Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
EasyUEFI can add entries from the Windows side. You can boot from Windows independently of Clover and install Easy UEFI as a trial and add the entry you lost. Someone else will have to answer how to do this from Clover.

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, booting up Windows is what has me a bit stumped. I currently can't boot into Windows at all, because it simply isn't a boot option in BIOS. I had everything working fine before I did the OPs method (except for Clover constantly creating new boot options, of course).

EDIT: Went ahead and reinstalled Win 10 and that solved the Windows problem. Just some cleaning up now.

Last edited:
Hi, I have so many options on the boot manager. I don´t know where they come from and what I can delete and how.

From Left to right it´s:

1. Boot Windows from Legacy HD1
2. Boot Windows from EFI
3. Boot Windows from Legacy HD4
4. Boot Windows from Legacy HD2
5. Boot Microsoft EFI boot from EFI
6. Boot MacOs from Sierra
7. Boot Recovery from Recovery HD

I have 2 SSD and 2 HDD Splittet up for OSx and Windows.

Would be nice if someone can help me figuring this out.

Thanks!

Hi Twaan. You don't specify which ones you'd like to delete, but I would think you want to get rid of the legacy ones and only use the EFIs. This you can do by just unticking 'Legacy' entries in Clover under the GUI category and saving. Obviously mount your OS X EFI and point Clover to your config.plist while doing this.

I had the exact same two Windows EFI entries after I re-installed Windows, which was annoying (I can be a bit OCD). First see which one works or which one you want to use. Then in the clover boot screen press space on both options and make a note of which "bootmgfw" they point to. Note down the one you don't want to keep. Boot into OS X and mount your OS X EFI volume. Then go into EFI/Microsoft/boot and remove the offending file from the folder. That option will now not show up in the Clover boot screen.

I now have "Boot Windows from EFI", "Boot Mac OS Sierra from EFI" and Boot Recovery from Recovery HD". Nice and neat - OCD appeased.... :)

Side note: on my Windows 10 I also had the issue of having two iterations in Windows after reinstalling (Boot windows from volume 2). Solved this by opening msconfig.exe and deleting the "other" Windows 10 iteration from under "Boot".

I'm not an expert on Clover, but I'm questioning whether the NVRAM emulation in clover, is being activated by many people posting on this topic, and that NVRAM "emulation" could potentially be causing the problems(??). Most of the newer EFI BIOS based machines, that we purchase these days probably have NVRAM (proper, not in the older CMOS memory sense).

Thus, I question, if you activate the Clover NVRAM emulation (with scripts that save/restore to HDD/SDD), that now you have an NVRAM (emulated by Clover) which follows the SDD/HDD which is booted...could this potentially being confusing the BIOS code of the machine? ...which NVRAM is being "always" used? Is it the "NVRAM" of the machine at Power On? ...Then the "NVRAM" of the Clover EFI partition? ...Which "NVRAM" is the master? and if there is some "Handoff" of NVRAM service when/what is the timing of that during boot? ...I suppose the ultimate question is "Could their be some Collision" of logic occurring between the Machines BIOS and the Clover Bootloader's emulated NVRAM?

I think most of us whom have worked with PC's for 30+ years, know that the code in PC's BIOS are really more of an "art" than a "precise" engineered spec or standard. Collisions in logic have certainly abounded over the years.

I would be very interested in knowing how many people still experience this problem, when they have INSURED that all Clover HDD/SDD have fully disabled this NVRAM emulation capability. (Is it in fact this emulation capability that is confusing our machines's BIOS...when it expects for it's own HW NVRAM to be the ONLY persistent storage involved in the EFI code/logic??)

Any educated speculation or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert on Clover, but I'm questioning whether the NVRAM emulation in clover, is being activated by many people posting on this topic, and that NVRAM "emulation" could potentially be causing the problems(??). Most of the newer EFI BIOS based machines, that we purchase these days probably have NVRAM (proper, not in the older CMOS memory sense).

Thus, I question, if you activate the Clover NVRAM emulation (with scripts that save/restore to HDD/SDD), that now you have an NVRAM (emulated by Clover) which follows the SDD/HDD which is booted...could this potentially being confusing the BIOS code of the machine? ...which NVRAM is being "always" used? Is it the "NVRAM" of the machine at Power On? ...Then the "NVRAM" of the Clover EFI partition? ...Which "NVRAM" is the master? and if there is some "Handoff" of NVRAM service when/what is the timing of that during boot? ...I suppose the ultimate question is "Could their be some Collision" of logic occurring between the Machines BIOS and the Clover Bootloader's emulated NVRAM?

I think most of us whom have worked with PC's for 30+ years, know that the code in PC's BIOS are really more of an "art" than a "precise" engineered spec or standard. Collisions in logic have certainly abounded over the years.

