Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say you, umm, delete the wrong boot entries and can now only boot into OS X with the USB boot drive installed…

How would you go about fixing that?

Jumping the gun here a bit, but here's my plan:
  1. use the USB drive to boot into OS X
  2. back up the existing/corrupt EFI partition using dd
  3. format that partition
  4. use the Clover installer to re-install Clover to the now-empty EFI partition
  5. modify the fresh EFI files according to the build instructions
How does that sound?

Last edited:
thank you so much:)

The following takes place in the clover console from the Clover boot menu.

Once I deleted all the PCIRoot entries using "bcfg boot rm XX" I was left with 3 entries.

To determine which entry to use I typed the following at the "Shell>" prompt:
map
Which prints out the mapping table. The mapping table has entries that are labeled "FS0" and "FS1", etc. To see where the mappings are pointed you can use the "vol" command such as:
vol fs0
Which output:
Volume EFI (rw)
xxxx bytes total disk space
xxx bytes available on disk
512 bytes in each allocation unit
The first line indicates that "fs0" points to the EFI boot volume where the change needs to take place.

Now run "bcfg boot dump" to see what number the new entry will be. My output had Options 01, 02, and 03 listed (taken) so my "add" command below will use 04.

So now I know which entry to use in the "bcfg add" command mentioned in the solution.
bcfg boot add 04 FS0:\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI CloverBoot
Then I removed the old entry pointing at boot EFI on my SSD (not the one on my USB boot drive)
bcfg boot rm XX
Where XX is the option number from your bcfg boot dump that points to your boot.efi. Reboot and rename your OSX drive and mount the EFI partition and rename EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI to BOOT.BAK

Thanks fishsticks, worked for me!

I'm trying to add the following part "bcfg boot add 04 FS0:\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI CloverBoot"

! in Clover UEFI shell, the cursor jumps back to the beginning when i hit the shift key...
Caps lock works, but i cannot type the : without the shift key...

I tried 2 different keyboards, will try another one

EDIT: I worked around it by typing the : as first, and then add the part in front and back with the cursor, using caps lock

EDIT2: (for noobs like me, if FS0, the 0 is "zero"... )

EDIT3: SUCCES ! many thanks all of you

Last edited:
Finally thank you. Furthermore there is no need to:

* Edit any configuration or settings in the clover tool or boot menus.
* Place the new '\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI' clover boot option in any specific positional or order in the UEFI boot menu.

The new clover boot entry can be created from windows, using the GUI tool 'EasyUEFI'. It is actually easier that way. Just except for renaming the folder '/EFI/BOOT' --> '/EFI/BOOT.disabled'. Which can be done as you say in Mac OS X, after mounting the disk's /EFI partition. Or just as easily in linux by mounting that /EFI partition on the cmdline.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I just want to make sure I do this right.
The plan:
In Windows:
1. Use EasyUEFI to delete EXTRA boot options
2. Use EasyUEFI to edit and change the REAL boot option's file path to \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI
3. Reboot into El Capitan.
In El Capitan:
4. Mount EFI
5. Rename BOOT folder to BOOT.disabled

Is this correct?

Hi there. Well if its a gigabyte z170, then the best solution is written here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/tickets/226/#d1a9/0222/8cc1

(Nevermind what anybody else says for the other manufacturers / generations). That is the simplest way for ga-z170* series mobos. Then they won't come back. It is not very much work (can all be done in 1 evening).

Thanks for the information. Has anyone tried this on a Gigabyte H170N MB? I'm running a wifi version.

To complicate matters I'm also running a AMD R9 380X. In everyday boot, the bios is set to use integrated graphics but the monitor is connected via DisplayPort to the R9 to get around the black screen issue for the R9. So, I get a black screen on boot until Mac OS is fully booted. To "see" the bios and Clover screens I have to disconnect power to the R9 and connect the monitor to the MB's HDMI port and boot. I do this about once a week so I can use EFI shell to remove the extra entries. A permanent fix so I can avoid the hassles would be welcome.

I hesitate changing anything at this point since everything once the system is visible on the desktop works great.

Thanks for the information. Has anyone tried this on a Gigabyte H170N MB? I'm running a wifi version.

To complicate matters I'm also running a AMD R9 380X. In everyday boot, the bios is set to use integrated graphics but the monitor is connected via DisplayPort to the R9 to get around the black screen issue for the R9. So, I get a black screen on boot until Mac OS is fully booted. To "see" the bios and Clover screens I have to disconnect power to the R9 and connect the monitor to the MB's HDMI port and boot. I do this about once a week so I can use EFI shell to remove the extra entries. A permanent fix so I can avoid the hassles would be welcome.

I hesitate changing anything at this point since everything once the system is visible on the desktop works great.
Do a "bcfg boot dump" to check if you have an entry to EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi. If you do have it, then boot Mac OS, mount the EFI partition and rename the "BOOT" folder to something like "BOOT.bak". Done! You won't have bogus entries anymore.

Do a "bcfg boot dump" to check if you have an entry to EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi. If you do have it, then boot Mac OS, mount the EFI partition and rename the "BOOT" folder to something like "BOOT.bak". Done! You won't have bogus entries anymore.

Thanks for the tip. I read about that a week or two ago and tried it. Afterwards, I got a black screen when booting and had to put the drive in an enclosure so I could change it back to "Boot." After reverting, it would boot just fine.

Hi,

could you please tell me what should i modify in my config file to automatically boot from Macintosh HD partition? Currently i have to hit an enter to start the boot process.

<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>dart=0</string>
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>Macintosh HD</string>
<key>Legacy</key>
<string>PBR</string>
<key>Secure</key>
<false/>
<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>3</integer>
<key>XMPDetection</key>
<false/>
</dict>

THIS WORKS (If you have Windows installed as well on a different drive):
In OSX:
1. Use EFI Mounter (download from Tonymacx86 downloads section) utility to open EFI and go to the BOOT folder.
2. Rename BOOT folder to LAUNCHER
3. Reboot to Windows
In Windows:
1. Download and use EasyUEFI utility to delete any extra boot options.
2. Use EasyUEFI to add a new boot entry, select other OS, name it what you want (I just called it El Capitan) so you can identify it when you boot, and click Browse and go through the file directory \EFI\LAUNCHER\BOOTX64.efi
3. Done

Reboot to OSX then restart several times and make sure you aren't getting extra boot options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back