Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running GA-H170N-WIFI, Skylake i7-6700 CPU. Pics below show progressive increases in boot "options, most of which are fake. Top pic is immediately after re-flash of Gigatbyte AMI UEFI "BIOS" version F4. Next is after 4 reboots. Last is after 6 reboots. The top picture is correct, or at least reasonable. I have two Samsung 850 EVO SSDs, on P0 and P1 ports, plus an optical drive on P4.
After BIOS Reflash.JPG
After 4 reboots.JPG
After 6 reboots.JPG

THIS WORKS (If you have Windows installed as well on a different drive):
In OSX:
1. Use EFI Mounter (download from Tonymacx86 downloads section) utility to open EFI and go to the BOOT folder.
2. Rename BOOT folder to LAUNCHER
3. Reboot to Windows
In Windows:
1. Download and use EasyUEFI utility to delete any extra boot options.
2. Use EasyUEFI to add a new boot entry, select other OS, name it what you want (I just called it El Capitan) so you can identify it when you boot, and click Browse and go through the file directory \EFI\LAUNCHER\BOOTX64.efi
3. Done

Reboot to OSX then restart several times and make sure you aren't getting extra boot options

This works perfectly. Win 10 on NVMe drive with windows EFI partition, OSX on other SSD with mac EFI partition that has clover. Renamed, no longer adds extra entries! THANK YOU!

After removing bogus entries, is there a way to prevent it from continuing to happen? This method worked great for me for getting rid of them, but more bogus entries appear after I reboot.

I have solved the problem of multiple entries, but now clover, does not start Sierra automatically.
I have no more timeout, so i have to select manually the icon of mac os and press Enter.
Any help?
Thanks!

Last edited:
@pit512 did updating your bios reset defaults or did it keep all that you had changed?

Everything is resetted so take note of each settings...
I was having this same problem. I have a Z170X-UD5 and a 1TB SSD and 2 4TB HDD. I flashed the motherboard with the latest available and all these problems went away. Boots every time.

I was having this same problem. I have a Z170X-UD5 and a 1TB SSD and 2 4TB HDD. I flashed the motherboard with the latest available and all these problems went away. Boots every time.

jginvc--I want to make sure I am understanding correctly: Did you flash your BIOS to f20e? When you say "all these problems went away" are you saying that you no longer have any extra UEFI boot entries after you reboot/restart?

Thank you, Jim

jginvc--I want to make sure I am understanding correctly: Did you flash your BIOS to f20e? When you say "all these problems went away" are you saying that you no longer have any extra UEFI boot entries after you reboot/restart?

Thank you, Jim
Yes, that is correct. Looks like the Bios treats these extra boot entries differently and the default is such that it disables them. So I no longer have any extra UEFI boot entries after I reboot. It works great now. Except for the fact that my network card keeps going down.

Glad I found this thread. I was up to 45 entries for my NVMe boot drive. It was lagging the bios, and also meant I couldn't press f12 to pick a boot device. The screen would just go blank instead. Crazy. I have deleted entries but not done the manual entry and renamed /boot yet. My build is a daw for the studio so I may try that tomorrow after my session.

My mobo: ga-z170x ultra gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back