Graphics
Intel GMA960 x3100
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I feel like describing my whole journey so there is a lot of my own musings in this guide. If you want just the straight step-by-step guide, look at the end of each section. More will be added as I get more working.

Well I got bored this weekend and decided, why not try to update the old 1525 from Mountain Lion to Mavericks. Being a beginner Hackintosher (my guide for Mountain Lion being the first time I tried to do something myself) I'm all about fresh starts. After making a new Time Machine backup of my latest Mountain Lion setup for when I inevitably screwed everything up, I started on my journey into the great unknown.

Pre-Install/Install

With Mountain Lion, I had a terrible time trying to get Unibeast to create an installer that would successfully boot. No such problems with Mavericks. Simply downloaded the Mavericks update, Unibeast, Multibeast (for Post-Install), and went to work. Half an hour later, I had booted into the Mavericks installer. Things are go so smoothly, this is going to be a piece of cake. Or so I thought. After a few deep breaths and convincing myself I was ready for this, my operating system partition was erased and I was left with a blank canvas (my Time Machine backups are on the same drive just a different partition). Begin Installation. 10 minutes later I come back excited to see the progress I have made on the installation and what do I find? A frozen laptop. Mouse and keyboard both unresponsive. Eh, maybe my display froze. But no, there is no hum from the hard drive and my USB stick isn't flashing as it does when data is being transferred. I am baffled. But I push on, undeterred. After a restarted, I try the whole process again. Again freeze. Try number three, and this time I'm going to outsmart the computer. I absentmindedly play with the trackpad during the entire install so that way it doesn't try to go to sleep. Well you know what engaging random infomercials can be, and 20 minutes later I remember there's a reason I'm playing with the trackpad. I look back to the laptop, which I have constantly been moving the mouse on, and its frozen again!!!! At this point I'm getting pretty annoyed. What is going on?! I have another Mac handy so I remake the USB installer. Same thing. I try using some older graphics and power management kexts. Same thing. At the time of the writing I'm still not certain what causes this but eventually I got the installer to finish. I think I tapped a key on the keyboard and clicked the mouse often enough that it didn't fall asleep? I'm still not certain but victory was obtained. So I warn any potential upgraders, if this is your main computer and you need it every day, maybe hold off until this gets figured out. I would hate for you to erase your whole computer only to not be able to install the new OS.

Step-By-Step

1. Create a USB installer with Unibeast the way the instructions say to. When you're done place Multibeast as well as the attached file of stuff for after the install is finished.

Post-Install

Now came the hard work. I booted back through my USB into my NEW Mavericks! And everything boots up perfectly. No need for -v -f -x or any other boot flags. The welcome installer comes up and I choose to start from scratch. Keyboard is recognized. Then we get to the internet part and of course it doesn't detect a Wifi device, the bane to almost all hackintoshing. I finish the setup and the desktop loads. First things first. Multibeast. UserDSDT because I saved my old DSDT, I did remember how much work making a hackintosh is so I tried to reuse everything I could from Mountain Lion. I change a couple of the option just because I have a laptop rather than a desktop, finish the build and reboot. Finally I can remove the USB stick and boot straight from the hard drive, and it boots perfectly!!!!! The desktop comes up again and I'm about to set to work, but the mouse isn't moving when I touch the trackpad. Oh gosh it looks the like kext that worked on the last boot doesn't work anymore....how does that happen? No worries, I boot -x and run Multibeast again, this time installing PS/2 Keyboard/Mice and Trackpads. After another reboot, finally I'm good. Now to set to work on all the extras.

Step-By-Step

2. Boot back into the USB, then at the boot menu press left to select your hard drive. Once you have finished the setup your prompted with, run Multibeast.
3. Click Quick Start, select UserDSDT and select the DSDT.aml from the folder you downloaded.
4. Click Drivers, Audio, Universal, VoodooHDA v2.8.4 - This is for Audio, though I am trying to find an native way.
5. Click Drivers, Misc, PS/2 Keyboard/Mice and Trackpads. You have to do this!!!! If you forget, boot -x which is safe mode and install it.
6. Click Customize and in Boot Options change Hibernate Mode to - Laptop
7. Click Customize and in System Definitions change to MacBook Pro 8,1
8. Click Build and Install.

The base system is complete. As I get more things to work I will update this. Sorry this is all I have right now.

