Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Repair macOS Catalina EFI partition when from Disk Utility it is not possible to complete First Aid on the disk on which that partition is located with the message "The partition map needs to be repaired because there is a problem with the EFI partition's file system (-69766) ".

Sometimes, after doing something on the EFI partition, when doing First Aid on that partition you get the error message "The partition map must be repaired because there is a problem with the file system of the EFI partition (-69766) ".

efi1.png

Apparently the system works fine like this but, if you want to correct this error, there is a simple and fast way: repair the EFI partition from Terminal. The commands to use are:

diskutil list> to find out the disk on which the EFI partition to be repaired is [example: /disk3].

diskutil unmountDisk disk3> to unmount the EFI partition.

sudo gpt remove -i 1 disk3> to delete the partition.

diskutil unmountDisk disk3> to unmount the EFI partition if it reappears on the Desktop..

sudo gpt add -b 40 -i 1 -s 409600 -t C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B disk3> to recreate the partition.

diskutil unmountDisk disk3> to unmount the EFI partition again if it appears mounted on the Desktop.

diskutil repairVolume disk3s1> to repair the EFI partition.

diskutil mountDisk disk3s1> to mount the partition and review its contents.

I've tried it several times and every time the First Aid error has disappeared and surprisingly the contents of the Clover EFI folder are still there.

efi2.png

Last edited:
Repair macOS Catalina EFI partition when from Disk Utility it is not possible to complete First Aid on the disk on which that partition is located with the message "The partition map needs to be repaired because there is a problem with the EFI partition's file system (-69766) ".

Sometimes, after doing something on the EFI partition (reinstalling Clover or modifying a file in the EFI / Clover folder) when doing Firs Aid function of Disk Utility on that partition you get the error message "The partition map must be repaired because there is a problem with the file system of the EFI partition (-69766) ".

View attachment 488685

Apparently the system works fine like this but, if you want to correct this error, there is a drastic option (reinstall macOS) and another simple and fast one: repair the EFI partition from Terminal.

The commands to use are:

sudo diskutil list> to find out the disk on which the EFI partition to be repaired is [example: / disk3].

diskutil unmountDisk / dev / disk3> to unmount the EFI partition.

sudo gpt remove -i 1 disk3> to delete the partition.

sudo gpt add -b 40 -i 1 -s 409600 -t C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B disk3> to recreate the partition.

diskutil unmountDisk / dev / disk3> to unmount the EFI partition again if it appears mounted on the Desktop.

diskutil repairVolume disk3s1> to repair the EFI partition.

sudo diskutil mountDisk / dev / disk3s1> to mount the partition and review its contents.

I've tried it several times and every time the First Aid error has disappeared and surprisingly the contents of the Clover EFI folder are still there.

View attachment 488686
you could also boot into recovery and in terminal:
Code:
diskutil repairDisk disk0

using diskutil repairDisk disk0 (or disk1 whatever) will get you a scary warning that doing this may erase volume s1 (which is where your EFI resides.)

if instead you use diskutil repairVolume disk0s1 (or whatever is correct) then you can repair just the EFI volume.

(Find the correct disk by looking at the results of
diskutil list
)

using diskutil repairDisk disk0 (or disk1 whatever) will get you a scary warning that doing this may erase volume s1 (which is where your EFI resides.)

if instead you use diskutil repairVolume disk0s1 (or whatever is correct) then you can repair just the EFI volume.

(Find the correct disk by looking at the results of
diskutil list
)
You are right :thumbup: but notice that in my post not only the EFI partition is repaired but it is deleted and recreated.

you could also boot into recovery and in terminal:
Code:
diskutil repairDisk disk0
Hello I'm Using BS 11.1

I tried this code
Code:
diskutil repairDisk disk5
and I get this error :
IMG_6348.jpg

My Disk is GPT formatted.
it's in Dusk Utility
capture 2021-01-02 à 10.13.59.png

When I'm using the code diskutil repairVolume disk5s1
I seems to me it does the same thing as "S.O.S. repair" on the container, but not on EFI partition.
Am I wrong ? is it different with BS ? Anyone has already tried this on BS disk ?

I'm gonna try Post #1 method and report
Thanks

Hello I'm Using BS 11.1

I tried this code
Code:
diskutil repairDisk disk5
and I get this error :
View attachment 503520
My Disk is GPT formatted.
it's in Dusk Utility
View attachment 503521

When I'm using the code diskutil repairVolume disk5s1
I seems to me it does the same thing as "S.O.S. repair" on the container, but not on EFI partition.
Am I wrong ? is it different with BS ? Anyone has already tried this on BS disk ?

I'm gonna try Post #1 method and report
Thanks
try repairing the correct disk

try repairing the correct disk
Thanks
I've just realised that
I was doing all the commands on disk5 witch is "synthesized".
I did it again on disk3 witch is "internal, physical" and it works
My bad
thanks again

Thanks
I've just realised that
I was doing all the commands on disk5 witch is "synthesized".
I did it again on disk3 witch is "internal, physical" and it works
My bad
thanks again
no worries bud :)

glad you got it sorted :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back