Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Samsung NP880Z5E-X01XX
Yosemite Install Guide.
version 0.2 by Vairn

Introduction
This laptop really was a pain to get OSX installed onto, after what seemed like months of work, I finally got a config which works for me. I have the Australian Model of this laptop, NP880Z5E-X01AU so, this is the only model which I can test on.
What follows is the ONLY way I have made a successful booting USB, so please follow this to the LETTER, otherwise your milage may vary.

Note, if you want to dual boot with windows, you will have to run a command under windows which modifies your bios’s inbuilt UEFI bootloader, just so that it loads clover, and not the Microsoft boot loader. This isn’t needed for the USB installer, or if you will install OSX to an external HDD, or just osx without window. Only needed if you want to dual boot.
This Laptop only has one HDD bay, so you can’t just install it onto another HDD to bypass this.
You could use a USB to boot into clover though, if you are scared of modifying your bios.

Bios Settings:
I have the latest firmware installed, and make sure you turn off secure boot, and set it to UEFI and CSM, and disable fast boot.
TODO: Add Screenshots of my bios settings.

Creating USB Stick
I used Rehabman’s Clover USB Install guide.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html
To make a UEFI GPT Disk, I recommend Reading this, I will just list the steps taken to create the USB here. (You need access to a Mac to do this.)
Insert an 8gb or more USB stick into one of your USB Ports.
open up terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
You now want to know which device is your USB, todo this please type
Code:
diskutil list
You will see output similar to the following.
Code:
Adams-MacBook-Air:extract Vairn$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1: DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC               471.9 MB   disk0s1
   2:                        EFI NO NAME                 104.9 MB   disk0s2
   3:         Microsoft Reserved                         16.8 MB    disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data                         140.0 GB   disk0s4
   5:                  Apple_HFS OSX                     137.4 GB   disk0s5
   6:       Microsoft Basic Data Data                    222.1 GB   disk0s6
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *31.0 GB    disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS install_osx             30.6 GB    disk1s2
You can see mine here is disk1 since that is my usb, disk0 is my SSD, which you can see has windows, and OSX installed.
You now want to repartition the usb, to be a 1 partition GPT volume, type the following into terminal:
Code:
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk1 1 GPT HFS+J "install_osx" R
Install Clover, I used verson v2.3k_r3270, here is how Rehabman says to install clover for UEFI.
Code:
For Clover UEFI, run the Clover Installer package:
- if using GPT, select the target of the install to "install_osx" using "Change Install Location"
- select "Customize" (the default is a legacy install -- we need to change it)
- check "Install for UEFI booting only", "Install Clover in the ESP" will automatically select
- check "Bluemac" from Themes (the config.plist files I provide use this theme)
- check "OsxAptioFixDrv-64" from Drivers64UEFI.
Ok, now I want you to download the following archive,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1KKq2IXSUYIN0RmY25MaDVCdUk/view
It has all the kext’s needed, and 2 working configs, one for the Installer, and one for Booting OSX.
Just Copy the contents of the archive to your EFI partition.
Easiest way to mount your usb’s EFI Partition, is to do it via the terminal.
if you look at the diskutil output I posted earlier, you shall see that the usb is disk1, and there is an EFI partition on it in slot 1.
So to mount this as a folder, type the following into your terminal window.

Code:
# temporary directory
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
#mount folder
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFI
Now you can easily copy the files from the zip over.
I will go into how and where I got the files from later, and the patches in the config.plist. :)
Now rename config-USB.plist to config.plist, config-OSX.plist is used one OSX is installed!
Cool, now we have installed clover, time to install OSX’s Installer. YOU have to use the BaseBinaries Method, the createinstallmedia way results in a non-working installer, (no idea why, just believe me)
Paraphrasing Rehabman again: BaseBinaries clone method
Code:
# temporary directory
mkdir /tmp/install_esd

# mount InstallESD.dmg in installer package
hdiutil attach "/Applications/Install OS X Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg" -readonly -mountpoint /tmp/install_esd -nobrowse

# restore it to target
sudo asr restore -source /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.dmg  -target /Volumes/install_osx -erase -format HFS+ -noprompt

# rename the target to be less unwieldy
diskutil rename "OS X Base System" install_osx

# remove Packages symlink
rm /Volumes/install_osx/System/Installation/Packages

# copy Packages as folder
cp -a /tmp/install_esd/Packages /Volumes/install_osx/System/Installation

# copy BaseSystem.dmg
cp -a /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.dmg /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/install_osx

# unmount InstallESD.dmg
hdiutil detach /tmp/install_esd

# remove temporary directory
rmdir /tmp/install_esd

You are now ready to eject your USB device.

Booting USB
Turn on your laptop, press f10 at the samsung logo bios screen, and choose UEFI <your USB Name Here> Clover should boot, and choose the osx install by default.
This may take some time to load up. The installer will appear, and you will see some graphics issues, the apple logo will be skewed. about 30% through loading.
There is meant to be a patch for this, but it has never bothered me, since it is only on the loading screen.

