X1Carbon 5Gen
CPU
i7-7500U
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Disclaimer:
The procedures documented in this tutorial may result in Data loss and I will not be responsible for any of the data loss. You have been warned. Proceed at your own risk.

The Problem:

I am running dual system (win10 and macOS 10.13.6) on my X1 Carbon 2017 (5th gen), two systems are installed on the same SSD but in different partitions. The computer came with genuine Win10 so I didn't want to remove it, nor to change any files in the original system. However, as I still work on both OS's file sharing became a problem, windows can't read APFS while macOS does not, by default, enable read/write support for NTFS.

Before installing macOS, I had 3 partitions: C, D, E and I didn't want to change any of them.

I have seen a tutorial where you rewrite /sbin/mount_ntfs, but partition C (Windows) cannot be loaded.
similarly, writing a /etc/fstab works, but partition C (Windows) mounted is read-only (probably due to quickboot caches)

Paragon NTFS for Mac and Tuxera NTFS are good apps that probably have better efficiency and definitely have better support than the solution in this post, and I do suggest you to purchase one of these products if possible (data can be really precious and free solutions usually don't provide support). However, some users (like me) may not be willing to spend that money. Yes, there are cracked versions, but it is 1.illegal 2.dangerous.

If you are planning for long-term use or do have precious data, consider using a well-supported product like the two listed above.

Luckily, Tuxera does have a free, open-source solution to read-write NTFS called ntfs-3g, we will be using that to load our NTFS volumes. (Thanks Tuxera :D)

inspired by this post <- more details but in Chinese, if you can read it go for it.
Tools Used:
- Homebrew (You probably already have this installed, if not read here, this tutorial won't be covering over home-brew)
-
Fuse for OSX (Used to load other file system supports)
-
ntfs-3g

Procedure:
1. Run
Code:
$ brew cask install osxfuse
to install Fuse for OSX
2. Run
Code:
$ brew install ntfs-3g
to install ntfs-3g

/*
* at this point you can mount ntfs disks using the ntfs-3g command
* but hey, we want automatic mounts
*/

3. lets get rid of the original mount_ntfs:
Code:
$ sudo mv /sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs_orig
4. now we use ntfs-3g to handle the loading operation of NTFS disks:
Code:
$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/Cellar/ntfs-3g/2017.3.23/sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs
For me, ntfs-3g is installed in /usr/local/Cellar/ntfs-3g/2017.3.23 and so the above command worked for me, note that the installation paths may change and you have to change the path by your self according to your own system.

5. reboot the system and check you finder!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
R9 270X
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
It's possible to remount an NTFS partition with native read/write support in macOS/OSX and not require any third party tools. Research online indicates this has been available with the Apple NTFS drivers for some time. My experience with it has been good enough to say it's quick and effective if all you need is temporary access.

Create a folder called "Mount" inside your user profile folder and enter the following commands in Terminal:
Replace diskXsX with the NTFS drive you want to access. Use "diskutil list" to find the drive identifier.

Code:
sudo umount /dev/diskXsX
sudo mount -t ntfs -o rw,auto,nobrowse /dev/diskXsX ~/Mount

You now have full access under "/Users/username/drivename" but not on the desktop or in Finder toolbar which aren't supported. Later in Windows you may need to set the NTFS permissions under the security properties tab when you try to access any files and folders you added to that drive.

Extended attributes on some files can cause access issues (grayed out) when the drive is mounted in macOS/OSX again. If so open Terminal change to the NTFS drive or subfolder and enter the command below to correct this problem:

Code:
xattr -d com.apple.FinderInfo *

When finished unmount or eject the drive as usual. I've not experienced any corruption on either OS but you must eject the drive in Windows using the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the task try otherwise it won't mount as read/write in Mac. There is also a tool called Mounty that automates this process and covers most of this info on it's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.