First off Wifi. This has always been a problem for us. I use the IO80211Family.kext that made wifi work on Mountain Lion. After a reboot, my wireless card is recognized and I can see networks. But every time I try to connect, I get "Connection Failed." No fear, I remember this from a Mountain Lion update, I had to use an older airportd in /usr/libexec. I replace that but that actually makes it so I can't even view networks. In fact that makes things even worse because the whole menu bar freezes when I try click on the wifi icon. So I have undone that replacement of airportd and this is where I'm stuck at. If anyone has ideas, I'd be happy to try them out.

Next Sound. The latest VoodooHDA in Multibeast works, but I want to find something more native, I've tried using my old AppleHDA.kext and LegacyHDA.kext but no luck. I'm going to keep working on it but if you want sound now just use the Voodoo.

Graphics. This seems like a nightmare but I know that I can use my color scheme from last time so I tried that. Color scheme looks better, haven't tried to get QE/CI working. Just copy the two files from the Graphics folder to /System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles then go in to System Preferences-Displays-Color and Select Dell 1525.

Attachments

• Mavericks.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,102
well good to know you got it working!

but man i've been facing the same problem of the installer freezing.. I tried your method of playing with the trackpad + keyboard and with like 16 mins left it still somehow freezes..

figured it out how you got it to work till the end?

I feel like describing my whole journey so there is a lot of my own musings in this guide. If you want just the straight step-by-step guide, look at the end of each section. More will be added as I get more working.

Well I got bored this weekend and decided, why not try to update the old 1525 from Mountain Lion to Mavericks. Being a beginner Hackintosher (my guide for Mountain Lion being the first time I tried to do something myself) I'm all about fresh starts. After making a new Time Machine backup of my latest Mountain Lion setup for when I inevitably screwed everything up, I started on my journey into the great unknown.

Pre-Install/Install

With Mountain Lion, I had a terrible time trying to get Unibeast to create an installer that would successfully boot. No such problems with Mavericks. Simply downloaded the Mavericks update, Unibeast, Multibeast (for Post-Install), and went to work. Half an hour later, I had booted into the Mavericks installer. Things are go so smoothly, this is going to be a piece of cake. Or so I thought. After a few deep breaths and convincing myself I was ready for this, my operating system partition was erased and I was left with a blank canvas (my Time Machine backups are on the same drive just a different partition). Begin Installation. 10 minutes later I come back excited to see the progress I have made on the installation and what do I find? A frozen laptop. Mouse and keyboard both unresponsive. Eh, maybe my display froze. But no, there is no hum from the hard drive and my USB stick isn't flashing as it does when data is being transferred. I am baffled. But I push on, undeterred. After a restarted, I try the whole process again. Again freeze. Try number three, and this time I'm going to outsmart the computer. I absentmindedly play with the trackpad during the entire install so that way it doesn't try to go to sleep. Well you know what engaging random infomercials can be, and 20 minutes later I remember there's a reason I'm playing with the trackpad. I look back to the laptop, which I have constantly been moving the mouse on, and its frozen again!!!! At this point I'm getting pretty annoyed. What is going on?! I have another Mac handy so I remake the USB installer. Same thing. I try using some older graphics and power management kexts. Same thing. At the time of the writing I'm still not certain what causes this but eventually I got the installer to finish. I think I tapped a key on the keyboard and clicked the mouse often enough that it didn't fall asleep? I'm still not certain but victory was obtained. So I warn any potential upgraders, if this is your main computer and you need it every day, maybe hold off until this gets figured out. I would hate for you to erase your whole computer only to not be able to install the new OS.

Step-By-Step

1. Create a USB installer with Unibeast the way the instructions say to. When you're done place Multibeast as well as the attached file of stuff for after the install is finished.

Post-Install

Now came the hard work. I booted back through my USB into my NEW Mavericks! And everything boots up perfectly. No need for -v -f -x or any other boot flags. The welcome installer comes up and I choose to start from scratch. Keyboard is recognized. Then we get to the internet part and of course it doesn't detect a Wifi device, the bane to almost all hackintoshing. I finish the setup and the desktop loads. First things first. Multibeast. UserDSDT because I saved my old DSDT, I did remember how much work making a hackintosh is so I tried to reuse everything I could from Mountain Lion. I change a couple of the option just because I have a laptop rather than a desktop, finish the build and reboot. Finally I can remove the USB stick and boot straight from the hard drive, and it boots perfectly!!!!! The desktop comes up again and I'm about to set to work, but the mouse isn't moving when I touch the trackpad. Oh gosh it looks the like kext that worked on the last boot doesn't work anymore....how does that happen? No worries, I boot -x and run Multibeast again, this time installing PS/2 Keyboard/Mice and Trackpads. After another reboot, finally I'm good. Now to set to work on all the extras.