POST INSTALL
Still to come

Original Discussion Thread
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...amsung-ativ-book-8-installation-progress.html
*NOTE* Nicely formated Google Docs version available here.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/...eC49Lw94OPoN6W5zA/edit#heading=h.zgw3b2u2zyec

Attachments

• Clover.zip
    526.9 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:
If you want to install El Capitan, you need a modified version of the config.plist. (attached)

and use the following to install OSX to the usb

Code:
# temporary directory
mkdir /tmp/install_esd

# mount InstallESD.dmg in installer package
hdiutil attach "/Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg" -readonly -mountpoint /tmp/install_esd -nobrowse

# restore it to target
sudo asr restore -source /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.dmg  -target /Volumes/install_osx -erase -format HFS+ -noprompt

# rename the target to be less unwieldy
diskutil rename "OS X Base System" install_osx

# remove Packages symlink
rm /Volumes/install_osx/System/Installation/Packages

# copy Packages as folder
cp -a /tmp/install_esd/Packages /Volumes/install_osx/System/Installation

# copy BaseSystem.dmg
cp -a /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.dmg /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/install_osx

# unmount InstallESD.dmg
hdiutil detach /tmp/install_esd

# remove temporary directory
rmdir /tmp/install_esd

You are now ready to eject your USB device.

Please refer to the following thread for help.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...5-samsung-ativ-book-8-running-el-capitan.html

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.9 KB · Views: 467
hi,

I am having quite a big problem with my samsung laptop bios. I cannot make it to boot on USB.
I attached the bios pictures so you have an idea of my situation.
IMG_4803.JPG IMG_4804.JPG IMG_4805.JPG IMG_4806.JPG IMG_4807.JPG IMG_4808.JPG IMG_4809.JPG IMG_4810.JPG

I also installed EasyBCD, I thought this can help me boot to USB.
easyBCD scr.jpg

I hope you can help me install OS X on my samsung, I have been trying to do this for more than 2 months. I tried almost everything including following the video bloggers on youtube but no success.

I was able to make the bootable usb from your guide but that's it i am again stuck to that stage because my samsung cant boot on USB..

I will really appreciate your time and effort on this. thanks!

hi,

I am having quite a big problem with my samsung laptop bios. I cannot make it to boot on USB.
I attached the bios pictures so you have an idea of my situation.
View attachment 214070 View attachment 214071 View attachment 214072 View attachment 214073 View attachment 214074 View attachment 214075 View attachment 214076 View attachment 214077

I also installed EasyBCD, I thought this can help me boot to USB.
View attachment 214078

I hope you can help me install OS X on my samsung, I have been trying to do this for more than 2 months. I tried almost everything including following the video bloggers on youtube but no success.

I was able to make the bootable usb from your guide but that's it i am again stuck to that stage because my samsung cant boot on USB..

I will really appreciate your time and effort on this. thanks!

Use your BIOS hotkey to get the boot menu. Then select the USB specifically from that menu.

Use your BIOS hotkey to get the boot menu. Then select the USB specifically from that menu.
hi sir,
i have finally able to reach the clover boot menu. i just had a problem on choosing what partition i should install.
i made 2 extra partitions from my laptop before.. here is the partitions:
Partitions.jpg
i want to install the OSX on the 45Gb partition (planning to merge D: & H:).
what do i need to do? i know some partitions are essential for the system, which other partitions do i need to merge.

but in the clover i see these..

IMG_4817.JPG IMG_4819.JPG IMG_4820.JPG IMG_4821.JPG IMG_4822.JPG IMG_4823.JPG IMG_4824.JPG IMG_4825.JPG IMG_4826.JPG IMG_4827.JPG IMG_4828.JPG IMG_4829.JPG IMG_4831.JPG IMG_4832.JPG IMG_4833.JPG IMG_4834.JPG

whoah that was weird all photos are upside down lol

by the way, my concern with that is how do i know if im going to install it on the right drive and if i need to do some more to make the H: drive in EFI not in Legacy as shown in the attached photos. thanks!

by the way, my concern with that is how do i know if im going to install it on the right drive and if i need to do some more to make the H: drive in EFI not in Legacy as shown in the attached photos. thanks!

You should format the partition (HFS+J) in Disk Utility.

You should format the partition (HFS+J) in Disk Utility.
hi,
sorry, i was just to double click the first item on the clover which is the installer..
and so i was able to proceed further but i think i reached a dead end, and i have to download and make another installer?
is there something i missed during the process of making the bootable USB? do i have to obtain a pawned version etc etc?
i was able to format the target drive using the Disk Utility, now the drive is HFS+J.
again, sorry for the photos.. i tried to rotate them before uploading but still it ended up upside down.
IMG_4835.JPG IMG_4836.JPGIMG_4837.JPGIMG_4838.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4837.JPG
    IMG_4837.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 363
hi,
sorry, i was just to double click the first item on the clover which is the installer..
and so i was able to proceed further but i think i reached a dead end, and i have to download and make another installer?
is there something i missed during the process of making the bootable USB? do i have to obtain a pawned version etc etc?
i was able to format the target drive using the Disk Utility, now the drive is HFS+J.
again, sorry for the photos.. i tried to rotate them before uploading but still it ended up upside down.
View attachment 214163 View attachment 214165View attachment 214167View attachment 214168

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back