Contribute
Register

[Guide] Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ with macOS Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I got the 5700 XT to work, and I see it during the booting time too. Only problem is, it is 30Hz on 4k only. There is no good resolution (or refresh rate) even if I look ti switchResX app. IS there something I'm missing? I can see that xard in "system info" asRadeon 5700 XT 8GB

Can anyone tel me if the Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ is Metal compatible? I have to work with adobe Peremiere and After Effects and I will install the card tomorow. But if it is not "Metal" Compatible I will sen it back.

Thanks for the help

Can anyone tel me if the Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ is Metal compatible? I have to work with adobe Peremiere and After Effects and I will install the card tomorow. But if it is not "Metal" Compatible I will sen it back.

Thanks for the help

All 5700 cards should be. Here is the graphics info from my PowerColor RX 5700 XT

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 3.31.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 3.31.10 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 222
Hey, I got the 5700 XT to work, and I see it during the booting time too. Only problem is, it is 30Hz on 4k only. There is no good resolution (or refresh rate) even if I look ti switchResX app. IS there something I'm missing? I can see that xard in "system info" asRadeon 5700 XT 8GB

Hold the option key and click scaled, check the show low resolutions box, change the refresh rate to 60Hz. You need to make sure both cable and monitor support HDMI 2.0.
Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 9.34.28 AM.png

Thanks for the help

I have the MSI Radeon RX5700xt Mech Oc 8GB.
It has metal support.
I have made a video with Benchmarks if you want to see.

Hold the option key and click scaled, check the show low resolutions box, change the refresh rate to 60Hz. You need to make sure both cable and monitor support HDMI 2.0.

Running OpenCore reduced the amount of issues I had significantly, now runs really smooth.

Tested several HDMI cables (including one rated 8K@60Hz) that only provided 30Hz, no 60Hz.
Using a DisplayPort cable did the trick, now running at 4K@60Hz.

ps. Strangely Linux and even OpenBSD do support 4K@60Hz over HDMI with the same monitor.

Can anyone tel me if the Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ is Metal compatible?

Can also confirm that System Information states Metal is supported on the Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+

Code:
Metal:    Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

Other options
RX 5700 XT works well for games, though in hindsight I wish I returned my RX 5700 XT and got something that performs better for my use cases (Pixelmator, Photoshop, DaVinci Resolve). Upgraded because GeForce was no longer supported in Hackintosh. Pugetsystems has some nice benchmarks and recommendations for After Affects which might help you. Also check the OpenCore GPU buyersguide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back