Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed this problem since the introduction of yosemite for my motherboard (Asus Maximus VI Hero). Only the boot entry name is different. ‘UEFI OS’ in EL Capitan, ‘Mac OS X’ in Yosemite.

I used to remove them by flashing BIOS. But it will reappear whenever i apply any update to Mac OS that requires a restart. The problem is not there with legacy boot loaders. Hence, I have been using legacy clover installed to EFI. Will try this bcfg command next time with CloverUEFI.

I noticed this problem since the introduction of yosemite for my motherboard (Asus Maximus VI Hero). Only the boot entry name is different. ‘UEFI OS’ in EL Capitan, ‘Mac OS X’ in Yosemite.

I used to remove them by flashing BIOS. But it will reappear whenever i apply any update to Mac OS that requires a restart. The problem is not there with legacy boot loaders. Hence, I have been using legacy clover installed to EFI. Will try this bcfg command next time with CloverUEFI.

So as long as we're using Clover's Legacy install options-- like required on pre-UEFI systems, such as X58-- we don't have to worry about this?

@ justr

In my case - Yes.

One has to make sure that booting is through legacy clover (atleast just before applying any update), as UEFI booting can be done with legacy clover install.
Booting will take a few extra seconds for legacy boot.

So there is no way to have a second internal ssd as a backup drive? This is a pain:thumbdown:

This also explains the hours and hours I've had to spend fixing and re-fixing my system after it crapped out from attempting to boot off of clones.

I think that this is really important and should be at the top of the list for solving/preventing problems with Clover.

I've spent DAYS fixing my2 hackintoshs running Clover apparently because i would back up the main drive onto internal and external ssd's and then attempt to try the backups. Everything would go south at that point and nothing would boot. It also looks like my bios was changed on occasion.

Until I read this info I had no idea why nothing worked reliably.

This is fascinating – I've been trying to figure out why my system randomly develops boot problems on my ASUS Z97-AR motherboard, and I've recently come to the conclusion that the list of boot devices is growing without bounds, which eventually causes it to crash when entering the UEFI interface, or just trying to boot normally. At least this gives me a way to clear out the excess entries.

Can anyone shed any light on why exactly these extra entries get added? Is it a Clover thing? I presume it does't happen with a normal Windows EFI boot, as otherwise there'd be many more people complaining.

Edit: I should mention that I have one disk with a Clover/OS X EFI system partition, and another with the Windows EFI boot loader, which seems to be enough to trigger this. I'm not sure how you're meant to achieve dual-boot over multiple disks without​ this being a problem.

This is fascinating – I've been trying to figure out why my system randomly develops boot problems on my ASUS Z97-AR motherboard, and I've recently come to the conclusion that the list of boot devices is growing without bounds, which eventually causes it to crash when entering the UEFI interface, or just trying to boot normally. At least this gives me a way to clear out the excess entries.

Can anyone shed any light on why exactly these extra entries get added? Is it a Clover thing? I presume it does't happen with a normal Windows EFI boot, as otherwise there'd be many more people complaining.

Edit: I should mention that I have one disk with a Clover/OS X EFI system partition, and another with the Windows EFI boot loader, which seems to be enough to trigger this. I'm not sure how you're meant to achieve dual-boot over multiple disks without​ this being a problem.

I think this is due to the way the current Clover operates. I think the solution is probably to remove the normal Windows boot loader from the Windows EFI partition, and let Clover do all the work. Since I have no experience with Windows in this type of configuration, I have no idea if this can work. Please post results if you find a solution or experiment with the one I have suggested.

:)the problem that i have is quite different and strange every time i install update or restore anything in osx i get a boot entry in bios that called mac osx now i have multiple the only way i know to get ride of is to flash bios but i need a way to prevent it from doing that or else i will be flashing bios many times

I get an error "bcfg is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file". Any ideas?
Thanks.

post a pic to see if your doing it rite...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back