Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had close to 100 bad entries, love you.

Hi fellas, due to some bad decisions i had to keep reinstalling fresh el capitan and now i have abt 18 entries. And out of 18, only actually says pci root. The rest says HD (1, GPT, etc etc)

Where do i go from here? Do i still go ahead with the steps in the first thread or the other options outlined by MacMerlin in post 53

I have this nagging feeling that the multipe boot options seem to be messing with my installation somehow. A fresh install of el capitan and clover bootloader always picks up a previous config.plist file.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

... the Nvidia drivers won't stick for me - always defaults back to OSX Default graphics drivers...

What worked for me was clearing the Kernel Caches. Pay particular attention to replacing "Config-2" with "none".

Now, if I could only find the article...

The following takes place in the clover console from the Clover boot menu.

Once I deleted all the PCIRoot entries using "bcfg boot rm XX" I was left with 3 entries.

To determine which entry to use I typed the following at the "Shell>" prompt:
map
Which prints out the mapping table. The mapping table has entries that are labeled "FS0" and "FS1", etc. To see where the mappings are pointed you can use the "vol" command such as:
vol fs0
Which output:
Volume EFI (rw)
xxxx bytes total disk space
xxx bytes available on disk
512 bytes in each allocation unit
The first line indicates that "fs0" points to the EFI boot volume where the change needs to take place.

Now run "bcfg boot dump" to see what number the new entry will be. My output had Options 01, 02, and 03 listed (taken) so my "add" command below will use 04.

So now I know which entry to use in the "bcfg add" command mentioned in the solution.
bcfg boot add 04 FS0:\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI CloverBoot
Then I removed the old entry pointing at boot EFI on my SSD (not the one on my USB boot drive)
bcfg boot rm XX
Where XX is the option number from your bcfg boot dump that points to your boot.efi. Reboot and rename your OSX drive and mount the EFI partition and rename EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI to BOOT.BAK

I had the dreaded "MAC OSX" in the BIOS Boot Selection screen.

How did it get there? Because I first installed MultiBoot selecting UEFI Bootloader (naming the install MAC OSX) [I literally went with the Installation Instructions but ignoring naming it "El Capitan," should I decide to later on upgrade the disc.] and then re-running it through MultiBeast Legacy Bootloader (naming it MAC OSX).

Booting from the USB Stick in UEFI showed no entry named "MAC OSX" when doing "bcfg boot dump (Screen was in 1900x1080 resultion).
Booting from the USB Stick (without the UEFI entry) showed "MAC OSX" when doing "bcfg boot dump (Screen was in 800x600 resultion).

Then I had the problem of trying to remove it. After a few keystrokes it would wrap around to the beginning of the command line and not allow me to issue a "bcfg boot dump" command. I had to hit a dozen Carriage Return/Enter keystrokes to be able to finally be able to issue the "bcfg boot rm xx" command.

After finally figuring out that my Win 8.1P and Linux Mint 17.3 were both in Legacy mode I re-ran the install, this time correctly (completely erasing the OSX disc before doing the install) and selecting the Legacy bootloader. Naming it "El Capitan" did not make a new BIOS entry, it just lists the disc drives. I now use the Boot Selection screen to select which disc to boot into and I set the Linux Mint disc as the default disc, allowing me to select Mint or Win8.1P.

Once I deleted all the PCIRoot entries using "bcfg boot rm XX" I was left with 3 entries.

map
Which prints out the mapping table. The mapping table has entries that are labeled "FS0" and "FS1", etc. To see where the mappings are pointed you can use the "vol" command such as:
vol fs0
Which output:
Volume EFI (rw)
The first line indicates that "fs0" points to the EFI boot volume where the change needs to take place.

Now run "bcfg boot dump" to see what number the new entry will be. My output had Options 01, 02, and 03 listed (taken) so my "add" command below will use 04.

So now I know which entry to use in the "bcfg add" command mentioned in the solution.
Then I removed the old entry pointing at boot EFI on my SSD (not the one on my USB boot drive)
bcfg boot rm XX
Where XX is the option number from your bcfg boot dump that points to your boot.efi. Reboot and rename your OSX drive and mount the EFI partition and rename EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI to BOOT.BAK

THANK YOU! These instructions worked perfectly for me. No more extraneous entries.

fishsticks,

Two thumbs up, way up! I gotta print it and bookmark it quick.

map
vol fs0
Which output:
Volume EFI (rw)

bcfg boot rm XX

Although the problem is a big fuss, the way to fix is simple. Wonder if MultiBeast will do the same procedure in the future.

I have also the same trouble , whit many duplicated entries in my bios... ( all are of my SSD , where i have clover and el capitan installed ) and i remove all duplicate whit the help of your tutorial.

Yesterday a move my win hd to uefi and now i don't have anymore any legacy boot in my hard drives.. but today y check and again i have duplicated entries ...... is there any final solution ?

Last edited:
Methinks the problem occurs when it comes out of Deep Sleep or Hibernation and does a re-scan of all the devices. Perhaps someone can test by turning off Deep Sleep and Fast Boot options in their OSes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back