Step-By-Step

2. Boot back into the USB, then at the boot menu press left to select your hard drive. Once you have finished the setup your prompted with, run Multibeast.
3. Click Quick Start, select UserDSDT and select the DSDT.aml from the folder you downloaded.
4. Click Drivers, Audio, Universal, VoodooHDA v2.8.4 - This is for Audio, though I am trying to find an native way.
5. Click Drivers, Misc, PS/2 Keyboard/Mice and Trackpads. You have to do this!!!! If you forget, boot -x which is safe mode and install it.
6. Click Customize and in Boot Options change Hibernate Mode to - Laptop
7. Click Customize and in System Definitions change to MacBook Pro 8,1
8. Click Build and Install.

The base system is complete. As I get more things to work I will update this. Sorry this is all I have right now.

First off Wifi. This has always been a problem for us. I use the IO80211Family.kext that made wifi work on Mountain Lion. After a reboot, my wireless card is recognized and I can see networks. But every time I try to connect, I get "Connection Failed." No fear, I remember this from a Mountain Lion update, I had to use an older airportd in /usr/libexec. I replace that but that actually makes it so I can't even view networks. In fact that makes things even worse because the whole menu bar freezes when I try click on the wifi icon. So I have undone that replacement of airportd and this is where I'm stuck at. If anyone has ideas, I'd be happy to try them out.

Next Sound. The latest VoodooHDA in Multibeast works, but I want to find something more native, I've tried using my old AppleHDA.kext and LegacyHDA.kext but no luck. I'm going to keep working on it but if you want sound now just use the Voodoo.

Graphics. This seems like a nightmare but I know that I can use my color scheme from last time so I tried that. Color scheme looks better, haven't tried to get QE/CI working. Just copy the two files from the Graphics folder to /System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles then go in to System Preferences-Displays-Color and Select Dell 1525.

I followed your original thread for the 1545 Mt Lion install, but I was never able to get it installed, and got frustrated with it. So I now have Mavericks installed on my desktop PC, I thought I'd give it a try again on my 1545.
I typically am not able to get past the initial install scripts. I usually end up with a kernel panic/stuck at PCI configuration/or some other oddity. I'm currently downloading Mavericks from the App store, so we'll see how this goes ;)

So I got Mavericks downloaded from the App store, your Mavericks files, Unibeast/Multibeast. I created my installed USB per the instructions.
I tried installing it last night but it didn't go quite that smooth for me. I tried maybe 12 times to install, MOST of the time I got stuck at PCI configuration, BUT I had a variety of other stoppages. Kernel panics of different sorts. I tried a few different boot flags, tried the different USB ports. Just didn't work too well.

I'll give it another run tonight after work

So straight boot with only -v gets me stopped at
[PCI configuration end, bridges 6, devices 17 ]
RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes)

I'll try a bunch of different boot flags, see if I can get it loaded

Edit**** Everything I tried, would not let me even get to the install screen, -v, -x, -f, -F, GraphicsEnabler=No, and Yes, npci=0x2000 and 3000, PCIRootUID=0 and 1, and many various combinations

Still freezes during install on my Dell Inspiron 1525 no matter what I try with this thread as well as the links here. Anyone get Mavericks 10.9.5 installed?

Still freezes during install on my Dell Inspiron 1525 no matter what I try with this thread as well as the links here. Anyone get Mavericks 10.9.5 installed?

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

It's a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. Specifications are basically the same as other owners posted. CPU: Pent Dual T2330, 1.6GHz Ram: 2GB RAM

If anyone is getting a screen freeze during the install of Mavericks on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop then go into the BIOS and shut off SpeedStep located in Performance. After doing that I was able to install. By default it is on.

It's a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. Specifications are basically the same as other owners posted. CPU: Pent Dual T2330, 1.6GHz Ram: 2GB RAM

Please update your profile/signature as requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back