Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mojave/High Sierra shouldn't matter what I wanted to know was if you got some kind of installer running before.

Just an idea: how long did you let it sit at that stage? When I was doing the 10.14.6 update it looked like it was stuck but then it worked after a while.

So in the base model you have a NVME and a SATA drive right? You could try and disconnect your second drive and see if that works. The stock NVME drive could prevent the installer from booting.

Other than that, maybe try to re-do everything and doulbe check. Also you could take a look at stonevils guide.

Never got installer running before unfortunately, I've let it sit at that stage for about 10 minutes ish, I only have 1 drive installed, i removed the nvme drive before attempting this since I want to use the nvme drive for windows. I tried following stonevil guide on github, it got stuck but with another error. Are you running High Sierra or Mojave on your Razer Blade?

I'm running Mojave for a while now, never tried High Sierra. I followed vettz guide as well and it worked fine once I swapped the SSD. I remember reading in this thread that there were problems with the base model, maybe there is something for you further back in this thread. Other than that I can't really help you. My only advice would be to let is sit for a little longer since there is no kernel panic or anything.

Hi guys, Ive been absent for some time as well and recently reinstalled HighSierra on an external SSD to try getting it running on my 2019 Mid Advanced Blade 15.But Ive been really struggling to get the Intel graphics to run properly. Thus didn't get my hands dirty on the trackpad and sound. Ill replace the wifi card down the road and use an ethernet adapter right now.
But that intel hd 630 of the i7-9750H gives me headaches so far. Maybe someone wants to take a look at my clover and help out.
Besides that, its quite snappy already :)

Thank you very much.
You're using the wrong Platform-id, it should be 0x3E9B0000 not 0x3E9B0009. Also you're setting Inject Intel Graphics to Yes, it should be set to No. You also have not injected the properties for the graphics Framebuffer patching which is NEEDED. It doesn't look like you used the config.plist from my Post Installation Files folder that is uploaded to the guide. That has all the patching done for you, you're missing the entire PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0) section of Devices - Properties.

Last edited:
I tried following the guide, I couldn't even get to the installer screen, I know nvidia won't work on Mojave, I don't mind actually.

I'm using RehabMan's latest clover build, then pasted the CLOVER folder from the Clover USB installer folder from post 1. And i'm stuck on this screen (check picture attached)
Have you tried making a new USB installer? Something is weird with your set up here. Either you missed a step in the BIOS configuration or your USB Installer has an issue with the Clover set up.

Hi everybody,

So i wanted to share my experience with my hackbook razer blade pro 15" haha

i've started to do all the tutorial here from vettz500 and it worked marvellous until the moment of the ssdt patching for the trackpad (that was working before it was supposed to) and the nvidia graphics deactivation

when i patched the ssdt i had the black screen happening again at startup and the audio never working anymore

after searching a bit i found that i didn't have the exact same razer blade as vettz and that i surely didn't had the same bios version

so i started my windows partition and update the bios to the actual 1.09 version for my razer blade advanced 2018 with a 1070 gtx (i think it matters for the trackpad !)

then reinstaled high sierra and followed step by step the @stonedevil tutorial for the blade 2019 and co...

i had two issues with the tutorial first was the part with maciasl to extract the dsdt.dsl (i followed the vettz tuto for this part)
and the second one for patching the graphics (the file is different than the one for the 2019 blade for the 2018 blade it's ssdt10 not 12)

after this everything seems to work perfectly with this method and i've updated natively to mojave without any issues i'm gonna do some tests for the audio and sleep because when the screen saver starts the screen won't come back ever

and audio didn't appear once but i did a lot of reboot since and its showing everytime switching from headset to speakers seems to work like a charm

i'm sharing my EFI without the config.plist file because i like my serial number a lot ^^

and thanks for all everybody did to enjoy mac os on this wonderfull machine

If you have the Razer Blade Advanced 2018 with the GTX 1070, then you have the exact same Razer Blade as myself and the one that was used to make this guide.
SSDT10 is the file referenced in this guide to disable the Nvidia Graphics, SSDT12 is for the Base Model or 2019 model.

