Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get an error (that flashes quickly, see image)
That isn't an error its console output from APFS.EFI
Looks like they have something to do with how High Sierra is installed.
Exactly
A little scared to remove them and break my install.
Correct they are part of the installation so you won't want to remove them
I am wondering if it is related to why this thread was started.
The issue in this thread is buggy firmware when using the fallback path for booting internal disks, it's unrelated.

I updated from Sierra 10.12.6 directly to 10.13.2 today. I decided, poorly it seems, to do the standard update and change the filesystem to the new APFS in HS.

During the reboot / install processes the reboot stalled on my Clover screen and offered me some boot options I didn't expect to see.

1. Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot
2. Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot
3. Boot macOS Install

I believe on a guess I chose #1 option which ran then rebooted and offered the CBM (Clover Boot Menu) back again with the same options. I then chose #3 and the install continued apparently normally to end the 10.13.2 update.

However returning to reboot continues to offer me four extra Clover boot options, with missing ICON definitions I assume, on the CBM.

I tried following the directions in post #1 of this thread and other bits of advice but I can't seem to get rid or correct the CBM.

I have attached photos of the options I seen in CBM

How do i fix this?

Attachments

• IMG_1711.JPG
    IMG_1711.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1710.JPG
    IMG_1710.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1709.JPG
    IMG_1709.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1708.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 183
I updated from Sierra 10.12.6 directly to 10.13.2 today. I decided, poorly it seems, to do the standard update and change the filesystem to the new APFS in HS.

During the reboot / install processes the reboot stalled on my Clover screen and offered me some boot options I didn't expect to see.

1. Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot
2. Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot
3. Boot macOS Install

I believe on a guess I chose #1 option which ran then rebooted and offered the CBM (Clover Boot Menu) back again with the same options. I then chose #3 and the install continued apparently normally to end the 10.13.2 update.

However returning to reboot continues to offer me four extra Clover boot options, with missing ICON definitions I assume, on the CBM.

I tried following the directions in post #1 of this thread and other bits of advice but I can't seem to get rid or correct the CBM.

I have attached photos of the options I seen in CBM

How do i fix this?
I have the same problem like you, have u solve it?

I have the same problem like you, have u solve it?

No I haven't solved it.

I was about to make a whole new thread on the question. This thread seems dead .....

Hello anyone out there that knows Clover - or should I move this question to insanelymac board?

tony

Suddenly my F11 for boot menu is corrupted and resetting the bios, flashing new bios and clearing cmos does nothing. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? It was previously working fine.

jpz4085, thanks for the link. The instructions did remove the 'extra' boot options from Clover. However my CBM now displays a weird icon for the Mac OS boot disk.

Where did that come from? How do I get Clover to correct the icon to be a standard boot icon?

I know I'm being anal asking this question. But we're like that here, right?

See the attached image below
CloverWeirdIcon.JPG

Design your system so that there is only one disk (an SSD if you like speed) that has an EFI partition that contains the Clover boot loader. Of course in OS X, all (I think) formatted drives will have an EFI partition, but you do not want two EFI partitions that contain ANY boot loader – that includes Clover, Chameleon, Chimera or whatever.

If you format a drive in macOS using Disk Utility (using the default GPT partitioning) it will indeed create an EFI partition. I use gdisk to delete the EFI partition on my non-boot drive(s). You can read instructions on how to accomplish this here (3rd answer).

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Been wracking my brain trying to get this to work but have hit a wall at this point. First, let me provide the info on my build:

Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 Motherboard
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (16GBx1) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin BLS2K16G4D240FSC (White)

(the other module as DOA. Getting it replaced)
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair CW-9060007-WW Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0, 6GB Graphics Card
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM)
Corsair RMx Series, RM650x, 650W, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified
Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive

The issue I’m having is as follows:
I’m not able to bypass/get rid of this screen:
View media item 190127
The previous install I had was working intermittently. However, apps were crashing. So I erased and reinstalled and started running into problems with Clover. No matter what I try as far as a bootable thumb drive, the above screen appears.

The drive I had originally installed macOS Sierra on was the Samsung SSD. I tried the steps listed on this thread (as seen in these screen shots):

View media item 190124View media item 190126View media item 190125
I've tried even booting from the thumb drive with the Unibeast thumb drive with just the 2TB hard drive connected (it doesn't have anything installed on it).

I've cleared the CMOS (received probs that it was reset) and changed the settings as per the guide.

And even after all of that, it still shows the Clover Boot Manager screen for some reason.

Any advice on how to resolve this so I can boot properly from the UniBeast thumb drive and install macOS Sierra would be greatly appreciated.
(the other drives listed in that last screen shot is just my card reader. It didn't cause any issues when the install initially worked).

Thank you in advance for your time and I look forward to your help.

A Sincerely Grateful Newb,

Rodney
=)

Help!

In order to solve a 'duplicated entries issue' with my clover boot screen,
I updated via Instant flash my mobo to the 2.5 version, but... I lost the Mac disk!
The duplicated entries, instead are still there :evil:.

Also, my Sierra USB key is not working using the usual 'boot from usb F11 method'.
(I will need a real MAc to create the USB!)

What I can to do to? There is a way to avoid an installation from scratch?
Clear Bios, to defaults, start with correct new setting for Sierra booting, make sure Mac drive is top of order in boot sequence. check to see if boot entry reapperars. If not disconnect all drives other than Mac drive and reboot. check again. If not possible Plist corruption, but since you cannot key to boot it is F12 not F11 to get to boot menu at bios level...... Check same with USB disconnect all other drives and attempt boot, to check machine's functionality after bios update, Suggestion: never use instant flash use bios flashing tool in UEFI bios screen with only a windows drive attached to do bios updates. Always use a clean flash drive with no other files to do bios updates, or you can have problems. Always download bios updates in windows not Mac side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back