Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
have you tried reinstalling clover? this usually fixes any issue of this type for me (after installing/reinstalling an os on another drive/removing unwanted boot entries/etc.).

I've mistakenly deleted all Devpath - HDD entries from the list generated by the "bcfg boot dump" command. I can manually choose my recently created CLOVER EFI partition boot entry in the BIOS and boot from it, but the BIOS won't automatically boot from that entry (despite it being #1 in the boot priority list).

I suspect that I need to re-add the legit HDD entry for the drive on which the CLOVER EFI boot partition resides? Then the BIOS will see it, then see the CLOVER EFI partition entry I created, then boot from it?

Any help is appreciated.

Clover configurator, in Boot section should have the option window for Last Booted Drive, or you can add the actual drive name with the EFI on it. Download Clover configurator. Open it and usually a pop up wil, ask mount EFI choose no. Then go to left tool bar and select mount EFI. Select the proper disk and mount. Close clover config app and on the desktop a EFI folder should appear. Open it and open clover folder. Right click on config.plist and choose open with clover configurator. Go to boot section and make changes.

If you don't see your EFI folder or SSD HDD go to Preferences next to Apple on top tool bar select system preference and select show hard drives. You may want to do this first and check that your drives are showing on desktop.

Clover configurator, in Boot section should have the option window for Last Booted Drive, or you can add the actual drive name with the EFI on it.

Thank you for your reply. I believe the issue is deeper than Clover or Clover Configurator? Because I use Clover Configurator and yes, the correct boot drive is already listed as the drive from which to boot.

have you tried reinstalling clover? this usually fixes any issue of this type for me (after installing/reinstalling an os on another drive/removing unwanted boot entries/etc.).

So, what happens when I reinstall Clover? I don't want to mess up any of my post install optimization (any more than I already have).

It is not supposed to be a problem, but I have had two machines go belly up just recently, during the upgrade process from 10.12.5 to 10.12.6, upgrading clover from clover config, then downloading GIT, then installing Clover Theme Manager (WHEN YOU UPGRADE CLOVER, if you are using the TonyMac Theme it will be deleted, and the default Clover bootup theme will be what appears which looks like it was designed by a 2 year old) to get the them back you must use Multbeast or the Theme Manager with Git installed. One machine looks like the Plist is messed as Video using the Nvidia web driver still is glitchy but it says it is installed and Video card a 900 series is not recognized properly it will probably take clean reinstall. The second will not boot at all now & both machines a dual boot I7s one Skylake and one Haswell. Windows side works perfectly on both. I will probably be posting verbose screen for non-booting machine as it is my current work machine. Maybe i=I will find out it is a different offender, in any case running the latest version of Sierra requires a relatively new version of Clover far newer than what is in Multibeast to run properly. I guess if you stay away from Themes maybe there will be no issues. Note there is a proper procedure for installing from Clover Config. it must be followed. It may not be completely intuitive.

Wow, this is just ridiculous. Not only can't I boot to Windows anymore, I can't even do the fix in the EFI shell that comes with Clover because if I type more than three or four letters, the cursor wraps back to the beginning of the line and overwrites what I just typed... And it's not my keyboard. My keyboard works just fine. No stuck keys. Not going to touch Clover for a very long time... Did no one test this?

UEFI can handle multiple OS's and EFI boot devices without this happening. The spec requires each OS to provide their own efi boot loader for that OS. UEFI scans the available storage devices and gives a list of available boot loaders. Clover is definitely doing something it shouldn't.

Did anyone solve the problem about being unable to type the commands in the UEFI shell? We're having the same problem! I see people complaining about it and I've read many pages in this forum, but I don't see where anyone has solved it.

I've been keeping an eye on this a while and am still working on a fix--

I'm multibooting Windows, Ubuntu, and Sierra. (Separate hard drives; all UEFI, currently using clover to boot all three but still have the other two bootloaders, which I am glad for since when I renamed my clover BOOT folder to LOADER and swapped the path in easy UEFI clover stopped working. Popped the clover drive in and reinstalled it)

Has anyone seen osx constantly shuffle the lineup of the drives? I use EFImount and every so often it renames the disk numbers. Since two other drives have EFI partitions it picks them up as well. I intend on using clover to boot but hesitate to delete the other loaders in case i run into an issue, on top of having to frequently delete duplicate boot entries.

Turns out it was our keyboard. The keyboard works fine any other time, but just won't work for this, oddly.

Turns out it was our keyboard. The keyboard works fine any other time, but just won't work for this, oddly.

Just out of curiosity, what tyype of KB? BT, USB, Logitech Unified wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back