Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I struggled with this problem for a few days and found these instructions above to be the perfect, easiest solution to the multiple BIOS entries problem.

If you have a board with Thunderbolt capabilities like mine; Z170X-UD5 TH then you already need to have a Windows hard drive ready in order to get the Thunderbolt / USB 3.1 ports activated by downloading and installing the Gigabyte Thunderbolt drivers for Windows. You don't need to do this for Thunderbolt v1 but for v2, v3 or USB 3.1 you do.

The instructions above absolutely work, however by renaming the Boot folder I suspect you might have to rename it back to Boot if you do any Clover or OS X upgrades as I found that unsuccessfully using other techniques to solve the multiple entries issue and deleting or renaming the folder without updating the bootx64.efi folder created a no-boot situation.

I did all of these tests with a cloned copy of my good Sierra install, therefore I was able to recover when I made this type of mistake. With a working gold version you can boot to it with the clone as an extra non-boot drive, call up the EFI partition and correct the renaming of the Boot folder quite easily if necessary.

You can also access the EFI partition from Windows if needed. Instructions here: http://superuser.com/questions/6628...-windows-8-1-so-that-it-is-readable-and-write

Is ANYBODY using an internal drive as a Time Machine backup of the boot partition? If so, are you still experiencing multiple boot entries after having followed the steps here to fix the problem? IOW, after fixing the issue, is it OK to use an internal drive as a Time Machine target for backing up the OSX partition?

Is ANYBODY using an internal drive as a Time Machine backup of the boot partition? If so, are you still experiencing multiple boot entries after having followed the steps here to fix the problem? IOW, after fixing the issue, is it OK to use an internal drive as a Time Machine target for backing up the OSX partition?
My Time Machine backup is on an external drive

The clue for me was USBstick with Windows10 to remove EFI disk installation (just a the partion install i remove them) and reboot without installing
For multiple entry in bios for my NVMe disk
flash F20 bios for my Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH

Hi,

When all drives are disconnected I get 4 boot options in the bios:

IMG_1698.JPG

When I boot with a USB stick and get Clover to tell me , I get two volumes : the USB stick and the DVD. Nothing else.
IMG_1695.JPG

I have the feeling that those Mac OS X etc are messing up my booting process.
Clover has a hard time getting to the mac. Sometimes it works, sometimes it has to go through the USB Stick : it's messy and unstable.
I thought I could get rid of those extra options the way you described, but obviously not.

What would be the next step ?

Bios update ?

Right. That would be a last option for me as I'm not that confortable with PCs.

However, I investigated a bit further as I also have a problem with booting a legacy windows on a separate drive.
So I plugged back my two drives (one SSD for Sierra) and a regular HD (for windows). The boot sequence after I enter setup in the Bios is :
1) UEFI OS P4 Samsung SSD
2) P4 samsung SSD
3) P0 DRW
4) P5 WDC... HD with windows
5) Mac OS X
6) Mac OS X

This sequence works to start Sierra.
This sequence has a different order than the one displaying the boot options (which would be : 3, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3)

I ran the Clover UEFI shell. The result of the boot dump is :

IMG_1700.JPG

And I find my two MAC OS X ghosts ! (does it mean that they're somehow related to one or the other of the physical drives ?)

Could someone please reassure me that I can safely remove those last 2 entries (04 and 05 that correspond with 5th and 6th in the boot sequence) and that have a devPath as PciRoot ?

Thank you.

I did it. Removes the MC OS X ghosts.
And now Clover is so much faster !!!!

Thank you for those very clear explanations.

Just one thing : booting with only the USB and with the drives unplugged didn't show the 'ghosts'. I had to have the drives plugged.

That really helps my machine !!!!

My board is GA-H170-WIFI.

Upgrade the bios to F20 and now show correct boot entries (no more ghosts!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back