Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes to everything except I left the HD and the BBS (HD) in the clover shell. But my nvidia drivers don't stick (defaults back to OS X drivers) so maybe that why this doesn't work either if they are both nvram related?

Will check tomorrow but pretty sure UEFI boot is enabled

[update]
new nvidia drivers came out today and stick so my nvram must be ok.
i have UEFI boot enabled.

I think the issue might be that i only get a HD entry in bcfg when the USB is plugged in?

Yes to everything except I left the HD and the BBS (HD) in the clover shell. But my nvidia drivers don't stick (defaults back to OS X drivers) so maybe that why this doesn't work either if they are both nvram related?

Will check tomorrow but pretty sure UEFI boot is enabled

[update]
new nvidia drivers came out today and stick so my nvram must be ok.
i have UEFI boot enabled.

I think the issue might be that i only get a HD entry in bcfg when the USB is plugged in?

You mean the UEFI Shell (started in the Clover menu)?
If you are suspecting the GPU – pull it out and boot with IGPU.
Are you booting the HD from USB? But even if you do so – the entry stays in NVRAM when you have booted with it plugged in once.

Yeah I meant the UEFI shell.

It's not the GPU, I thought there might've been a correlation between the driver and the boot entries. But it seems the nvidia drivers were bad.

After a few boots the HD partition appears but it seems I still can't remove the BOOT folder from the main drives EFI partition.

I'll try again tomorrow and report back

Are you following the instruction exactly?
You NEED the HD entry of EFI partition in NVRAM (see bcfg).
You NEED the HD entry of OS X partiton (and any other partition you want to boot) in Clover plist (see my file post #38).
You NEED, of course, to enable UEFI boot in in the firmware (many, even manufacturers, call it still "BIOS", what is nonsens).

Then you can delete BOOT folder from EFI folder.

HI guys no luck here yet either.

In terms of: You NEED the HD entry of EFI partition in NVRAM (see bcfg). Do i want to remove all over boot locations like the cd drive and windows drive and data drive from here and just leave the osx? I've done the next link and add these to the clover plist.

Also unsure on the enable UEFI boot in the firmware? should have thats enabled in my bios?

Look forward to see if you get this sorted jdizzle. Oh on another note how did you get the nvidea drivers to stick mine default back to the osx default graphics driver every time as well.

Thanks

Thanks

Yeah you should be able to enable UEFI Boot in the BIOS, the wording may vary a little depending on which board you have.

I booted yesterday and a pop up for the new nvidia drivers told me to download which I did and they stuck. I'm guessing it was an issue at their end? Just make sure to have the check for driver updates box ticked in system prefs / nvidia drivers.

It sounds like after this boot entry issue my two remaining issues (can't use XMP profile for my ram and an unusual double boot thing) can be fixed with a BIOS update (but I'm waiting for it to get out of beta before updating)

Yeah you should be able to enable UEFI Boot in the BIOS, the wording may vary a little depending on which board you have.

I booted yesterday and a pop up for the new nvidia drivers told me to download which I did and they stuck. I'm guessing it was an issue at their end? Just make sure to have the check for driver updates box ticked in system prefs / nvidia drivers.

It sounds like after this boot entry issue my two remaining issues (can't use XMP profile for my ram and an unusual double boot thing) can be fixed with a BIOS update (but I'm waiting for it to get out of beta before updating)

Ahh man the Nvidia drivers wont stick for me always defaults back to OSX Default graphics drivers any ideas? is it a clover config setting i have nvda_drv=1 at the moment.

Also i have updated my bios on the gaming 7 and am using XMP profile for my ram so imagine that will fix for you.

Duplicate UEFI boot entries really got me confused for a while, even while I was just booting with flash drives in USB ports. For what it's worth, the instructions in this post:

Warning this guide ignores all other OS, following this may cause other OS on your system to not boot.

Try the following:

In Clover -> Add Clover boot options for all entries

In Clover -> Start EFI Shell

In EFI Shell -> type these commands

Code:
bcfg boot dump
This will give you a list of all boot entries.

Delete all entries starting with PCI, do NOT delete those starting with HD, using this command:

If a PCI entry is 02:
Code:
bcfg boot rm 02
Be aware that boot entry 03 will now be 02.

When you have removed all PCI entries, use the same command until you only have one HD entry pointing to \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI

Boot into OS X, mount your EFI partiton and RENAME the EFI/BOOT folder to something else like BOOT.BAK

Now you should not get any more entries.

My understanding is that this is caused by a bug in the AMI UEFI, which is adding a PCI boot entry every time it sees EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI, but by adding the /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI (which is the same as the other) and removing EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI, we are circumventing the bug.

worked perfectly for me. The piece of the puzzle that was missing is that you need to explicitly tell Clover to write all of its boot entries into the UEFI and only then delete the ones that aren't pointing at the EFI partition on your OS X drive.

It's pretty easy to avoid hosing your Windows install if you have one, because it'll say "Windows Boot Manager" right in the description.

Now I can reboot between OS X and Windows all I want using either F12 or letting Clover handle it, without having to fiddle around moving my Clover installation to my Windows SSD. The /BOOT folder does serve one important purpose as a fallback in case your UEFI entries get corrupted or erased, so if you delete or rename it, make sure you have a bootable Clover flash drive in reserve for emergencies. I've attached a snapshot of what my bcfg looks like now.

Attachments

• 2016-02-24 01.38.37.jpg
    2016-02-24 01.38.37.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 741
Hello know an easy way to get rid of clover in the Bios , search for files, ESP, EFI, UFEI, AND EXTRA DELET ALL AND REINSTALL CHAMELEON :clap:

Thanks darukaru - This helped me a lot ... :clap::clap::clap:

Hi all.
If you are a Gigabyte skylake* motherboard user, who is still affected by this bug. Then I encourage you to each please file 1 new bug with Gigabyte's eSupport ticketing system.

* For any newer Gigabyte Z170, H170, H110 motherboards, such as Z10X-* series, and similar products.

Examples:

* Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 3/5/7
* Gigabyte GA-Z170X UDH5

etc.
Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back