Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this is just ridiculous. Not only can't I boot to Windows anymore, I can't even do the fix in the EFI shell that comes with Clover because if I type more than three or four letters, the cursor wraps back to the beginning of the line and overwrites what I just typed... And it's not my keyboard. My keyboard works just fine. No stuck keys. Not going to touch Clover for a very long time... Did no one test this?

UEFI can handle multiple OS's and EFI boot devices without this happening. The spec requires each OS to provide their own efi boot loader for that OS. UEFI scans the available storage devices and gives a list of available boot loaders. Clover is definitely doing something it shouldn't.

You seem to know a lot more than I do about this situation. Perhaps you should try to discuss/request a change by communicating with Slice and the other Clover developers here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/page-1

Or, if you are a developer, you could get involved in the project. We would all benefit if a solution could be found to this problem.

This problem happens because we set wrong boot entries in Clover. As mentioned on the several posts in this thread, we can fix it to tell Clover the proper entry paths. So, I think blaming Clover itself is a bit nonsense.

I guess we installed Clover on our systems with MultiBeast in the wrong manners, or MultiBeast itself may have some problems.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.175274/

Guys... I'm about to throw this freaking PC in the trash...
Can't install Windows anymore...
So I'm trying to do what is suggested here... Since I think my BIOS is SCREWED!
I can't express HOW UPSET I am!
I'm done with Hackintoshes... I just wanna be able to go back to windows and have my PC working again...

CHECK THIS:
I CANNOT type the commands on the shell thingy...
Because the letters starting eating each other...
What the heck is this?!?!?!
Any clues??? The keyboard barely works on this shell thing...
If you guys have any clues at all, I'll appreciate them.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.175274/

Wow, this is just ridiculous. Not only can't I boot to Windows anymore, I can't even do the fix in the EFI shell that comes with Clover because if I type more than three or four letters, the cursor wraps back to the beginning of the line and overwrites what I just typed... And it's not my keyboard. My keyboard works just fine. No stuck keys. Not going to touch Clover for a very long time... Did no one test this?

UEFI can handle multiple OS's and EFI boot devices without this happening. The spec requires each OS to provide their own efi boot loader for that OS. UEFI scans the available storage devices and gives a list of available boot loaders. Clover is definitely doing something it shouldn't.

Man! SAME THING HERE!
I want my computer BACK!

You seem to know a lot more than I do about this situation. Perhaps you should try to discuss/request a change by communicating with Slice and the other Clover developers here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/page-1

Or, if you are a developer, you could get involved in the project. We would all benefit if a solution could be found to this problem.
Found this...
https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

bro, i hope this helps...
i couldnnt even install windows... i thought i was screwed!
so, what i did was keep on trying...
the shell thing freaking SUX.
anyways...
i made a new bootable windows installation... and now im being able to install it...
also, just to make sure, i found which revision my mobo is...
downloaded the bios update,... and flashed it, with a pen drive...

now windows is installing... once i can do that..., ill be able to kill the messed up uefi extra partitions with easy uefi...

hope this helps... cuz it was a freaking nightmare!

... if I type more than three or four letters, the cursor wraps back to the beginning of the line and overwrites what I just typed...

Try using a different USB port. My mobo has USB2.0, USB3.0 and ASMedia USB3.0 ports. Two USB2.0 ports are next to the PS2 keyboard/mouse port, four Intel Z97 USB3.0 ports and two ASMedia USB3.0 ports under the NIC connector. My front panel header has two USB3.0 ports, which I assume go to the Intel controller on the CPU. It also has two USB2.0 headers on the mobo which I have not connected to anything.

My mobo also has a BIOS setting that reads:
USB Compatibility Patch
If your USB devices (i.e. USB mouse or storage) encounter compatibility problems,
please enable this option to fix it. Please note that after enabling this option, it is
normal that the system will postpone booting up after pressing the power button.

Third Party USB 3.0 Controller
Enable or disable all of the USB 3.0 ports controlled by third Party chips.

Check your mobo. Use the Clover USB2.0 stick in a USB2.0 slot. If you have an USB Compatibility Patch setting, try enabling it. Maybe it'll work correctly. And if it does, you'll want to mark it for future reference.

... once I can do that..., I'll be able to kill the messed up UEFI extra partitions with Easy UEFI ... cuz it was a freaking nightmare!

I'm not crazy about UEFI, either. I've come to the conclusion that I'm happy running all my OSes in Legacy mode. And trust me, after you see what Clover UEFI Shell can do, and see what other manufacturer's cannot do with their UEFI setups (I'm looking straight at you, HP!) you'll appreciate it a whole LOT more.

[edit]
So I went home and played around with it.

Changing to any USB port didn't help.

Enabling or disabling the USB Compatibility Patch didn't work.

Using a PS2 keyboard didn't make it easier, either. Maybe I should have used a PS2 Y cable? But then I'd have to search for a PS2 mouse, of which I have a few here at work.

I had some success, albeit with the typical frustrations declared here, by using the "Home" and "Insert" keyboard keys. Just hitting the End key didn't always seem to work, although depressing the End key for over 4 seconds allowed me to Delete an entry, about a third of the time. The problem was getting out of it afterwards because the mouse didn't work and the Escape, up/down arrow keys didn't do anything. I think I ended up depressing the End key for over 4 seconds to be able to exit the edit. At least half the time I would have to exit and then return to the line to edit.

I'm not crazy about UEFI, either. I've come to the conclusion that I'm happy running all my OSes in Legacy mode. And trust me, after you see what Clover UEFI Shell can do, and see what other manufacturer's cannot do with their UEFI setups (I'm looking straight at you, HP!) you'll appreciate it a whole LOT more.

[edit]
So I went home and played around with it.

Changing to any USB port didn't help.

Enabling or disabling the USB Compatibility Patch didn't work.

Using a PS2 keyboard didn't make it easier, either. Maybe I should have used a PS2 Y cable? But then I'd have to search for a PS2 mouse, of which I have a few here at work.

I had some success, albeit with the typical frustrations declared here, by using the "Home" and "Insert" keyboard keys. Just hitting the End key didn't always seem to work, although depressing the End key for over 4 seconds allowed me to Delete an entry, about a third of the time. The problem was getting out of it afterwards because the mouse didn't work and the Escape, up/down arrow keys didn't do anything. I think I ended up depressing the End key for over 4 seconds to be able to exit the edit. At least half the time I would have to exit and then return to the line to edit.

hey!
what i ended up doing was:
flashed the bios...
then I download a new Windows 8.1 ISO, and it worked!
also... I didn't delete my mac partition since it's still working.
So, yeah... Clean BIOS, everything working so far.

Say you, umm, delete the wrong boot entries and can now only boot into OS X with the USB boot drive installed…

How would you go about fixing that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back