Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade, Late 2016, FHD

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last couple of days I’ve been trying to remove cpus=4 as custom bootflag in config.plist for Sierra and High Sierra. This affects performance, you won’t actually notice anything in day to day tasks, but if you use some demanding apps on your computer you will notice a difference. I didn’t know this, until @RehabMan answered me back here. So, I ran the same application in El Capitan which use all the 8 cpus. cpus=4 will only use 4 logical cpus, meaning, you are actually using a dual-core processor on Sierra and High Sierra. There is a workaround on this, @freejack mentioned it back then. C9 need to be disabled in the BIOS and you’ll need to reflash it back. I haven’t taken that step yet (in fear for a brick). So, when I need all cores (creativity apps) I boot up El Capitan and mostly all applications still support 10.11.6. So if you want maximum performance, consider El Capitan. Remember: Only some demanding apps require all cores, this is not the case for a light user.

Last edited:
In the last couple of days I’ve been trying to remove cpus=4 as custom bootflag in config.plist for Sierra and High Sierra. This affects performance, you won’t actually notice anything in day to day tasks, but if you use some demanding apps on your computer you will notice a difference. I didn’t know this, until @RehabMan answered me back here. So, I ran the same application in El Capitan which use all the 8 cpus. cpus=4 will only use 4 logical cpus, meaning, you are actually using a dual-core processor on Sierra and High Sierra. There is a workaround on this, @freejack mentioned it back then. C9 need to be disabled in the BIOS and you’ll need to reflash it back. I haven’t taken that step yet (in fear for a brick). So, when I need all cores (creativity apps) I boot up El Capitan and mostly all applications still support 10.11.6. So if you want maximum performance, consider El Capitan. Remember: Only some demanding apps require all cores, this is not the case for a light user.

Really tempted to try this but also don't want a $2500 brick :sick: could you not just set cpus=8? I'm sure that's probably already been attempted though. Also, the one last thing I don't have working is my battery shows 100% and plugged in even if it isnt. Patched DSDT with the patch provided in the bundle but still no luck. Any ideas?

Really tempted to try this but also don't want a $2500 brick :sick: could you not just set cpus=8? I'm sure that's probably already been attempted though. Also, the one last thing I don't have working is my battery shows 100% and plugged in even if it isnt. Patched DSDT with the patch provided in the bundle but still no luck. Any ideas?
Tried cpus=8 and it didn’t work. El Capitan is the way to go if you want to use all of your cores for now. Like you said 2.5K is a lot of money and if you brick this thing, I don’t know if you’ll be able to buy a new one, I won’t. Try this:
I'm surprised this ugly fix worked but from my brief testing it seems to be ok. There appears to be a bug either in the laptop's ACPI or ACPIBatteryManager which results in the currentStatus not being updated when the power is disconnected once the battery is fully charged and no longer charging (by this I mean battery has reached fMaxCapacityRaw).

My hack is stupid simple. If the currentRate > 0 (which means it's either charging or discharging) and currentStatus=0 (which it gets stuck at because of the bug I described above), I force _BST to report a currentStatus of 0x01 (discharging). Here's the change:

In method _BST, replace:

Store (B1B2(^^EC0.ST00,^^EC0.ST01), Index (BFB0, Zero))

with:

If (LEqual (B1B2(^^EC0.ST00,^^EC0.ST01), Zero))

{
If (LGreater (B1B2(^^EC0.ST10,^^EC0.ST11), Zero))

{
Store (One, Index (BFB0, Zero))​
}

Else
{
Store (B1B2(^^EC0.ST00,^^EC0.ST01), Index (BFB0, Zero))​
}​
}

Else
{
Store (B1B2(^^EC0.ST00,^^EC0.ST01), Index (BFB0, Zero))​
}​

It may take a few seconds for the status indicator to update but it will. Good luck and I hope it works for you as well.

Tried cpus=8 and it didn’t work. El Capitan is the way to go if you want to use all of your cores for now. Like you said 2.5K is a lot of money and if you brick this thing, I don’t know if you’ll be able to buy a new one, I won’t. Try this:
Any easy way of going down to El Capitan and keeping my files or would I have to start all over and reinstall all of my programs? That DSDT fix for the battery isn't working for me. DSDT won't compile for some reason. It only gives me this error when I add that code though, once I undo it it compiles fine
0966de552da98612c00815835d622260.png

Any easy way of going down to El Capitan and keeping my files or would I have to start all over and reinstall all of my programs? That DSDT fix for the battery isn't working for me. DSDT won't compile for some reason. It only gives me this error when I add that code though, once I undo it it compiles fine
For day-to-day tasks there is no need to install El Capitan as its only about 6-7 months until they stop support for security updates. Only proceed if you use processor demanding applications. You can actually create a partition as HFS+ and install El Capitan there. There is no need for wiping everything and then install. If you create a HFS+ partition just for data and move everything in, then you should have no problem with your files, if your partition have been converted to APFS, then you'll need the High Sierra installer to format that partition back to HFS+ because El Capitan does not support APFS.

