Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same issue. Have you fixed it?

The solution was explained in previous pages. To avoid the jumpy trackpad, you have to use VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC and also SMCBatteryManager.kext instead of ACPIBatteryManager.kext.

You should also update all your kexts in order to avoid random boot fail (Lilu, WhateverGreen, AppleALC) but you will then have the random audio issue on boot.

If someone can help also :
- I'm using a Samsung U28H750 display. It works pretty well with my desktop build under Mojave but not with the Blade. I can't get DisplayPort 1.2 to work. Everytime I plug the USB-C to Displayport cable it's just like if it can't detect resolution over 1440p@60hz (in low res mode). It flickers both screen indefinitely...and never output anything. With DP 1.1 in the OSD display settings it works but only @30hz which is very sad...

- I tried a bunch of USB-C cables thanks to amazon and I ended up with the most expensive one, the Moshi USB-C to DP (the one on the apple store) but it's the same.

- When I look at Thunderbolt in System Report I see nothing but "Thunderbolt: No hardware was found." but the USB-C to DP is showing in the USB section with a speed up to something like 10Mb/s..

- I think the issue is that the Blade doesn't consider the cable as a thunderbolt device but just as a USB3.1 one. It's very strange, it worked like 3 or 4 times on 2160p@60hz with the cable but very very very few times.

- I tried everything...TB3 patch of previous page, SwitchResX etc. Maybe I need to set something like device properties for the screen in config.plist but I'm not that much an advanced user.

Tomorrow I should receive a USB-C to HDMI adapter. I already tried a USB-C to HDMI cable and my monitor just flicker with orange image very fast (hopefully I'm not an epileptic guy ahah). Will see tomorrow. It's soooo sad that I can't get the Blade to work with my monitor.

Please help me, I'm desperate...

The solution was explained in previous pages. To avoid the jumpy trackpad, you have to use VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC and also SMCBatteryManager.kext instead of ACPIBatteryManager.kext.

You should also update all your kexts in order to avoid random boot fail (Lilu, WhateverGreen, AppleALC) but you will then have the random audio issue on boot.

- I'm using a Samsung U28H750 display. It works pretty well with my desktop build under Mojave but not with the Blade. I can't get DisplayPort 1.2 to work. Everytime I plug the USB-C to Displayport cable it's just like if it can't detect resolution over 1440p@60hz (in low res mode). It flickers both screen indefinitely...and never output anything. With DP 1.1 in the OSD display settings it works but only @30hz which is very sad...

- I tried a bunch of USB-C cables thanks to amazon and I ended up with the most expensive one, the Moshi USB-C to DP (the one on the apple store) but it's the same.

- When I look at Thunderbolt in System Report I see nothing but "Thunderbolt: No hardware was found." but the USB-C to DP is showing in the USB section with a speed up to something like 10Mb/s..

- I think the issue is that the Blade doesn't consider the cable as a thunderbolt device but just as a USB3.1 one. It's very strange, it worked like 3 or 4 times on 2160p@60hz with the cable but very very very few times.

- I tried everything...TB3 patch of previous page, SwitchResX etc. Maybe I need to set something like device properties for the screen in config.plist but I'm not that much an advanced user.

Tomorrow I should receive a USB-C to HDMI adapter. I already tried a USB-C to HDMI cable and my monitor just flicker with orange image very fast (hopefully I'm not an epileptic guy ahah). Will see tomorrow. It's soooo sad that I can't get the Blade to work with my monitor.

As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

Sorry that's done ahah !

Unfortunately I don’t have any TB3 devices to test, so there’s not a lot I can do... That said, I use my USB-C to HDMI dongle daily and haven’t had any issues with it (at 1080p@60Hz that is). So I’m pretty sure you’ll be fine as well!

it's interesting - will we ever see nv drivers for mojave?

it's interesting - will we ever see nv drivers for mojave?

I think those drivers will never be shipped. I even doubt that apple will allow nvidia drivers on Catalina as they might have an agreement with AMD. IMO Apple will do everything to push the new proprietary double gpu form factor as the default mac pro solution...but it's just my opinion, I have no clues.