I would be very interested in knowing how many people still experience this problem, when they have INSURED that all Clover HDD/SDD have fully disabled this NVRAM emulation capability. (Is it in fact this emulation capability that is confusing our machines's BIOS...when it expects for it's own HW NVRAM to be the ONLY persistent storage involved in the EFI code/logic??)

Any educated speculation or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Rehabman or Stork should be able to answer these questions off the Tops of the Heads. Notttt...
Nobody seems to have the definitive answer to why Clover causes this problem, and it definitely does not occur on the Windows side at all. i.e. [no Mac OS and Clover] in the mix.

thank you Anachronaut! worked a charm.

Rehabman or Stork should be able to answer these questions off the Tops of the Heads. Notttt...
Nobody seems to have the definitive answer to why Clover causes this problem, and it definitely does not occur on the Windows side at all. i.e. [no Mac OS and Clover] in the mix.

My woes with multiple SSDs with clover/macOS installed "magically" disappeared after I upgraded (flashed) my Sabertooth X79 Mobo's BIOS by about 6 revisions to the lastest version available. I haven't seen any of the problems that were causing me grief before (when I made the post speculating...wildly).

Thus, I'm going to chalk this up to my flashing of the Sabertooth X79 BIOS up to rev 4801 made the machine MUCH more stable, for the support of multiple drives (SSDs) with clover/macOS.

THIS WORKS (If you have Windows installed as well on a different drive):
In OSX:
1. Use EFI Mounter (download from Tonymacx86 downloads section) utility to open EFI and go to the BOOT folder.
2. Rename BOOT folder to LAUNCHER
3. Reboot to Windows
In Windows:
1. Download and use EasyUEFI utility to delete any extra boot options.
2. Use EasyUEFI to add a new boot entry, select other OS, name it what you want (I just called it El Capitan) so you can identify it when you boot, and click Browse and go through the file directory \EFI\LAUNCHER\BOOTX64.efi
3. Done

Reboot to OSX then restart several times and make sure you aren't getting extra boot options

This literally broke my setup :(

Now I can no longer boot into OSX.

Hello Guys, recently I had an issue with my Hackpro (EL Capitan) and couldn't start up, there was light in the motherboard but system not initiating. After research I started up replacing the internal battery and machine boot up nicely but just the BIOS config had two changes from my latest settings:

1. Boot Drive, which I changed to the HDD with the OS
2. Boot System, was booting in Windows OS Type mode and I had to changed it to Other OS

So I save bios changes, restarted and everything was back to how it was before... perfect!!

Next day I started the machine up to do some work and instead of seen the clover I landed in the BIOS interface again... why?? well, after checking again all the relevant parameters I noticed that the Boot System was switched to Windows Mode again and now the BIOS doesn't keep the booting type to Other OS no matter how many times I change it and save it.

Is there anyone having similar trouble? How can I keep the BIOS configured to boot in Other OS type mode?

Thanks in advanced guys :thumbup:

Hello Guys, recently I had an issue with my Hackpro (EL Capitan) and couldn't start up, there was light in the motherboard but system not initiating. After research I started up replacing the internal battery and machine boot up nicely but just the BIOS config had two changes from my latest settings:

1. Boot Drive, which I changed to the HDD with the OS
2. Boot System, was booting in Windows OS Type mode and I had to changed it to Other OS

So I save bios changes, restarted and everything was back to how it was before... perfect!!

Next day I started the machine up to do some work and instead of seen the clover I landed in the BIOS interface again... why?? well, after checking again all the relevant parameters I noticed that the Boot System was switched to Windows Mode again and now the BIOS doesn't keep the booting type to Other OS no matter how many times I change it and save it.

Is there anyone having similar trouble? How can I keep the BIOS configured to boot in Other OS type mode?

Thanks in advanced guys :thumbup:

Do you have Clover configurator? If you open it, usually the option "Mount EFI" comes up, select no. Then go to left side tool bar as in pic.

Mount EFI.png

The EFI folder will appear on desktop open it and then open clover folder. Right click on config.plist and select open with Clover configurator. Go to Boot section and you can add or delete drives and boot priorities, see pic. Default is usually last booted volume so if you Shut do9wn using windows the next boot will go directly to windows unless you specify the drive you want to always use a s a primary boot for example the drive that has your clover efI on it. That way the system always shows you the clover boot screen and you can select the drive you want.

Last Booted volume.png

Last edited:
I've mistakenly deleted all Devpath - HDD entries from the list generated by the "bcfg boot dump" command. I can manually choose my recently created CLOVER EFI partition boot entry in the BIOS and boot from it, but the BIOS won't automatically boot from that entry (despite it being #1 in the boot priority list).

I suspect that I need to re-add the legit HDD entry for the drive on which the CLOVER EFI boot partition resides? Then the BIOS will see it, then see the CLOVER EFI partition entry I created, then boot from it?

Any help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back