Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I found this thread. I was up to 45 entries for my NVMe boot drive. It was lagging the bios, and also meant I couldn't press f12 to pick a boot device. The screen would just go blank instead. Crazy. I have deleted entries but not done the manual entry and renamed /boot yet. My build is a daw for the studio so I may try that tomorrow after my session.

My mobo: ga-z170x ultra gaming
I didn't have to do any of the manual entry stuff or rename /boot. I just flashed the bios and I was instant down to one boot drive with 2 partitions. And it stayed that way.

jginvc--You said that you network card keeps going down. Is that a new problem after you flashed your BIOS or an issue that you had before?

Jim
As far as I know it has always been there. But because of the boot problem, the machine wasn't up for long enough for me to be able to tell. I was trying to set up a BOOTCAMP install of windows and every time I went to reboot it would not come up any more and then it wouldn't see the USB drive. Problem after problem. So I focused figuring out this BIOS thing and after that seemed to straighten out I tried transferring my old computer over as a virtual machine (using parallels) and it kept failing. I broke down and decided to use a USB hard drive to handle the transfer so while my windows machine was getting transferred to the USB drive I had time to actually use the Hackintosh and that's when I noticed my network connection kept going away. From what I've been reading on this forum it is a problem people have been having for years with this TL-WDN4800 card that is recommended in the buyer lists. I did notice today that if I run Pandora streaming it seems to stay up much longer. So maybe it is an activity thing?

Just flashed my bios, and while the entries are gone, my sierra is now a mess. I can't get my nVIDIA drivers to take at all. I've tried all the clover flags on and off, but every time the tray says OS X Default Graphics Driver. I've also got this funny thing in the taskbar at the top now:

Has anyone seen that before?I have no idea what card it's on about. I do have a card reader in my USB hub but it's been there for a while and I've never seen anytthing like that.

Does flashing bios affect nvram perhaps?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 11.36.33.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 11.36.33.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 111
Just flashed my bios, and while the entries are gone, my sierra is now a mess. I can't get my nVIDIA drivers to take at all. I've tried all the clover flags on and off, but every time the tray says OS X Default Graphics Driver. I've also got this funny thing in the taskbar at the top now:

Has anyone seen that before?I have no idea what card it's on about. I do have a card reader in my USB hub but it's been there for a while and I've never seen anytthing like that.

Does flashing bios affect nvram perhaps?
When you flash your BIOS all of the CMOS settings are set to default (not optimised defaults even).
You must remake all of the BIOS setting changes that you made when you initially installed the OS.

I understand that, and have been into the BIOS and reset everything. My graphics are set to PCIe and not intergrated. Nothing is working. It's looking like I'll have to recover to the factory bios, because this is unworkable. Flickering screen, strange USB? stuff in the taskbar.

I have tried nv_drv=1, and without
also the new sirerra method of NvidiaWeb=1 with and without, and all possible combos of them. I also reinstalled the drivers.

When you flash your BIOS all of the CMOS settings are set to default (not optimised defaults even).
You must remake all of the BIOS setting changes that you made when you initially installed the OS.

Hey,
Just to let anyone else know, I flashed back to the original bios and now my machine boots great with perfect graphics and no strange USB thing in the top bar. This was F20e, I'm back on the F2 bios and it's great. Apart from the extra clover entries. So be warned if you're on a GTX 750ti, you might not be happy. I'm also on iMac 17,1 with the graphics patch to fix the 5k retina thing.

I'm going to try F5d bios next and see what happens re: clover entries and graphics.

Yep F5d is the sweet spot for me. No more multiple entries, graphics all working as they should. No USB icon in the top right tray. YMMV but for me, it's spot on now.

Last edited:
Hey,
Just to let anyone else know, I flashed back to the original bios and now my machine boots great with perfect graphics and no strange USB thing in the top bar. This was F20e, I'm back on the F2 bios and it's great. Apart from the extra clover entries. So be warned if you're on a GTX 750ti, you might not be happy. I'm also on iMac 17,1 with the graphics patch to fix the 5k retina thing.

I'm going to try F5d bios next and see what happens re: clover entries and graphics.

Yep F5d is the sweet spot for me. No more multiple entries, graphics all working as they should. No USB icon in the top right tray. YMMV but for me, it's spot on now.

Your information is very helpful. I was about to flash my Bios to F20e to solve the problem of extra boot entries and then upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra. I have a GTX 960. Based on your experience it looks like I should start with F5d Bios. Any other tips?

Thanks--Jim

Last edited:
Your information is very helpful. I was about to flash my Bios to F20e to solve the problem of extra boot entries and then upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra. I have a GTX 960. Based on your experience it looks like I should start with F5d Bios. Any other tips?

Thanks--Jim

Not really! One thing to watch out for is if you use iMac 17,1 SMBIOS (best for skylake), you need to boot with nv_disable=1 and run this:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-imac-15-or-imac-17-system-definition.183113/

and then nvidia graphics should work as expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back