to fix this.
Thanks

Screenshot 2023-03-06 alle 18.42.34.png

It is seen as AQC113, but is that card really 113 or 107? (Card Asus XG-C100C)

Results of pmset -g log | grep -e "Sleep.*due to" -e "Wake.*due to"

2023-03-06 18:53:20 +0100 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to 'Software Sleep pid=152':TCPKeepAlive=active Using AC (Charge:0%) 16 secs

2023-03-06 18:53:36 +0100 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDNP] : due to PEGP PXSX RP10 PXSX RP11 PXSX RP12 PXSX RP13 PXSX RP14 PXSX RP15 PXSX RP16 PXSX RP01 PXSX RP02 PXSX RP03 PXSX RP04 PXSX RP07 P/Network Using AC (Charge:0%) 3 secs

2023-03-06 18:53:39 +0100 Wake DarkWake to FullWake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to UserActivity Assertion Using AC (Charge:0%)

Back