Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that the listing is showing physical drives at 02, 03, 08, 09, 0A, and 0B –*more than 3 perhaps due to partitions or boot sectors. [Note: 0A and 0B are legitimate hexadecimal numbers.] I would remove all others, and then do a boot dump again to see the results. It may take a few times to get it right. If the option says "DevPath - PciRoot" then it needs to be removed. One time I had to remove ALL of the entries on my machine, so that the boot dump showed no entries at all. When I rebooted the computer, all was well. I am no expert on why this works, or exactly what it does, so I can't say this will for sure work with your system. I just found the technique useful for problems that seem to occur with Clover.

If your backup drives contain boot sectors with an installed boot loader (like a clone of your startup disk), you will continue to run into problems.
All my boot entries say DevPath - PciRoot and none say HD? What do I do if that's the case?

When I use the finder to look at my boot drive at the root level I see a folder called "EFI-Backups" which contains four folders named "r0000" "r3423" "r3556" and "r3577". These all have an EFI folder and copies of, I'm assuming, previous contents of the EFI used to boot.

My question is, could these be causing the extra bios entries? I'm new at this and am just wondering aloud. OK, keyboarding aloud, kind of.

So glad I found this forum. Having boot entries duplicate was a puzzling bug. (I'm using Z170x UD5 TH).

The difficulty was that I had no boot dump entry for HD that pointed to \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI. Instead I only had \EFI\BOOT\BOOTx64.EFI. And, I don't yet know how to tell Clover to write all it's boot entries into the UEFI.

Instead I solved it by writing my own boot entry into Clover EFI Shell. Boot to Clover loader. Enter EFI Shell. As shell loads, note the label of the HDD/SSD your efi and OS X are installed on. FS0 in my case. Then bcfg boot dump. VERY CAREFULLY add a new entry after the highest one in the list. I had to type "bcfg boot add 05 FS0:\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI CloverBoot" w/o the quotes.

Then, booted into OS X, mounted EFI, and renamed /BOOT to BOOT.bak

Tested rebooting several times and seems resolved. (I did have to go into Bios and select my new CloverBoot as boot option 1).
Hope it helps! Use with caution.
Hi, MacMerlin
I don't know if you still around, sorry to bother you but I just built a Hackintosh and tried to apply your solution to the boot entries.

I already cleaned my other entries according Anachronaut's way, then input the code in Clover EFI Shell.
I've attached a picture to see what I'm talking about:

9AQ57IH.jpg

and I can get add nothing. it says Cannot open file
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

my BIOS is not too Modern, it just have the Legacy style and only had one option to allow uefi, that is to disable CSM. I think that is where the problem came, there is no way to put back those USB and HD boot options anymore. Ive tried to boot a windows DVD but no go. installed windows through LAN with server and finished install but not booting on its own - even selecting windows boot manager from bios. I think its trying to locate the original boot manager or something.

If Windows had its own boot manager (meaning that it was installed before you installed OSX) then you need to make a Recovery Disc (Windows Vista, 7, 8.0) or USB (Windows 8.1, 10). You would then use your boot election F key and boot through the CD or USB.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

Window 8.x:
Troubleshooting -> Advanced -> Command Prompt
C:\>
bcdedit {this should show the drive that has the boot loader and the drive letter of where the OS is installed}
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildBCD
C:\> exit

And of course, before issuing the exit command, if you want to enable being able to be able to get into safe mode (huh?), you would issue the command bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy. That will allow you to get into Windows Safe Mode by repeatedly hitting F8, like in the old days.

and of course, Windows10 had to make changes ... :rolleyes:

You can Google it or search for a YouTube video.

Once Windows boots fine, power down the PC through the Shutdown command and pull the power cord (in case it goes into Hibernation mode), reconnect the OSX drive, power up the PC and hit the F key to select your boot drive.

Last edited:
I had this problem earlier. I was clearing out the entries using the bcfg boot rm command.

I finally got some time to fix it and when I looked at my boot dump I only had the number of entries that is to be expected. This was very surprising. Even in the UEFI everything was normal. Before I'd have up to twenty entries.

I actually thought it'd be worse as I just installed Win 10.

Now it makes me wonder what has happened. I did install the new clover bootloader other than that I cannot be sure what fixed it.

Any ideas?

Does the newest Clover bootloader resolve this issue? Did my installing Windows 10 do something to the EFI partition?

Duplicate UEFI boot entries really got me confused for a while, even while I was just booting with flash drives in USB ports. For what it's worth, the instructions in this post:

Boot Folder Blues
Wow! Tried it and couldn't boot. After sweating some bullets for a couple of hours I installed a Hackintosh on a partition on one of my storage drives, downloaded EFI Mounter and was able to find the EFI volume on the SSD and change it back. So, beware if you are thinking about changing the name of your "Boot" folder inside your EFI folder. In my Hack, it was a temporary disaster!

Playing around deleting the duplicate entries earlier and discovered that even exiting the setup for the MB which restarts the MB, i would get a new duplicate startup entry. So, apparently the MB will add a new entry whether you boot into Mac OS or not. I have several volumes with Hackintosh systems installed on them. I guess I need to put one of them in an enclosure and only backup through USB?

This is not an issue with UEFI. It is an issue with Clover. I've installed many different OS's on multiple hard drives in UEFI mode (Linux, Windows, and BSD). I've never had this issue. It's a Clover issue period. I've had a hackintosh for quite some time and never had this issue until I installed Clover. So it would be very useful if Clover gets this fixed ASAP.

Wow, this is just ridiculous. Not only can't I boot to Windows anymore, I can't even do the fix in the EFI shell that comes with Clover because if I type more than three or four letters, the cursor wraps back to the beginning of the line and overwrites what I just typed... And it's not my keyboard. My keyboard works just fine. No stuck keys. Not going to touch Clover for a very long time... Did no one test this?

UEFI can handle multiple OS's and EFI boot devices without this happening. The spec requires each OS to provide their own efi boot loader for that OS. UEFI scans the available storage devices and gives a list of available boot loaders. Clover is definitely doing something it shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back