I tried to apply this myself with the new DSDT after updated BIOS and I get the same error you get there. This error means that ACPI language of this patch is not correct. I have never needed it as I only need to see how much battery I have. This happens if forget to unplug the battery within the OS or you charge while the machine is off. I hope RehabMan can help!

MaciASL patches are NOT code you add. They are only for the MaicASL Patch window.

For day-to-day tasks there is no need to install El Capitan as its only about 6-7 months until they stop support for security updates. Only proceed if you use processor demanding applications. You can actually create a partition as HFS+ and install El Capitan there. There is no need for wiping everything and then install. If you create a HFS+ partition just for data and move everything in, then you should have no problem with your files, if your partition have been converted to APFS, then you'll need the High Sierra installer to format that partition back to HFS+ because El Capitan does not support APFS.

I tried to apply this myself with the new DSDT after updated BIOS and I get the same error you get there. This error means that ACPI language of this patch is not correct. I have never needed it as I only need to see how much battery I have. This happens if forget to unplug the battery within the OS or you charge while the machine is off. I hope RehabMan can help!
I got bored last night and decided to flash my bios. Disabled C9 and removed cpus=4 bootflag. So far no issues but probably not worth it to do for a normal person. Wonder if there will ever be a way to get all cpu's working without having to flash bios on Sierra/High Sierra. No-one has gotten multitouch on the trackpad working yet right? I think it might be included in the VoodooI2C rewrite but I haven't been able to find any of the new kexts for it
MaciASL patches are NOT code you add. They are only for the MaicASL Patch window.
No luck pasting it in the patch window either, won't let me apply it.
Code:
In method _BST, replace:

with:

If (LEqual (B1B2(^^EC0.ST00,^^EC0.ST01), Zero))

{
If (LGreater (B1B2(^^EC0.ST10,^^EC0.ST11), Zero))

{
Store (One, Index (BFB0, Zero))
}

Else
{
}
}

Else
{
}
That's what I tried to paste but it doesn't look like it's format is correct to be applied as a patch?

Hi there!

My Blade model is stealth Skylake 6500U

I believe we share the same trackpad(At least I'm sure mine is I2C as well)

I have no problem loading official VoodooI2C and with the same mouse flying issue as the discussion in that thread

But I can't load the VoodooI2C you provided here

It'll immediately crash when loaded manually and simply just KP if I put it in L/E or clover/kexts

Can you give me some help or share the experience how you got the current kext?

I really want to fix this one since it is almost the last piece of puzzle to make this laptop a perfect hack!!

And thank you, your thread does help me a lot in the early hacking process!

BTW, does gesture work when VoodooI2C loads successfully?

Hi there!

My Blade model is stealth Skylake 6500U

I believe we share the same trackpad(At least I'm sure mine is I2C as well)

I have no problem loading official VoodooI2C and with the same mouse flying issue as the discussion in that thread

But I can't load the VoodooI2C you provided here

It'll immediately crash when loaded manually and simply just KP if I put it in L/E or clover/kexts

Can you give me some help or share the experience how you got the current kext?

I really want to fix this one since it is almost the last piece of puzzle to make this laptop a perfect hack!!

And thank you, your thread does help me a lot in the early hacking process!

BTW, does gesture work when VoodooI2C loads successfully?
Instructions are provided in the guide:
  • Trackpad:
    • Patch DSDT with rename _DSM to XDSM. Do not remove _DSM methods.
    • Apply Windows 10 OS patch.
    • Change XDSM back to _DSM in device TPD0.
    • Remove hotpatch "change _DSM to XDSM" in config.plist.
    • Remove LPSSI2C kexts in SLE.
    • Install VoodooI2C.
    • Restart!
Gestures don't work, only classic functions.

I still have trouble with the Trackpad.
I am running macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

I tried to follow the instructions from the Guide. But I don't get the Trackpad working. All other thinks are working well.

When I patch my own DSDT the Power Control don't work too. If I use the one from the Guide the Power management work but I still don't get the Trackpad working. uar can you please upload the latest config and the trackpad texts?
They are already included in the bundle, but I'll recheck for sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back