Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there !

I followed the instructions and removed 3 boot drives but when I restart nothing has changed. I still have 5 boot options. When I run bcfg dump there are only 2 listed (see screenshots below). Any idea why I still have 5 drives.

My setup is: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, 2 SSD drives (Mac + Windows), El Capitan install

Hi there !

I followed the instructions and removed 3 boot drives but when I restart nothing has changed. I still have 5 boot options. When I run bcfg dump there are only 2 listed (see screenshots below). Any idea why I still have 5 drives.

My setup is: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, 2 SSD drives (Mac + Windows), El Capitan install

My best guess is that scanning is switched on in config.plist. You might want to check https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/GUI#gui_scan_scan-entries, especially the section "Scan".

On the other hand, you might want this because if you turn off scanning, you are no longer able to boot Windows from Clover.

Cheers,
Erwin

When I boot into Clover UEFI Shell to remove the extra (26 :crazy:) boot entries I am unable to type the bcfg boot dump command. When I hit space after typing the g it just start typing over the first of it. I check and my apple keyboard is plugged into a USB 2 port.

I am running a Gigabyte GA-Z77N mb. Something weird about the apple keyboard? I would try another if I had one.

I was also having this problem typing in the clover EFI shell until I read a comment on ****** that said "EDIT2: I managed to find a walkaround to efi shell problems. It seemed, that to continue interrupted command I just needed to press arrow up key and I could continue. Still don't know, why such thing happened, but I solved it."

This helped me finally get my dual boot 10/el cap running perfectly.

I followed Erwin's advice , but after every reboot I still get a new bogus UEFI entry for my boot SSD. Ugly. I can weed them out in the Clover shell, but every restart means a new entry. I don't have a Windows disk. I have many more non-bootable disks attached to my Z170x, but these don't add to the list. It's only my Clover boot SSD that multiplies...

Any ideas?

I have a Gigabyte "GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5" and I can confirmed after renaming the "BOOT" folder in the OSX EFI Partition, I renamed it "LAUNCHER" and removing the extra boot option entries adding a manual boot entry using "EasyUEFI" pointing it to "\EFI\LAUNCHER\BOOTX64.efi", I am no longer getting multiple boot option entries
thumbsup_anim.gif

Thank you to everyone for their comments and contributions.

I accidentally deleted my original drive entry. I am stuck with 'bogus entries' now. I can still boot into OS X as normal though, at least for now...

How can I restore the entry for the real, physical drive? If I know how to do that, I can follow the other procedure in the post above and stop more entries from spawning.

Any help much appreciated.

No need to bother, I solved it.

(Add All Entries to restore, then remove the bad entries)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back