I can't do much to help you with the issues you're having without the config.plst file. If you upload actual Problem Reporting files, that is mentioned at the end of this guide, it will make a copy of your config.plist without your serial number and other unnecessary information for you to post.

@stonevil any chance you would be updating your github soon?

+1 on this :p

This has to be the best hackintosh ever. It's my main machine now and used daily. Previous tries (Dell 7557, RBS 2019) have got nowhere near the quality / reliability of this build. I guess that makes it even more frustrating when it has the little niggles. lol.

Last edited:
Have you tried making a new USB installer? Something is weird with your set up here. Either you missed a step in the BIOS configuration or your USB Installer has an issue with the Clover set up.

I feel like a dumbass now, I didn't fully follow stonevil's guide, I tried to install Mojave Vanilla way, tried using multiple clover builds, none of which leads me to the installation screen and was stuck on black screen with a bunch of texts. I then tried to fully follow the guide, using unibeast and now I successfully installed Mojave, there were some hiccups though, installer was stuck on 80% for about an hour, I then force reset the laptop and try to resume the installation again, it was stuck again on 40% this time, the 3rd attempt was the charm it didn't get stuck again. Just need to do the DSDT patching for the trackpad and battery, and to get sound working now, I'll do it later when I get home.

It's hard for me to troubleshoot or pinpoint anything with your set up because you're on the 2019 model. That makes the biggest difference with trackpad issues and what not. But you've tried all of the latest drivers for it?

The sound issue is a PM issue, it's just trying to figure out what exactly with PM is causing the audio to not work properly at times.

Do you have the audio issue on the 2018 model as well?

I did a little testing and the power drain is definitely caused by sleep. No idea how to troubleshoot that though. Seems like it's a common issue at least on the 2019 model. See https://github.com/stonevil/Razer_Blade_Advanced_early_2019_Hackintosh/issues/19

Do you have the audio issue on the 2018 model as well?

I did a little testing and the power drain is definitely caused by sleep. No idea how to troubleshoot that though. Seems like it's a common issue at least on the 2019 model. See https://github.com/stonevil/Razer_Blade_Advanced_early_2019_Hackintosh/issues/19
Every once in a while the audio bug pops up for me. Sometimes on a reboot the audio sources are missing entirely, but that only happens every once in a while. I've never had to boot into Windows to fix audio though. The issue seems to be more exaggerated on the 2019 model.

The power drain isn't caused by sleep. It's caused by the lack of Power Management for the NVME. Power for it is never shut off, it's always on and it can't throttle power consumption on it because there's no drivers for OSX to interface with it. That's why battery life is better on the Windows side than it is on the Mac side.

Every once in a while the audio bug pops up for me. Sometimes on a reboot the audio sources are missing entirely, but that only happens every once in a while. I've never had to boot into Windows to fix audio though. The issue seems to be more exaggerated on the 2019 model.

The power drain isn't caused by sleep. It's caused by the lack of Power Management for the NVME. Power for it is never shut off, it's always on and it can't throttle power consumption on it because there's no drivers for OSX to interface with it. That's why battery life is better on the Windows side than it is on the Mac side.

Oh I wasn't talking about bad battery life in general or battery drain while sleeping.

Right now I'm at 100% battery. I unplugged the laptop from power and closed the lid. Now if I reopen the lid I'm getting keyboard illumination but a black screen. Close and open lid again, everything works. Now if I use the device for a couple of minutes it gets really hot and the fans start spinning. The Energy tab in Activity monitor tells me that I have 1:25h left. Now if I reboot it stays cool and I get about 4:30h of battery life.

I can reproduce this 100% of the time. It's definitely caused by the device going to sleep and I doubt it's the NVME drive. It kind of reminds me of how little battery life I got when the dGPU wasn't turned off via the ssdt, that's why I mentioned it. The CPU is not the problem I think, it's clocked super low and there is no real load or power draw. Temps do get hot on the CPU (I'm at 63 after letting it sit in this weird state for a couple of minutes) but that could be the heat of the GPU heating up the CPU as well.

That's just a theory though as I don't know how to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back