Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I'll post a new thread. Thanks for reading!

Mine was fine I flashed f20 then went backwards with no problem? I tried all of them in reverse order infact

Mine was fine I flashed f20 then went backwards with no problem? I tried all of them in reverse order infact
I'll set up my Skylake computer and try to take a good picture of the error message... stay tuned.

[Edit: OK, here it is (attached). There is a quick pre-flash of another window just before this happens.]

q-flash_error_msg.jpg

Last edited:
I think the Windows UEFI solution is so far the only one that I've found completely eliminates future boot entries in BIOS.
It does require having a Windows 8, or 10 installed HD or SSD disk around, but it's fairly easy to follow the guide I've quoted from earlier - thread #121. It's my experience that just deleting the entries in Clover EFI Shell does nothing to prevent them from reappearing. Others in this long thread report success just using the bcfg boot dump method and edits to the config.plist, but none of those methods held permanent fixes for me.

The Windows EasyUEFI method does however seem to create one problem which I'm still struggling to remedy which is that once you rename your BOOT folder in the EFI partition to LAUNCHER and save it in Windows EasyUEFI as a new boot option, then the cloned drives (backup drives) won't boot any longer, even when you change the priority in BIOS to their partition, they just don't boot any longer. So I'm not sure what gets written to where in the Windows scenario, but it does affect the ability to boot from a different boot drive - at least in my experience. I've tried copying the EFI from the hero boot drive to the EFI of a clone, and copied the original BOOT folder (which I did save before doing the UEFI routine) where the BOOT folder is an original - but nothing so far allows the cloned backups to boot completely, they hang on the progress bar below the Apple logo. This happens even when I have done the Windows UEFI routine on a boot drive - it boots immediately afterwards, but then won't boot once I do it to another drive, as in working with a clone to make sure it works prior to doing the routine on your hero (permanent) drive - even after changing the default boot #1 option in BIOS to it. Still stumped by this, but perhaps someone will chime in with a solution of sorts.

If having a bootable backup is not an issue, then the Windows UEFI is the best permanent solution that I've gotten to work to keep multiple BIOS entries from appearing.

Hello. Thanks for that. :)

Yes, it is a mysterious system really. In the CLOVER/doc folder is some useful information on bcfg and UEFI which seems to be saying that the *.efi file and its location in the CLOVER folder is what gets booted. So I'm guessing using the Windows software to move it and edit the boot options confuses the stored backups.

As for the boot entries being stored in NVRam - I'm not so certain any more.

Typing :

Code:
sudo nvram -x -p

... lists info about the system CSR, the bluetooth and some other items but nothing, apparently, about boot configs.

That info has to be stored somewhere the BIOS can see it.

Still confused at this end!o_O

I'll set up my Skylake computer and try to take a good picture of the error message... stay tuned.

[Edit: OK, here it is (attached). There is a quick pre-flash of another window just before this happens.]

Okay, my F20e was a beta bios and maybe that is why I was allowed to go back and forth? That's all I can think of right now. Hopefully the DOS thing will work for you

OK, so if/when the BIOS entry issue is fixed by a user...

Can that user then use Time Machine to back up to a LOCAL drive without fear of accumulated false boot entries?

In other words, when the problem is fixed as directed here, is the system "normal" with respect to Time Machine backups of the boot drive, or are those to be avoided still?

THIS WORKS (If you have Windows installed as well on a different drive):
In OSX:
1. Use EFI Mounter (download from Tonymacx86 downloads section) utility to open EFI and go to the BOOT folder.
2. Rename BOOT folder to LAUNCHER
3. Reboot to Windows
In Windows:
1. Download and use EasyUEFI utility to delete any extra boot options.
2. Use EasyUEFI to add a new boot entry, select other OS, name it what you want (I just called it El Capitan) so you can identify it when you boot, and click Browse and go through the file directory \EFI\LAUNCHER\BOOTX64.efi
3. Done

Reboot to OSX then restart several times and make sure you aren't getting extra boot options
Have you had any more problems with booting? I noticed that my drive is showing more usage even though I have not put anything in it. It's showing something like 48GB used for OS but it's also showing I have almost 100GB free from a 128GB drive. I find that strange. Thanks.

THIS WORKS (If you have Windows installed as well on a different drive):
In OSX:
1. Use EFI Mounter (download from Tonymacx86 downloads section) utility to open EFI and go to the BOOT folder.
2. Rename BOOT folder to LAUNCHER
3. Reboot to Windows
In Windows:
1. Download and use EasyUEFI utility to delete any extra boot options.
2. Use EasyUEFI to add a new boot entry, select other OS, name it what you want (I just called it El Capitan) so you can identify it when you boot, and click Browse and go through the file directory \EFI\LAUNCHER\BOOTX64.efi
3. Done

Reboot to OSX then restart several times and make sure you aren't getting extra boot options

Worked perfectly for me. Thanks tbjem0013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back