Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You were saying that undervolting is not worth it for the little gain in battery life because there is a huge performance hit. Sorry, but that is just not true.

Undervolting also has nothing to do with disabling TurboBoost. You can actually reach higher clocks and longer boost clocks because you are not as thermally limited. That's why you will see higher benchmark scores when using a lower voltage.

Sure, as an additional step to save energy you can disable TurboBoost, but that is something entirely different. I tried linking to someone doing a better job of explaining things than me, but unfortunately it got removed by a moderator.
Every guide to undervolting that will work with this laptop always involves disabling TurboBoost. And you really don't gain all that much battery life.

The big hit in battery life with this set up is the power management for the NVMe, which simply does not exist yet.

Every guide to undervolting that will work with this laptop always involves disabling TurboBoost. And you really don't gain all that much battery life.

The big hit in battery life with this set up is the power management for the NVMe, which simply does not exist yet.

Doesn't matter what any guide says, undervolting still has nothing to do with disabling TurboBoost. I don't know why you keep mixing these up?

Take a look at the undervolting part of stonevil's guide. Nowhere does he mention disabling TurboBoost. I'm using a tool to undervolt in Windows and planning to do so in macOS when I find the time. I don't have TurboBoost disabled and my temps stay lower and my machine runs faster. I can send you benchmark results if you like.

Discouraging people from looking into undervolting because it's a "massive hit in performance" is just not correct, because the opposite is the case here: Better temps, speed and battery life. Just google "undervolting cpu benefits" or something if you still don't believe me.

How much exactly it contributes to better battery life I haven't tested. For me personally it's more about lower temperatures and higher speed. Without undervolting (but with cpu friend) I'm getting around 4 hours in macOS. But I'm sure that saving power on the CPU will also lead to better battery life.

You have to dump a fresh version of your DSDT and unpack it as if you were first setting it up and then repatch the DSDT.

This happens sometimes, with hot booting Windows on the same drive.

Thx vettz i've forgotten to dump again with F2 and F4 i patched the DSDT again and it worked perfectly !!!

Thanks for all you've done

You have to dump a fresh version of your DSDT and unpack it as if you were first setting it up and then repatch the DSDT.

This happens sometimes, with hot booting Windows on the same drive.

Happened to me already the third time, super enjoying. Goggling hot booting gave me warm boot aka restart as answer. So you say as long as I don't restart my windows but always shut down I should not have this problem? Or are there any other fixes I can do?

As anyone been able to get Catalina fully working on the RB 15?

Firstly, thanks vetts for composing this guide and for the support through the thread. I have managed to get most things working the way I want except for aux audio which I'll get around to fixing at a later date or just put up with with usb-aux. I have installed mojave and one problem I have encountered is disabling the nvidia card. I'm by no means an expert but i tried applying the suggested dsdt patch which may or may not be h-sierra specific but it causes the screen to go black halfway through the loading screen boot. Interestingly though hdmi output sometimes receives a signal and will cause the internal monitor to turn back on and other times unsuccessfully. I'm not sure what files are relevant for help so just let me know what files you want to see and ill chuck them on. - Cheers

Firstly, thanks vetts for composing this guide and for the support through the thread. I have managed to get most things working the way I want except for aux audio which I'll get around to fixing at a later date or just put up with with usb-aux. I have installed mojave and one problem I have encountered is disabling the nvidia card. I'm by no means an expert but i tried applying the suggested dsdt patch which may or may not be h-sierra specific but it causes the screen to go black halfway through the loading screen boot. Interestingly though hdmi output sometimes receives a signal and will cause the internal monitor to turn back on and other times unsuccessfully. I'm not sure what files are relevant for help so just let me know what files you want to see and ill chuck them on. - Cheers
We'll need Problem Reporting files to really be able to help here. Sounds like an issue with Whatevergreen and graphics identifier though.

As anyone been able to get Catalina fully working on the RB 15?
Another user has done so pretty much the same as High Sierra and Mojave but Bluetooth was an issue. If you do a thread search it should pop up.

I currently have zero plans to upgrade to Catalina anytime soon as a lot of Audio based programs that I use are not yet compatible, so I won't be updating the guide for it yet.

I am running voltageShift with -130 -40 -130 0 0 0 0
Additionally I have used OneKeyCpuFriend to generate a low power profile with disabled turbo boost

Are you sure VoltageShift works on your razer blade? The website stated it only works on haswell and broadwell chipsets.

Don't worry actually, just tried again and it worked, also audio has been fixed. Can't thank you enough RehabMan and all other contributors!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back