Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone notice windows crashing with the network card recommended in this guide?
Yes exactly the same problem but i found a solution

try to go rapidly before it crashes in the configuration panel
go to power plan settings
go to advanced settings
go to PCI Express
deactivate the Link State Power Management

i did it for the batterie mode and plugged mode and since no more crashes

source : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/bcm94352z-dw1560-causes-windows-10-lockup-freeze.256456/page-3

let me know

I put in my Sabrent Rocket 2tb NVME in and did a full reinstall. It's running like a dream now. Here are some things Ive noticed.

- The instructions call for the kexts to do put in L/E but it works 100% ok in the clover/kexts/other
Yes, we know. But for an official install and so the kexts always load properly, install them to L/E, the proper way.
- I've added fakesmc.kext with the acpisensors, cpusensors to show package cpu temps in istats menu

- If you ever had an issue with Nvidia web drivers is stuck in default macOS driver and not using the web driver make sure you have the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in your Clover/drivers64UEFI directory
This is why EmuVariableUefi-64.efi is included in the Post Installation Clover folder./

- The 1070 Max-Q Nvidia Card accelerates the laptop screen, if you have an external monitor plugged in AND set the primary display as the external monitor. I've tested this in Unigine Valley and dragging the window around I still get 60fps while the intel HD gets 6-10fps.
Yep, but the only issue is you can't use the Nvidia card on Mojave and up.

Issues:
- My cpu power limits at 25W. If you see the post above I've somewhat fixed it. But the CPU fan curve remains on "balanced" (synapse in windows 10) the fans don't ramp up to full speed to compensate the increased heat. This is not a problem in windows 10
- When I would shutdown or restart it would just hang with the status light blinking on the bottom of the laptop where I would force to just shut it down.

You should only be getting the 25W power limit on battery. When plugged in, you should not be experiencing this, same goes with the fan. My fans ramp up to full speed when needed. There's no known way to adjust the power limit on battery, it's a PM issue with everything being custom.

Did anyone ever end up posting a solution to this?

If all is configured properly, it should look like the screenshot below.
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 11.15.13 PM.png

Alright peoples! I'm back. Life has been crazy for me the last few months, I just haven't had the time to dedicate to this forum or this build. I've rocking the same install since January and it's been pretty much rock solid for me. I'm going to start making the move to migrate over to Mojave and Catalina and update the guide and keep up with your questions. It's a bit too much for me to go back and find unresolved questions, so if you have something still unresolved, please repost and I will do my best to get it answered. But this thread has become self sustaining which is awesome.

But I will be back, updating the guide itself and bringing in the new trackpad drivers and what not that have since been added by you fine folks.

So in the coming week or 2, expect more posts from me!

Hey @vettz500, nice to have you back :)

My build has been pretty stable as well, but there are a couple of annoying things that I can't seem to fix.

Touchpad is still a little jumpy and while using it you can see kernel_task using up to 70% cpu. Drags cancel midway through as well which can be frustrating.

Power usage is a little wonky sometimes. It seems to happen when the device is on battery or was sleeping. Fans kick in and it gets a little hot and you can see the battery draining faster than normal. CPU usage is low while that is happening so it might be the GPU? Can't say for sure though.

Audio is also tricky. I still have the distorted headphone thing and sometimes it doesn't work at all. Restarting coreaudio helps sometimes (sudo killall coreaudiod) but what consistently helps for me is booting into Windows, restarting and booting back into macOS. Could also be a power management thing as it only really happens when on battery.

Check out @stonevil 's guide on github, too. He did a great job with pictures, bios mods and all kinds of things. It's primarily for the early 2019 model but it should apply to the 2018 and mid 2019 model as well.

Check out @stonevil 's guide on github, too. He did a great job with pictures, bios mods and all kinds of things. It's primarily for the early 2019 model but it should apply to the 2018 and mid 2019 model as well.

I tried following stonevil guide and tried using his files on my RB15 Base Model, I couldn't even get to the installer screen, tried deleting some of the DSDT files mentioned on his guide, and I tried using all DSDT's aswell, attempting to install mojave with vettz files now, let's see how it goes.

EDIT: No luck using vettz files aswell.

Attachments

• IMG_4771.JPG
    IMG_4771.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
  • Vettz files.JPG
    Vettz files.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hey @vettz500, nice to have you back :)

My build has been pretty stable as well, but there are a couple of annoying things that I can't seem to fix.

Touchpad is still a little jumpy and while using it you can see kernel_task using up to 70% cpu. Drags cancel midway through as well which can be frustrating.

Power usage is a little wonky sometimes. It seems to happen when the device is on battery or was sleeping. Fans kick in and it gets a little hot and you can see the battery draining faster than normal. CPU usage is low while that is happening so it might be the GPU? Can't say for sure though.

Audio is also tricky. I still have the distorted headphone thing and sometimes it doesn't work at all. Restarting coreaudio helps sometimes (sudo killall coreaudiod) but what consistently helps for me is booting into Windows, restarting and booting back into macOS. Could also be a power management thing as it only really happens when on battery.

It's hard for me to troubleshoot or pinpoint anything with your set up because you're on the 2019 model. That makes the biggest difference with trackpad issues and what not. But you've tried all of the latest drivers for it?

The sound issue is a PM issue, it's just trying to figure out what exactly with PM is causing the audio to not work properly at times.

I tried following stonevil guide and tried using his files on my RB15 Base Model, I couldn't even get to the installer screen, tried deleting some of the DSDT files mentioned on his guide, and I tried using all DSDT's aswell, attempting to install mojave with vettz files now, let's see how it goes.

EDIT: No luck using vettz files aswell.
The errors you're getting are consistent with those that you get if you try to install OSX on the stock SSD that the Razer Blade comes with. Did you upgrade the SSD to an approved one that works with OSX?

The errors you're getting are consistent with those that you get if you try to install OSX on the stock SSD that the Razer Blade comes with. Did you upgrade the SSD to an approved one that works with OSX?
I’m using Samsung 860 Evo sata ssd, i removed the m.2 ssd for the installation and it has windows on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back