But...GREAT NEWS ! The USB-C to HDMI adapter give me a full 2160p@60hz with no issues !! The first cable might have been defective..I recommend to use an adapter instead of an end to end cable.

I think those drivers will never be shipped. I even doubt that apple will allow nvidia drivers on Catalina as they might have an agreement with AMD. IMO Apple will do everything to push the new proprietary double gpu form factor as the default mac pro solution...but it's just my opinion, I have no clues.

But...GREAT NEWS ! The USB-C to HDMI adapter give me a full 2160p@60hz with no issues !! The first cable might have been defective..I recommend to use an adapter instead of an end to end cable.

Interesting.. I'm having trouble getting 1440p@144hz to work with my blade. 1440p@60hz works well but anything above 60hz and I'll have the same thing you had (monitors just flickering and trying to detect). I'm using a USB-C to DP cable at the moment (works fine in Windows). Pretty sure it worked at 144hz a few times too, but no luck since.

Do you have audio over DP/HDMI working? Mine worked in the beginning but not anymore for some reason.

Maybe the solution is do ditch DP altogether and use HDMI? Could you tell me which adapter worked for you?

Interesting.. I'm having trouble getting 1440p@144hz to work with my blade. 1440p@60hz works well but anything above 60hz and I'll have the same thing you had (monitors just flickering and trying to detect). I'm using a USB-C to DP cable at the moment (works fine in Windows). Pretty sure it worked at 144hz a few times too, but no luck since.

Do you have audio over DP/HDMI working? Mine worked in the beginning but not anymore for some reason.

Maybe the solution is do ditch DP altogether and use HDMI? Could you tell me which adapter worked for you?

I had absolutely no luck with DP, and I tried a lot of cables and adapter...so I think there's no way you will make it work above 1440p or @60hz. Your problem was exactly mine, no detection, flickering, worked a very few lucky time...

It worked fine also for me at 1440p@60hz, I think it's an issue with the DP 1.2. And because you need to be on DP 1.2 for higher refresh rate or resolution there's no way to make it work...

For the HDMI adapter I bought the Ivanki one. But it may not be the best quality, (I get some glitch if I move it a little bit in the usb port). At least it work. But not as well as I said yesterday ahah. The trick to make it work is to :
- Put the monitor on auto detect
- Shut the Blade lid
- Plug the adapter with everything connected when the green light first appear (the led on the front side of the Blade)
- Open the lid, and...voila. It work almost all of the time.

It's not 100%, but It sufficient to calm my nerves ahah, the last few days was kind of a nightmare..and I have work to do ahah !

EDIT : Oh and I have no idea about audio because I use an external card and my external display has no speakers sorry...

Last edited:
I had absolutely no luck with DP, and I tried a lot of cables and adapter...so I think there's no way you will make it work above 1440p or @60hz. Your problem was exactly mine, no detection, flickering, worked a very few lucky time...

It worked fine also for me at 1440p@60hz, I think it's an issue with the DP 1.2. And because you need to be on DP 1.2 for higher refresh rate or resolution there's no way to make it work...

For the HDMI adapter I bought the Ivanki one. But it may not be the best quality, (I get some glitch if I move it a little bit in the usb port). At least it work. But not as well as I said yesterday ahah. The trick to make it work is to :
- Put the monitor on auto detect
- Shut the Blade lid
- Plug the adapter with everything connected when the green light first appear (the led on the front side of the Blade)
- Open the lid, and...voila. It work almost all of the time.

It's not 100%, but It sufficient to calm my nerves ahah, the last few days was kind of a nightmare..and I have work to do ahah !

EDIT : Oh and I have no idea about audio because I use an external card and my external display has no speakers sorry...

Cool, that sounds promising. Not really what I would call plug&play but I'll take it :D

I'll get an HDMI adapter then and report back. It's weird because I thought DP over USB-C would be less of a hassle since there is no conversion or anything going on. But yeah, it does sound like it's a DP1.2 issue, even though my monitor says it's using 1.2. Oh well..

With new Voodoo kexts I believe touchpad had become better. More precise and accurate. What do you think guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back